Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2015 Acura TLX Tech 4 cylinder. Generally very pleased with the car. In the past 4 months I have been stranded (called AAA twice) or had to jump start if near my home. Local Acura dealer replaced the battery at the end of February 2021. Within 2 months I needed another jump start. I had gone on a 7 day trip and left the Acura at home. I jumped it again (it took 20 minutes of charging before it would start). This morning the dealer informs me that if you are leaving the vehicle more than 3 days put it on a trickle charger. They said it's a common problem with the electronic version (too much of an "electric draw" when even sitting). What do you do if you leave your car at an airport lot on a 1-2 week trip? I have always recognized the constant electric draw but in this day and age they can't get a battery to last over 3 days?? I can't believe this is the only answer. Anyone else have a similar experience? Acura any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
You’ll see there are lots of posts battery related in the forum. You’re not alone. Having said that, 3 days is excessive. I had a 2015 TLX and left it at the airport for 2 weeks multiple times with no issues. When the battery did start to go however, it was very unpredictable. It sounds like another bad battery but it may be tough getting the service dept at the dealership to agree.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
87 Posts
It would be nice if the cars had an "airplane mode" option like phones do so one could shut off all the radios and sensors and the like.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
I own a 2015 Acura TLX Tech 4 cylinder. Generally very pleased with the car. In the past 4 months I have been stranded (called AAA twice) or had to jump start if near my home. Local Acura dealer replaced the battery at the end of February 2021. Within 2 months I needed another jump start. I had gone on a 7 day trip and left the Acura at home. I jumped it again (it took 20 minutes of charging before it would start). This morning the dealer informs me that if you are leaving the vehicle more than 3 days put it on a trickle charger. They said it's a common problem with the electronic version (too much of an "electric draw" when even sitting). What do you do if you leave your car at an airport lot on a 1-2 week trip? I have always recognized the constant electric draw but in this day and age they can't get a battery to last over 3 days?? I can't believe this is the only answer. Anyone else have a similar experience? Acura any thoughts?
Like Andre, I've experienced short battery life on both my TLX's. All the electronics/safety systems on this car pose a significant drain but I'm not buying the 3 day latency recommendation. I've left my car (garaged) for up to two weeks at a time and not had a problem.

This is not a solution but here's something you can do as a prevention measure from being stranded - Buy a HALO Bolt portable power source. They last well over a year on a single charge and works great for jumping your car. It's small enough (little bigger than a paperback novel) and fits easily in your glove box. Roughly $100-$120 - so a cheap investment IMHO. It has multiple inputs for charging all kinds of things including your cell phone if you need to have that done while driving on a long trip.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
It would be nice if the cars had an "airplane mode" option like phones do so one could shut off all the radios and sensors and the like.
That is a great idea.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
This is not a solution but here's something you can do as a prevention measure from being stranded - Buy a HALO Bolt portable power source. They last well over a year on a single charge and works great for jumping your car.

View attachment 26134
I wonder if you can put some sort of power bank in the console DC outlet to keep a trickle-charge on the battery? I would like to have the car start without having to re-enter any radio codes. Also, I would like to hide the power bank.

I had the 2015 TLX and 2016 TLX and luckily I never experience these issues. The battery on the 2016 did die at the two-year mark.

I do like the idea of an airplane mode that @rbmorse suggested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my third battery for my 2015 TLX. Got tired of these crappy batteries and had AAA replace it. Even if this battery doesn't last any longer than the Acura one, it will get replaced in my garage. It's way more convenient and about $100 cheaper. But, if your brand new battery can't go three days, there is something else wrong here (or they sold you a defective battery).

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds familiar!!!
I also have a TLX 2015. Had the same issues with the battery in 2017. I called the AAA for jumps also twice, after coming back from trips. Finally, on my third trip to the dealer, I insisted that they really check the battery. I had a wonderful service manager that did that and he told me that the battery was a faulty one from the factory. This had been the original battery that came with the car! It was not the first time that I went to the dealer, but the response always was that these cars with all the sophisticated systems need to be driven more often! They had suggested that I get a portable battery charger so if and when I was out of town I would not have a problem. I thought at the time, that it was ridiculous! Other cars with complicated electrical systems start with no problem.
Anyway, they did change the battery and since then I did not have any problem even after lengthy trips and/or the car not being driven as often. Just my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 TLX Adv and six cylinder with 21,000 miles. My car sits 4-6 weeks sometimes and i have never had a battery issue. I replaced the battery when the car was 5 years old. After 7 days of inactivity I get an email stating the car has gone into low power mode and a text saying my Acuralink has become inoperative. When I start it I get an email and text stating everything is restored. I’m not sure what low power mode is and don’t remember changing any settings to turn it on. Not sure if the inactivity period can be set shorter to conserve power. Sounds to me like an issue besides a battery.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
I’ve received that message as well mostly when I leave the car at the airport. I believe it’s a built in feature to shut some services off to preserve battery life. There’s no way to adjust the timing.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
Is that a feature of the Premium tier for AcuraLink? I wasn't aware that it would monitor power drain and alert you by email.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar issue with my ‘15 V6, and it ended up being a key fob issue. We went back and forth for months and my battery kept testing fine; they even gave me a new battery free of charge because I was only at 60k miles (I have a great dealership). The key fob wouldn’t/couldn’t connect to the car. It was so annoying.

·
Premium Member
4,995 Posts
Is that a feature of the Premium tier for AcuraLink? I wasn't aware that it would monitor power drain and alert you by email.
I never had the top tier of Acuralink so it wasn’t that. I had the middle tier, so Connect. After about 7-9 days of the car being parked I would get an email to say the car was entering low power mode...or something like that..and that the remote functions of AcuraLink wouldn’t be available. Once I started the car I would get another email to say Acuralink connectivity was restored.

·
Super Moderator
1,052 Posts
I never had the top tier of Acuralink so it wasn’t that. I had the middle tier, so Connect. After about 7-9 days of the car being parked I would get an email to say the car was entering low power mode...or something like that..and that the remote functions of AcuraLink wouldn’t be available. Once I started the car I would get another email to say Acuralink connectivity was restored.
Thanks - I never had the top tier either and only briefly signed up for Connect.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
I had a 2014 Pilot and the battery would drain some nights but not every night. The dealer kept saying that the battery was fine and even gave me a new one to prove it.

So when it happened again, I told him that there must be something mechanically wrong, so FIX it.

After 3 days, they said it was ready to pick up. When I got there, he showed me a solenoid and said it was defective. That solenoid was part of the air condition circuit that locked and released the flywheel on the A/C pump. The nights that the battery drained were when I shut the car off with the A/C on and the nights it didn't were when I shut the car off when the A/C was not on.

I mention this just to explain that it is not always the battery's fault when it drains. I have left my car sit in the driveway for over a week and never had a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts