Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2015 TLX 4-cyl w/Tech. 33 months after purchase, I drove it work one morning. In the afternoon, it didn't start. After begging for a jump from colleagues, I took it to the dealer. They found 2 dead cells on the battery, replaced it under warranty coverage, everything went back to normal. In another 33 months, I had the identical experience. I got stranded again. Same diagnosis and resolution.
I don't think this is just a bad coincidence given some other battery related threads here. I am not convinced it is a battery defect either. I believe some electronic component doesn't shut itself off properly from time-to-time and causes battery drain. Overdrain leads to dead cells in battery. 33 months is a short time to expect battery failure. I have never seen this sort of abrupt battery failure with other cars I had. I observe that battery typically deteriorates slowly based on battery tests performed during oil changes. I always get it replaced at about 4 years before waiting for an unpleasant surprise.
Why cannot Acura address the root cause of this issue? If they happened to address it in later model years, why cannot they issue a recall and get this fixed for the early buyers like us? I am disappointed to say the least. A new Acura should not leave you stranded twice in its first 5.5 years. Reliability is one of the main reasons people choose Honda/Acura.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
Welcome to the forum, albeit under unfortunate circumstances given your post. You'll find multiple discussion threads on the forum that are linked to short battery life. To be honest with you, I'd be thrilled with 33 months out of a TLX battery. I live in a hot (Arizona) climate and have owned two TLX's since 2015 and have never gotten more than 18 months out of a battery. Fortunately for me, in all cases, I was not left stranded as I noticed tell-tale signs of some of the electronics not functioning properly leading me to a quick trip to the dealer for a battery test and replacement.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I got about 4 years out of my 2015 Tech battery.
I noticed it began to crank slower and slower, until one morning it wouldn't.
I replaced it with an AGM battery which should be able to handle the discharging better.

I think part of the slow drain is the AcuraLink connection.

Also, I now carry a batteryless jump starter in the trunk of my TLX.
Never have to worry about keeping it charged, and I can jump myself so long as the battery isn't completely drained.

·
Super Moderator
719 Posts
I got about 4 years out of my 2015 Tech battery.
I noticed it began to crank slower and slower, until one morning it wouldn't.
I replaced it with an AGM battery which should be able to handle the discharging better.

I think part of the slow drain is the AcuraLink connection.

Also, I now carry a batteryless jump starter in the trunk of my TLX.
Never have to worry about keeping it charged, and I can jump myself so long as the battery isn't completely drained.
Good advice - I bought one of those Halos. It's about the size of a paperback novel and fits easily into the glove box. It holds a charge forever (not literally) and the one time I had to use it, the car started right up. Great piece of mind investment for about $100.

·
Registered
146 Posts
A lithium jump pack lives in each of our three vehicles. (y)

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum, albeit under unfortunate circumstances given your post. You'll find multiple discussion threads on the forum that are linked to short battery life. To be honest with you, I'd be thrilled with 33 months out of a TLX battery. I live in a hot (Arizona) climate and have owned two TLX's since 2015 and have never gotten more than 18 months out of a battery. Fortunately for me, in all cases, I was not left stranded as I noticed tell-tale signs of some of the electronics not functioning properly leading me to a quick trip to the dealer for a battery test and replacement.
Thanks for all the feedback. I don't live in a climate as hot as Arizona, but I think 18 months is crazy short for the life of a car battery. That actually solidifies my suspicion of an existing issue. Even at 33 months, my dealer keeps changing the battery for free under warranty. My misfortune was not seeing any signs at all battery would fail. I guess I will have to invest in a portable jump starter. Not sure if I should pick a lithium ion or capacitive one though. They both have pros and cons.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I don't think it would matter both will fade and need to be kept charged... having one is a good option. In all my cars I carry a portable jumper and jumping cables. If anything not for me but I have helped others too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don't think it would matter both will fade and need to be kept charged... having one is a good option. In all my cars I carry a portable jumper and jumping cables. If anything not for me but I have helped others too.
The batteryless (super capacitor) version that I carry doesn’t have to be kept charged. That’s the beauty of it, throw it in your trunk and forget about it until you need it. It uses the power from your drained battery to charge itself up in less than 5 minutes and then delivers that power back to start your car.
The one I got from amazon for about $130 is the Rezervo RZ-300mini.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts