Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been searching and have noticed that there are some differences that one would not expect in all variances of the TLX.

I'm not talking features; those are clearly documented in the brochure/Acura.com site. Here are some clarifications I'm seeking:

Cargo volume: per Acura.com:
  • 13.2 cu ft: without Advance Package
  • 14.3 cu ft: with Advance Package
Why is there a difference? Is it just that they provide access to the lower region and count that as cargo volume

Rear seat floor mats: someone posted a question to CARiD if Weathertech is making read floor mats for SH-AWD. Why would they be different from FWD?

There could be others that I cannot recall right now, but chime in if you have identified some and either know or are seeking an explanation.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I'm guessing the difference for the rear floor mats world be the hump in the middle of the floor in the AWD that the FWD wouldn't have.

Not sure about the cargo volume. I'm also not sure what you mean by "provide access to lower region".

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is all speculation

- per p476 of the Handbook, some models have a foam storage bin and others a plastic storage bin. The latter provides some additional space. Some design genius came up with this concept. Who knows why it was approved.

- The FWD has a hump in the back and is surprising that it would be different from the SH-AWD. Maybe it was done by the same design genius.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is a difference in storage between the "foam" and "plastic" storage bins in the "under floor storage area." I am not sure which models get the plastic, but certainly my AWD Advanced (Elite) has it. The difference looks like it could be about a cu ft. Page 195 of the updated owner's manual shows the two bins. Owner's Manuals | 2015 Acura TLX | Acura Owners Site

·
Registered
144 Posts
Advance FWD also has the plastic in the trunk. I guess that leaves the 4 cyl with the foam.>:D

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Ohhhhh. The trunk. Now I'm following the conversation. I was about to start lifting the mats in the car to find some mysterious storage area. I didn't have access to the owners manual at work.

Yes, the difference in storage bins probably account for the extra space in the specs.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
It would be really handy if the manufacturer would print one so you could keep it in your glove box......oh wait...

I have them book marked on my phone if I need them as well as the link in the Acura Link app. I just didn't have access at the time I was reading this post and trying to imagine what storage area the OP was referring to. It makes complete sense now. Lol.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That storage bin in the trunk as simple as it seems, is prob one of my fav features of the car. My duty or lunch bag, bots, couple bags of groceries... all fit perfect.

Ive noticed the bin looks like it can have dividers added. Do they sell those anywhere?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I love that storage bin too. i had a small rubbermaid bin with all my cleaning supplies in the trunk of the tsx and all too often it would end up tipped over and everything thrown across the trunk. now i have a few cleaning things in the bin and nothing in the trunk, keeps things nice and tidy.

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Link to Manuals

There is a difference in storage between the "foam" and "plastic" storage bins in the "under floor storage area." I am not sure which models get the plastic, but certainly my AWD Advanced (Elite) has it. The difference looks like it could be about a cu ft. Page 195 of the updated owner's manual shows the two bins. Owner's Manuals | 2015 Acura TLX | Acura Owners Site
Thanks for the link to the Manuals. I had the Owner's Guide and the Navigation Guide as I thought those would cover all the bases. Now that I have the Updated Owner's Manual, I have successfully killed several hours reading it (with many more pages to go). Dual screens with several open windows helps too. I have that sinking feeling that I will now know more than the dealer when I pull the trigger on my V6 FWD Advance!!:D

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
They are expensive. They only show as an option for the Advance package too. They don't show as an option for the Tech package.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It really tints my windows to pay what the dealerships are charging for accessories. 60 bucks for a windshield shade. Really? That's Mai Tyler money at Fleetwoods on Front Street!

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for the link to the Manuals. I had the Owner's Guide and the Navigation Guide as I thought those would cover all the bases. Now that I have the Updated Owner's Manual, I have successfully killed several hours reading it (with many more pages to go). Dual screens with several open windows helps too. I have that sinking feeling that I will now know more than the dealer when I pull the trigger on my V6 FWD Advance!!:D
Within the first six months of purchase you can order an Owner's Manual and Navigation Manual in printed copy from Acura. There is a thread somewhere in this forum that discussed that and, I think, had instructions on how to get one. I ordered a set to keep in my glove box as the DVD or CD that comes with the car doesn't work in the CD player. It took about a week and a half to two weeks to get them and they came straight from the publisher and not from Acura.;)

These are free within the first six months. You don't even pay for postage.:D

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
This is all speculation

- per p476 of the Handbook, some models have a foam storage bin and others a plastic storage bin. The latter provides some additional space. Some design genius came up with this concept. Who knows why it was approved.

- The FWD has a hump in the back and is surprising that it would be different from the SH-AWD. Maybe it was done by the same design genius.

I emailed Weathertech on the weekend to see if they are working on rear mats for the AWD and also to see if the ones for the FWD would fit.

They told me that the ones for the FWD won't fit. They also said that they are not currently working on a rear mat for the AWD. I find that strange. I would think that they would be just as big of a market for both.

I'm going to have to check out a FWD at the dealer to see what the difference is between the two models for the rear floor.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You could check with Acura parts to see if they have different sku for the AWD vs the FWD. Assuming that the Weathertech makes individual ones they might just fit. If they are one-piece over the hump then who knows. I have found the individual Acura ones quite suitable and recommend them for light use.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I just checked and they do in fact have different SKUs. I'll check them out when I'm at the dealer

The one that Weathertech makes for the FWD is one piece.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts