Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you choose and why?

One is FWD with the option of AWD while the others are both RWD or AWD.

Though the TLX is FWD bias regardless.

The TLX is the newest one and might have some newer features that the IS and Q50 may not have (led headlights?)

All are V6s. All relatively fuel efficient. All decently fast.

None of them available in manual though the TLX has the most gears I believe

What about DESIGN? How would you compare the designs?

To me the TLX seems to be the most conservative while the Q50 is a bit more aggressive but still very handsome. The IS on the other hand goes to the extreme and really makes a statement with sharp lines and wicked body lines.

·
Registered
727 Posts
All 3 are great looking cars. If I had to place them in order of how good they all look. It would be Q50 with IS350 and TLX tied for second place.

But the TLX we're seeing above is a concept, still not the production model.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acura has a tendency of releasing "concepts" that are really production ready.

So the TLX should be pretty much 99% production. The IS might be too youthful for some

The Q50 and TLX are a bit more mature looking. I do like how the new Q50 looks. Awesome upgrade from the G37 sedan.

The TLX.. I can't get over how much it looks like an ILX and RLX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally, the Lexus IS 350 is the best out of the 3, because they are just as if not more reliable than the Acura. It also good resale value too, you can expect any lexus cars to last over 160,000km-200,000km before something needs to be replaced. The design of the new lexus is in f sport is very aggressive and gives that sport sedan feel, and the handling is definitely there. However it is much more expensive and their engine seriously needs some new iterations because they are definitely milking that v6, which is not as fuel efficient.

the Q50 looks awesome, but I don't like the string assisted steering as much. However, their v6 is the most powerful one though it's not that efficient and reliability is defiantly the worst out of the 3. Infiniti resale value is pretty bad as a result.

For me, I feel the TLX is going to be the best of both worlds, The looks can be subjective, but this is definitely the best looking acura to date and the proportions are good, not too crazy but enough to keep things interesting. Since this is going to be replacing TWO models and most probably their flagship vehicle, they are going to put everything into this car, the sporty handling, the high revving fuel efficient engine, nice interior and reliability. No doubt this is going to be a best all around sport sedan that does everything right :) Oh and probably the cheapest too.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Another thing with the TLX is that once you start to consider the guesstimated pricing you can start thinking about getting a Lexus GS.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think that the IS350 is the best looking of the bunch. I know that it is a bit more extreme in terms of design but I think that is what I like about it. The TLX and the Q50 both are too conservative for my tastes. The Q50 is nice looking but doesn't push boundaries at all. The TLX looks like a Camry that they slapped a fancy grille and headlights onto. I think that if you are going to build a car that is on the conservative side you need to make sure that it is going to be able to be iconic for years to come. That is what BMW has with its 4-Series sedan. I'll be awaiting the production TLX but I am not holding my breath really.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I think that the IS350 is the best looking of the bunch. I know that it is a bit more extreme in terms of design but I think that is what I like about it. The TLX and the Q50 both are too conservative for my tastes. The Q50 is nice looking but doesn't push boundaries at all. The TLX looks like a Camry that they slapped a fancy grille and headlights onto. I think that if you are going to build a car that is on the conservative side you need to make sure that it is going to be able to be iconic for years to come. That is what BMW has with its 4-Series sedan. I'll be awaiting the production TLX but I am not holding my breath really.
In the end....Acura needs to look to the Germans to see what they're doing and do it on a Japanese car maker level. Acura failed.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally, the Lexus IS 350 is the best out of the 3, because they are just as if not more reliable than the Acura. It also good resale value too, you can expect any lexus cars to last over 160,000km-200,000km before something needs to be replaced. The design of the new lexus is in f sport is very aggressive and gives that sport sedan feel, and the handling is definitely there. However it is much more expensive and their engine seriously needs some new iterations because they are definitely milking that v6, which is not as fuel efficient.

the Q50 looks awesome, but I don't like the string assisted steering as much. However, their v6 is the most powerful one though it's not that efficient and reliability is defiantly the worst out of the 3. Infiniti resale value is pretty bad as a result.

For me, I feel the TLX is going to be the best of both worlds, The looks can be subjective, but this is definitely the best looking acura to date and the proportions are good, not too crazy but enough to keep things interesting. Since this is going to be replacing TWO models and most probably their flagship vehicle, they are going to put everything into this car, the sporty handling, the high revving fuel efficient engine, nice interior and reliability. No doubt this is going to be a best all around sport sedan that does everything right :) Oh and probably the cheapest too.
You nailed it dead on the head. This is how I feel between the three as well.

The Q50 would be a great option if you were leasing. Great power, great drive. But that DAS system..... If only it didn't have it.... I love the VQV6 for power.

The IS has a great V6 as well. Invincible.. But no 6MT

To be fair the TL was the only one who had the 6MT until now...

I think one of the deciding factors for many between the TLX and the IS350 is the rear legroom.. The IS is lacking.

The Q50 is a tad bit better but it uses way too much gas and the reliability is just... well.. not guaranteed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I tried but the IS did not grow on me. The front of the IS is horrible. Tiny oddly shaped and messy headlights. Gimmicky swooshes LED. Huge open-mouth themed grille. Melting effect of the lower portion that rivals Dali's painting. Terribly looking side-mirror design. I see no harmony between the elements. Small and unpractical compared to the other two. But I understand it will appeal to the young racer-wanna-be crowd who like to get attention. The TLX and the Q50 cater to a very different crowd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried but the IS did not grow on me. The front of the IS is horrible. Tiny oddly shaped and messy headlights. Gimmicky swooshes LED. Huge open-mouth themed grille. Melting effect of the lower portion that rivals Dali's painting. Terribly looking side-mirror design. I see no harmony between the elements. Small and unpractical compared to the other two. But I understand it will appeal to the young racer-wanna-be crowd who like to get attention. The TLX and the Q50 cater to a very different crowd.
Thank you and some excellent points. My wife loves her MDX as do I, but we both miss the handling of a sports sedan as we previously had a TSX, many Accords and the ultimate H car, our s2000:D

We also like being up a little higher and will more than likely eventual end up with the RDX after the MMY update if it gets the Advance package and I have interest in the upcoming Lexus NX:confused:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thank you and some excellent points. My wife loves her MDX as do I, but we both miss the handling of a sports sedan as we previously had a TSX, many Accords and the ultimate H car, our s2000:D

We also like being up a little higher and will more than likely eventual end up with the RDX after the MMY update if it gets the Advance package and I have interest in the upcoming Lexus NX:confused:
Me too, I'm seriously considering the next update of the RDX. I want the utility and storage room of an SUV. But it's tempting to upgrade to a TLX (if I like it in person) from my '05 TSX (with oem bodykit), which is obviously showing its age. Still love the look though.

·
Registered
430 Posts
solution, TLX Wagon ;)

I hear you on the IS headlamps, whats worrying to me is they seem deadset on applying the same jangled look to all their vehicles, even that poor, poor NX. Little guy never stood a chance!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The profile view of the IS is pretty good though. It basically hides everything that I find ugly (except the side-mirrors and those "folds" at the bottom of the doors, which I find weird. Reminds of accidental folds at the bottom of a shirt).

The rear is not bad either.

The three quarter view is the worst to me.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The IS just looks like its melting, the way the tails droop off on the same line as the folded shirt lines down below the doors and the lose looks like its coming away...

What scares me is that someone was sitting around one day and said to themselves, yes this is what people want!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well if you're going to compare the TLX to the IS I believe that this side view comparison will help...

The TLX pretty much copies the prior generation IS side profile styling with just slight tweaks for the engine/drivetrain layout.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow that's pretty sad, but in the end, how I see it is Acura did improve and did come out with a great vehicle when compared to what they did offer, that is a win.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well if you're going to compare the TLX to the IS I believe that this side view comparison will help...

The TLX pretty much copies the prior generation IS side profile styling with just slight tweaks for the engine/drivetrain layout.

[/QUOTE]

that's unfortunately identical, my myyyyyy....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts