Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got our ’21 TLX A spec AWD last December. About 3 months into ownership it developed brake squealing. Was really prevalent when we back out of the garage first thing in the morning. Then began to do it often during low speed braking. Took it to the dealership and they disassembled, lubed, and cleaned. Noise went away until recently as the temperature got colder. My sister has the exact same car and hers has now started to develop the same issue. I called the dealership who said Acura is aware of the issue but have no fix yet. Said I could bring it in but there’s no guarantee. He said the A specs brakes are a higher performance package and react differently when cold. Anyone else having issues? Is this another RDX brake fiasco? Car only has 6k miles!

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
149 Posts
My Sept 20 build did it occasionally...more frequently when backing out of the garage but occasionally when light braking from low speed. I blame the pads. Performed the braking equivalent of the "Italian Tuneup" by running the car up to 65 and stopping as hard as I could without invoking the ABS. Did this three times in a row. Brakes have been quiet since, but it could be they are still afraid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Happens with me in the mornings when cold. I honestly don't think it's a defect, but a reality of cars with performance oriented brakes. The 2018 C300 I had before this TLX also did it, and my dad's C43 does it. My cousin's Maserati Quattroporte does it, so does his dad's GLE 43. No way around it, and it's not necessarily a sign of a defect. As long as it goes away after using them and warming them up you should be fine

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
51 Posts
Most steel disk brakes begin to rust minutes after getting wet, and tend to squeak the first few times you use them afterwards, that is normal, My Type S does not make any noise so I am not familiar with other models, but some semi metallic brake pads are notorious for being noisy, if that bother you a lot, go with some after market ceramic pads they are quieter and much cleaner than metallic,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I get spending my money for a better experience after I wear through the first set, but the cars got 6k miles on it and has done it since we’ve had it. We had an ‘18 Tech and had not one problem out of it. I guess you roll the dice on a complete redesign! The battery on my sisters A spec just crapped out after 6 months, leaving her stranded waiting for roadside assistance to pick it up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most steel disk brakes begin to rust minutes after getting wet, and tend to squeak the first few times you use them afterwards, that is normal, My Type S does not make any noise so I am not familiar with other models, but some semi metallic brake pads are notorious for being noisy, if that bother you a lot, go with some after market ceramic pads they are quieter and much cleaner than metallic,
Honda and Acura pads are ceramic.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Happens with me in the mornings when cold. I honestly don't think it's a defect, but a reality of cars with performance oriented brakes. The 2018 C300 I had before this TLX also did it, and my dad's C43 does it. My cousin's Maserati Quattroporte does it, so does his dad's GLE 43. No way around it, and it's not necessarily a sign of a defect. As long as it goes away after using them and warming them up you should be fine
Some luxury car desire it like that to cause attention of others, Jaguar does that too and now my 2021 Type S do that too. Hopefully is nothing, Acura make Type S only 2000 of them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Acura Type S brakes are Brembo brakes, not the standard non S type caliper and pads, which are ceramic pads (maybe the S uses semi metallic). Lot of luxury cars (BMWs, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) use a semi metallic pad that need a little heat to allow them to work without noise, secondly if the car has been standing the rotors may get a little coat of rust, from the brake dust.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts