Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate auto-idle stop with a passion, and I often forget to hit the button to disable it when I start the car. So I was happy to see there is a way to disable it in "Individual Settings" for each remote.

The problem is I cannot get it to work.

Disabling auto-idle-stop in the settings is simple enough, but the problem is it does not seem to take effect each time I start the car. Once I start the car, the auto-off indicator is not lit until I go BACK into the settings -- as soon as I hit the big A button to get into the settings, the auto-off indicator immediately goes off. So it's remembering my setting OK, but it does not seem to actually activate it when the car starts. Seems like a software bug to me unless I'm doing something really stupid.

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It won’t start up in Individual mode, unfortunately. Per page 391 of the manual:

I did the same thing you did, disabled it in Individual mode. I have gotten in the habit of just hitting the mode button each time I start the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It won’t start up in Individual mode, unfortunately. Per page 391 of the manual:

I did the same thing you did, disabled it in Individual mode. I have gotten in the habit of just hitting the mode button each time I start the car.
thanks.. really weird though, I mean why even put it into the settings for Individual mode? It makes no sense.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hate auto-idle stop with a passion, and I often forget to hit the button to disable it when I start the car. So I was happy to see there is a way to disable it in "Individual Settings" for each remote.

The problem is I cannot get it to work.

Disabling auto-idle-stop in the settings is simple enough, but the problem is it does not seem to take effect each time I start the car. Once I start the car, the auto-off indicator is not lit until I go BACK into the settings -- as soon as I hit the big A button to get into the settings, the auto-off indicator immediately goes off. So it's remembering my setting OK, but it does not seem to actually activate it when the car starts. Seems like a software bug to me unless I'm doing something really stupid.

Anyone else have this problem?
According to the manual, auto idle start stop is automatically turned on everytime you start the engine even if you turned it off. I also got annoyed by this as well but I got used to this annoying luxury feature.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,095 Posts
Acura is not the only automobile manufacturer who does this. I've rented several other brands over the last few years while on vacation trips and they all default back to Auto Idle Stop "on" whenever you start the car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone think that Acura can fix the Individual mode to remain as default on engine startup with a simple program update? Or are we stuck due to a hardware/wiring configuration that cannot be changed? Im hesitant to do the idlestop installation if this can be alleviated by Acura by pulling their heads from their rears, and give customers what they want.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,095 Posts
Anyone think that Acura can fix the Individual mode to remain as default on engine startup with a simple program update? Or are we stuck due to a hardware/wiring configuration that cannot be changed? Im hesitant to do the idlestop installation if this can be alleviated by Acura by pulling their heads from their rears, and give customers what they want.
Don't hold your breath on Acura changing anything with regards to the Auto Idle Stop. As I mentioned in my previous post it seems all automobile manufacturers have it set up this way.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
72 Posts
Im just use to it now, I get in put on my seat belt then hit the auto stop and brake hold at the same time. Its muscle memory now lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't hold your breath on Acura changing anything with regards to the Auto Idle Stop. As I mentioned in my previous post it seems all automobile manufacturers have it set up this way.
It just seems like they TRIED to accommodate us, by allowing to disable it in INDIVIDUAL mode. Which of course, still requires a press of an additional button anyway. Just very odd. Shrug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe I got lucky or something, but the auto idle start/stop doesn’t ever activate in my car despite the fact that I’ve never disabled it! I’ve driven the car in normal mode mostly, but I even left it on with my individual settings. The engine has never shut itself off when I’d normally expect it to (at a stoplight for example) for some reason.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Maybe I got lucky or something, but the auto idle start/stop doesn’t ever activate in my car despite the fact that I’ve never disabled it! I’ve driven the car in normal mode mostly, but I even left it on with my individual settings. The engine has never shut itself off when I’d normally expect it to (at a stoplight for example) for some reason.
page 399 of the owner's manual:

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when: • The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed. • The driver’s seat belt is not fastened. • The engine is adequately not warmed up or coolant temperature is high. • The transmission fluid temperature is low or high. • The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5 km/h) after the engine starts. • The vehicle is stopped on a steep incline. • The transmission is in a position other than (D. • The engine is started with the hood open. u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop. • The battery charge is low. • The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C) or less. • The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F (−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C). • The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to Hi or Lo. • is ON (indicator on). • The Integrated Dynamics System mode is changed to SPORT or SPORT+* mode. • The Auto Idle Stop is set to off on INDIVIDUAL Setting screen. 2 Customizing the INDIVIDUAL Settings P. 394

·
Registered
45 Posts
page 399 of the owner's manual:

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when: • The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed. • The driver’s seat belt is not fastened. • The engine is adequately not warmed up or coolant temperature is high. • The transmission fluid temperature is low or high. • The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5 km/h) after the engine starts. • The vehicle is stopped on a steep incline. • The transmission is in a position other than (D. • The engine is started with the hood open. u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate Auto Idle Stop. • The battery charge is low. • The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C) or less. • The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F (−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C). • The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to Hi or Lo. • is ON (indicator on). • The Integrated Dynamics System mode is changed to SPORT or SPORT+* mode. • The Auto Idle Stop is set to off on INDIVIDUAL Setting screen. 2 Customizing the INDIVIDUAL Settings P. 394
Thanks for sharing! After reading that and having tried the various settings for the car, I think the auto start/stop still should have activated. If there’s anything that may be stopping it still, my only guess is the car not being charged enough, but you’d think having the car for a few hundred miles now and generally longer drives should have done it by now.

I use climate control, but outside temps have been well within the range noted. I’ve also driven plenty without it.

Oh well. I’ll try and toy around with it more and see. Otherwise I can wait until my first oil change to bring it up if it’s still not working then. I used to always turn off the auto start/stop in my GTI because it wasn’t smooth enough. I was curious to try it in this car though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am still completely dumbfounded by this feature and manufacturer not giving people the opportunity to opt out. If its to improve official MPG , those numbers should still be official whether we turn it off or not. The fact that we can remote start these cars (20 mins?) throws out any chance of obtaining those types of efficiencies. Who the hell wants to put excess stress on our starters and batteries to save a teaspoon of gas at a red light? Not me. I spoke to a few people with different makes, even a Honda, and they can turn it off permanently. I dont get it. I ordered Acura IDS (drive mode) Controller from the idlestopper website to keep the car in individual mode, seems simple enough. I tried to get into a routine of hitting 2 buttons on startup, just didnt work out.. ugh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am still completely dumbfounded by this feature and manufacturer not giving people the opportunity to opt out. If its to improve official MPG , those numbers should still be official whether we turn it off or not. The fact that we can remote start these cars (20 mins?) throws out any chance of obtaining those types of efficiencies. Who the hell wants to put excess stress on our starters and batteries to save a teaspoon of gas at a red light? Not me. I spoke to a few people with different makes, even a Honda, and they can turn it off permanently. I dont get it. I ordered Acura IDS (drive mode) Controller from the idlestopper website to keep the car in individual mode, seems simple enough. I tried to get into a routine of hitting 2 buttons on startup, just didnt work out.. ugh.
Anytime I see something stupid, where a manufacturer forces a feature on consumers they do not want, I blame the government (EPA). I am rarely proven wrong. i could be wrong, but my guess is if you go into the minutiae of 1000 page EPA instructions on fuel mileage standards, it will require the manufacturer to default to whatever mode they used when computing the mileage (most people think the government actually computes and approves a standard mileage for the window sticker, HA! They make the manufacturer do it “to their instructions” and then take credit for it. Typical government drones.)

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
63 Posts
@Pigstuff You are correct. It is why every car with Stop/Start and drive modes reverts to the default setting on startup. Manufacturers use Stop/Start to attempt to improve fuel economy ratings, and the vehicles are tested with the feature active, therefore it has to revert to active on each ignition cycle. It's similar with the drive modes: if it's a drive mode (Sport or Individual) that could reduce fuel economy relative to the default state in which the car was tested (Normal or Comfort), the vehicle is not allowed to default to that mode on startup.

·
Registered
2022 Acura TLX Type-S black on black w/ performance tires
4 Posts
Installed this the day after I got my TLX Type-S and LOVE IT!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts