Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding in the back seat of my TLX and I noticed this small perforated cover in the back ceiling behind the courtesy reading lights and under the shark fin antenna. It looks more like a microphone cover or temperature sensor than a speaker - anyone know what this is (picture attached)?

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
It's related to the Bluetooth system, which is what I had a feeling it was part of. Went looking for technical information and found this:

Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® Wireless Telephone Interface
Like all Acura vehicles, the TLX has a standard Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® hands free telephone interface that is designed to work with most Bluetooth®-enabled mobile phones. Bluetooth® is a radio frequency-based technology that allows portable devices (such as mobile cellular telephones, PDAs, and laptop computers) to communicate wirelessly. The TLX's HandsFreeLink® system is compatible with Bluetooth®-enabled cellular phones that have the Hands Free Profile (HFP). After the driver completes a one-time pairing process, the TLX can communicate wirelessly and securely with the driver's cell phone when it is within approximately 10 feet of the car. The phone needs to be on, but can be stored in a pocket, briefcase, purse, or anywhere inside the TLX cabin — thus there is no need to worry about where to place the cellular telephone.

Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® allows the driver to send or answer telephone calls without removing their hands from the steering wheel. When a call comes in, the number of the incoming caller is displayed on the Multi-Information Display (MID) located in the instrument cluster. In addition, the phone ring tone is played over the audio system. If the driver chooses to answer the phone call, a press of the steering wheel-mounted "Pick up" button mutes the audio system and the incoming caller is heard over the TLX's audio system speakers. Working with an overhead array microphone, the HandsFreeLink® system helps cancel "echo effect" and reduces background noise to improve the transmission quality of the driver's speech.

To send a call hands-free, the TLX driver can dial the number by voice, again using fingertip controls mounted on the steering wheel to activate the system. The driver also can store frequently called numbers in the system's memory using unique voice tags. Up to six different compatible mobile phones can be registered with the TLX's Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® system.
In today's connected world, big brother knows enough about you to make you feel uncomfortable, even with your TLX out of the picture ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts