Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done a trim and grille blackout on a Fathom Blue Pearl TLX? If so, pics?
Thanks.

EDIT: A few weeks after posting this, I "took the plunge" and started in on this. It's been stalled for quite some time, but hoping to make more progress over the winter when outside activities dwindle.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
There has been plenty with pics here on the forum. May not be your color, but do a search.

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Here's a few from my quick search!
BIG improvement.

Ever since I saw what the production TLX looked like, seeing one in this exact combination - black with blacked out beak - was a priority to me.

Especially as i'm into "VIP Styling", seeing a VIP Acura TLX in black is a must!

VIP TL:

..mine is a wrap
I thought about trying to remove the beak without removing the bumper, but wasn't sure my hands could get to the clips on the back of the grille without breaking or stripping them.

Going at a slow pace, it probably took me about 2 hours to get the beak out, and about 2 hours to put it back. Yes, a lift did help as you can see the front bumper assembly is sitting on a table. (please excuse the messy garage). I think the most difficult part for me was putting back the Aero kit that goes around the front bumper, as I had to go out and purchase some new double stick tape. Other than that, it went pretty smooth. Just go slow and take your time. There are lots of push clips that can break easily. I ordered an extra package of push clips prior to doing this job, but fortunately, didn't break any.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right. I found plenty of other colors, but not blue. That's why I've asked. Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Based on these pics that member andre12dbsi led me to online, Project Black and Blue shall commence forthwith.

On the docket:
  • Painted grille insert
  • Grille surround wrap
  • Window trim wrap
  • Rear reflector tint and trim wrap
  • Window tint (35%?)
  • Anthracite 18" wheels.
For consideration:
  • Roof wrap and fin paint/wrap
  • Rear emblem blackout or removal
  • Tail light tint (just a light smoke)

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, apparently Acura thinks folks will like it:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started small with wrapping the chrome around the rear reflectors and tinting the lenses with some light smoke LaminX.

·
Super Moderator
839 Posts
Yep - no doubt it will be a good look. Good luck with the process and post some before and after pics when you're done. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Like that subtle wrap around the reflectors... on my TLX that would look nice too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried my hand with some light smoke tint on the Acura badge on the trunk over the weekend.

I removed the TLX emblem, too. Much cleaner, and sets the stage for the black A-Spec spoiler.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, 2000. When the beak and grille surround go gloss black, the front emblem will get the same treatment.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I experimented with some electrical tape today. This is the going to be good!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
A-Spec spoiler installed.

I

Reactions: hmbecker3

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like it. Very subtle. Depending on the light, sometimes it's hard to tell if it's black or blue. The tinted emblem really fits, now, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I experimented with some electrical tape today. This is the going to be good!
View attachment 25170
View attachment 25171
I blacked my window trim out over the weekend using a pre-cut vinyl kit that I got on eBay for $40. The quality of the vinyl is pretty good and it's glossy so it matches the window pillar. I used a hair dryer to help it adhere better and a credit card to tuck the excess under the trim. It's not perfect but overall I'm happy with how it looks. I'm curious what a professional would charge to wrap that trim and it it would be worth just having them do it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a couple rolls of gloss black 3M film I'll be using for the window trim and grille surround. I'm not sure, though, if I'll use a single piece cut from a sheet for the rearmost portion, or if I'll just use this and leave a seam. Likely the latter, then re-do it if needed.

Speaking of re-doing: I will probably have to pull the spoiler and reposition it. The right side is ever-so-slightly higher than the left, and I know it's going to bug my OCD self down the line. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still running with the passenger side not yet blacked out :rolleyes: but I did install splash guards last weekend. Another subtle change, and they should be at least a little bit functional.
IMG_20200914_172307.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts