Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The auto lock function on my 18 ASPEC hasn't worked properly, almost, since I bought it new in April of 18. I have changed the battery on the fob and that has helped, however, it still doesn't lock automatically from time to time and my local Acura dealer is absolutely useless. Occasionally when I shut the door, leaving, it immediately sounds a very quick successive beep. (When working it's just one beep) I have to reopen and shut the door or lock it with the fob. It's left me fairly paranoid to just walk away, after closing the door. I find myself waiting to hear what kind of beep it's going to emit Any suggestions? The dealer, of course, says they can't replicate it.

·
Super Moderator
765 Posts
I know that there are some settings for the auto lock feature of the vehicle, but none of them involve exiting of the car. Only when you leave P(ark) or you drive a little in D(rive) then it will auto lock the car.
Auto Door Lock || Changes the setting for when the doors automatically lock || With Vehicle Speed/Shift From P/Off
Of course the key fob or the button on the external door handle will lock the door(s) as well as the button on the inside of the door.
Please elaborate not he Auto Lock feature that is giving you troubles.
My experiences are from the 2015!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the 2018 tlx, there is a feature whereby, when you turn the car off and exit, the doors automatically lock. This feature can be turned off or on, depending on one's preference.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Ok silly question any chance there is another key fob in the car or perhaps a door switch is bad and the car doesn't think all doors / hood is closed?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
The auto lock function on my 18 ASPEC hasn't worked properly, almost, since I bought it new in April of 18. I have changed the battery on the fob and that has helped, however, it still doesn't lock automatically from time to time and my local Acura dealer is absolutely useless. Occasionally when I shut the door, leaving, it immediately sounds a very quick successive beep. (When working it's just one beep) I have to reopen and shut the door or lock it with the fob. It's left me fairly paranoid to just walk away, after closing the door. I find myself waiting to hear what kind of beep it's going to emit Any suggestions? The dealer, of course, says they can't replicate it.
I have had that happen to me also. What I found is:
1. If I linger with the door open for just a couple of minutes before closing it, the multiple beeps will happen and I have to reopen the door or use the key fob.
2. If I close my door a couple of minutes before a passenger does, it will give the multiple beeps.

·
Super Moderator
765 Posts
Wow, so many changes/updates since the initial 2015 release!!

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
A cell phone in the same pocket as your fob will block the signal as well. I often put my phone in the same pocket as my keys without thinking about it. I’ll get the three beeps almost all the time when they’re both in the same pocket.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
Not sure if this helps at all with what you are experiencing but here is my experience with the multiple beeps (2018 TLX w/Tech):
1) I will get the multiple beeps if I exit the car and walk away too fast from it (implies that the key fob in my pocket is too far out of range (which I believe is 2 feet) too quickly, and
2) I will get the multiple beeps if I stop the car, leave it running and jump out to pick up my mail at the mailbox.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On the 2018 tlx, there is a feature whereby, when you turn the car off and exit, the doors automatically lock. This feature can be turned off or on, depending on one's preference.
I don't know why this hasn't been a feature since the inception of keyless prox entry.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Same reason I don't have heated rear seats or steering wheel heat in my 2015 but current models do now... they want you to upgrade!

·
Registered
67 Posts
@singinowl Can you (or anyone else) show us the specific page in the manual that describes this feature? I'm not doubting your assertion that this was added in the 2018 model; I just want to see how the feature is described.

I say this specifically because I misunderstood what the "Auto-Lock" feature meant, even as described in the 2015 manual. The description made me think that the car would just lock itself within a specific period of time (which is configurable in the car's settings) after I walked away. However, this is not at all what the feature does.

Rather, auto-lock is when the vehicle is unlocked, either with the fob or by touching a door handle, but, the vehicle is never actually opened (i.e., you never pull on a door handle and actually open it). Then, and only then, will my vehicle re-lock itself within the configured time period.

Also, that quick triple-beep, at least on the 2015 (and on my 2016 Accord, which is basically the same car), simply indicates, "Hey, you're walking away from the car without leaving the keys inside! If you (or someone else) drives off and stops the vehicle, you won't be able to start it!" That's all it means.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The "Auto lock" in the 2015 is if you unlock the car the remote and then a door is not opened, the car will relock itself figuring the button was pressed by mistake. That time out is user configurable.

·
Super Moderator
573 Posts
@singinowl Can you (or anyone else) show us the specific page in the manual that describes this feature? I'm not doubting your assertion that this was added in the 2018 model; I just want to see how the feature is described.

I say this specifically because I misunderstood what the "Auto-Lock" feature meant, even as described in the 2015 manual. The description made me think that the car would just lock itself within a specific period of time (which is configurable in the car's settings) after I walked away. However, this is not at all what the feature does.

Rather, auto-lock is when the vehicle is unlocked, either with the fob or by touching a door handle, but, the vehicle is never actually opened (i.e., you never pull on a door handle and actually open it). Then, and only then, will my vehicle re-lock itself within the configured time period.

Also, that quick triple-beep, at least on the 2015 (and on my 2016 Accord, which is basically the same car), simply indicates, "Hey, you're walking away from the car without leaving the keys inside! If you (or someone else) drives off and stops the vehicle, you won't be able to start it!" That's all it means.
Here you go - from the 2018 manual:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yep. That's a feature all vehicles with prox fobs should have available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts