Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TLX has some amazing technoology. I was surprised to hear that the TLX has a front and a rear facing camera. I got used to seeing the rear facing camera in new cars that I test drove, but now they have a front camera as well. Wonder what is in store for the future?

I did find that the rear camera has three viewing modes. Normal, Wide and Looking down. I am not sure how the camera accomplishes the movement of the lens, but it works quite well :), until rain clouds the lens.:(

The normal view is pretty good, but the wide view lets you look around corners, sort of, to provide more of a view. I haven't seen the action arrows pop up yet indicating movement from the sides. I guess need to park somewhere busy.

I also like the Looking down view to see the curb or any thing else from above looking straight down toward the pavement. I wish they had a Looking down view for the front of the car. I know I have hit many of those high curbs.

Normal

Wide

Top or Looking down

The front camera does a lot with LKAS to keep the car within the lanes. It's been too bright out to see the front camera, but this picture shows a clear shot of it and the other sensors on facing the front of the car.

Front Camera

·
Registered
93 Posts
True.

How does the rain sensor work? It's somewhere near the front camera, I think.
It's a gel like substance by the rear view mirror adhered to the windshield & when the rain drops start hitting that section of the windshield it'll send signals to the wipers to start wiping. The faster frequency of the rain drops the faster the wipers go or the intermittence is shorter until they go without stopping.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a gel like substance by the rear view mirror adhered to the windshield & when the rain drops start hitting that section of the windshield it'll send signals to the wipers to start wiping. The faster frequency of the rain drops the faster the wipers go or the intermittence is shorter until they go without stopping.
Thanks Leorich. Technology is amazing.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the point of the front camera? I mean you can already look out the front windshield.
It has night vision so when you turn out your lights you can run silent. :)

LKAS uses it to keep your car in the lane, along with RADAR. Not sure if the front camera does anything else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the info. The looking down feature is pretty cool. I just bought a cheap aftermarket backup camera for my Dad and he was specifically asking for a looking down feature. Maybe I should convince him to get a TLX until I get my own. haha

BTW, have any of you noticed if the TLX front and rear are longer or shorter than you think in the driver's seat? In my 05 TSX, the front is longer than I think and the rear is shorter so I always back into parking spots. In my 05 Odyssey, it's the opposite. The rear is a lot longer and the front shorter.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info. The looking down feature is pretty cool. I just bought a cheap aftermarket backup camera for my Dad and he was specifically asking for a looking down feature. Maybe I should convince him to get a TLX until I get my own. haha

BTW, have any of you noticed if the TLX front and rear are longer or shorter than you think in the driver's seat? In my 05 TSX, the front is longer than I think and the rear is shorter so I always back into parking spots. In my 05 Odyssey, it's the opposite. The rear is a lot longer and the front shorter.
Good idea about him getting a TLX. :)

I am not sure. I am still trying to figure out how long the car is when I pull up to a garage door or into a parking space. I can get the car within the lines with no problem, but I still leave too much space if I pull in forward to a space. Backing in with the camera is easier, but I still need to figure where the end of the car is. At work, the hedge is not trimmed some when I see a branch about ready to touch the car, I stop. I need to learn where the lines on the screen match up with the ground and other objects.

The TLX is three inches longer than my previous TSX but it feels like a nice fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Backup Camera showing wrong color

Can someone tell me if my backup camera is malfunctioning? Everything that should look GREEN (grass, trees) shows up BROWN. This is driving me crazy. How can if fix this?

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Can someone tell me if my backup camera is malfunctioning? Everything that should look GREEN (grass, trees) shows up BROWN. This is driving me crazy. How can if fix this?

I can't recall what color the grass shows up in mine but I do remember it not being the best I've seen. Having said that, I believe it serves its purpose. During the day, I can clearly see what's behind me. At night in poorly lit areas I find the backup lights aren't quite bright enough to show a very good picture.

In the end, I suppose it does what it's meant to do and that is to show what your mirrors can't when you're backing up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting thread. While there is a front camera, it's not for us to use, just the car. It's a shame, my new F150 has the 360 camera system and it is awesome, obviously the TLX isn't as big as the F150 so the need really isn't as significant, but it is a really nice feature IMO. I'm actually a little shocked that a domestic pickup has almost as much technology as a higher end sport sedan.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
The MDX has the 360 camera (I think). Perhaps something else to add to the '18 update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
My green grass is brown in the back-up camera. Guess Acura didn't go for that 1080P camera. :)

Not any sort of issue, as it's a back-up camera so I can see what's behind me when backing up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got the video interface specifically to install a front camera, I installed the interface but was too lazy to install the front camera. The other day I parked my front bumper on top the barrier, thank g-d no visible damage

1 - 19 of 19 Posts