Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about upgrading brake pads & rotors on my V6 P-AWS TLX because the performance of the stock ones aren't enough for me. Just not sure as to what I should get, since I am not very familiar with any of the brands.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am thinking about upgrading brake pads & rotors on my V6 P-AWS TLX because the performance of the stock ones aren't enough for me. Just not sure as to what I should get, since I am not very familiar with any of the brands.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
Well, how often do you take your car to the track?? >:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Never really, since I don't want to beat on it too hard, but I'd like to have the car stop faster than it does stock.
Before you change your brakes, you may want to change your tires. Having good brakes won't do you any good if your tires don't have the grip to use the brakes to their full potential.

And if you're tracking the car and just daily driving, why do you need better brakes? If they're worn out and you want to improve the brake feel and shorten the braking distance then sure. But otherwise, do you really need it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Steps to great braking. By, Me.

1. Tires. Great tires will make for great braking performance.
2. Pads: EBC Red Stuff are fantastic for enthusiastic driving.
3. Rotors: Don't get anything that's been drilled.
4. Stainless steel brake lines.

Really though, try a set of UHP Summer tires. It'll blow your mind.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
All of the above.

Better tires first. "IF" anyone make better quality pads, EBC, Stoptech, etc makes pads, those might be a start. Cross drilled rotors look great, but thats about it on a street car, slotted chews up pads. SS lines, pads and fluid that wont boil.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I wouldn't run higher temp brake fluid on the street, since it's optimal when the brakes are heated up and you'll never reach that temp by daily driving.

i hear you tho, i feel like the TLX is a bit under-braked. i'm working on a big brake upgrade, using fresh rebuilt TL type S brembos, and getting a bracket made so that they will still clear the factory 17's; if anything clear them with a 5mm spacer.

another option i'm looking into is a stop-tech big brake kit, i just have to get off my butt and print out the measuring template to see if they will clear the wheels; also D2 has a big brake kit as well. i'm going one of these three routes soon so i'll report back.

oh and having tracked with daily driving blank, slotted and cross drilled rotors, personally i like slotted rotors the best. MTD is right they do eat pads but...meh

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Putting new tires on the car is already in the plans. I am either going for Pilot Supersports or potenza s-04 pole position. Would like to hear your guys' input on this.

I have been looking at EBC pads & rotors, might go for those.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Putting new tires on the car is already in the plans. I am either going for Pilot Supersports or potenza s-04 pole position. Would like to hear your guys' input on this.

I have been looking at EBC pads & rotors, might go for those.
I had Pilot Supersports with stoptech x-drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on my civic si. LOVE them.

I am now waiting for them to make OE fitment for the TLX.

On a side note, it's sad that my 60% tread Michelin Alpin PA3 snow tires has better traction in rain and dry than the stock LS2's... I almost wanted to just run them all year round...

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
While the Super Sports are expensive and only have a 60K Kms treadwear rating, I find they are the best tire I've ever had on a vehicle. They really transform the car...although I only had the LS2s to compare them to on the TLX.

I agree with @Vancity_TLX in that my Michelin X-ice winters are better than the LS2s as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While the Super Sports are expensive and only have a 60K Kms treadwear rating, I find they are the best tire I've ever had on a vehicle. They really transform the car...although I only had the LS2s to compare them to on the TLX.

I agree with @Vancity_TLX in that my Michelin X-ice winters are better than the LS2s as well.
Is there a noticeable difference in road noise between the stock tires and your super sports?

My biggest problem with the stock tires is that since I have the v6 FWD model (still pissed I didn't get the SH-AWD), the tires even with traction control enabled easily spin out from a stand still. Hoping to fix that issue with my next set of tires.

I had Pilot Supersports with stoptech x-drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on my civic si. LOVE them.

On a side note, it's sad that my 60% tread Michelin Alpin PA3 snow tires has better traction in rain and dry than the stock LS2's... I almost wanted to just run them all year round...
Does stoptech have nothing available for the TLX right now?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stoptech has the OE rotors; not slotted or x-drilled

·
Registered
10 Posts

Seeing your user name and I assume ur in Vancouver? It yes then it's AWESOME! We have a FB and whatsapp group for Vancouver and nearby cities' TLX owners! And we are gonna have a meeting on the 20th, which is the day after tomorrow! Let me know if interested, and my Whatsapp:7786812108 Shoot me a message and you shall have connection to all of our group members!!! Thanks:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought some new Yokohama tires to replace the Bridgestones that came with the car. The difference is super obvious. The car now grips significantly better during acceleration, corners faster with no squeal, and stops much faster. Still might upgrade the brakes eventually though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with SP Performance Rotors on mine and love them. It's been about 6 months now and they still feel like new. Even with my heavy foot and daily heavy traffic routes!

Definitely check them out if you are still looking.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Old thread, but has anyone tried opening up the front bumper air ducts to bring more cooling air into the front rotors?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts