Acura TLX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a 2013 BMW 535xi that I traded in for my TLX. I felt like I was living on borrowed time with the BMW and I was disappointed with the way that the 8 year old car had no technology support from BMW anymore. That said, that 5 series was the best car that I've ever had and very dependable overall. Two gaskets and routine maintenance in 4 and 1/2 years of ownership. There is a reason why the 5 series sells for $20k-30k more than the TLX. They are far better cars. That said, I wouldn't own an older one that I needed to depend on at all.

I do agree that the TLX is a great balance of performance, luxury and price. I'm hoping that the TLX does prove more reliable and that I can be driving it for a while. When my car is out of warranty, I plan on doing a ktune if there isn't a better option.

I did find it interesting that you also had a CX-9.....that's what my wife drives right now.
The CX-9 was great! It was comfortable, quiet, and handled surprisingly well, but it just came with TERRIBLE tires from the factory. I've never felt less safe driving in the winter than I did with that car and with the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias that came with it from the factory. Replacement tires made successive winter driving experiences MUCH better.

My wife ended up getting an SUV though (she didn't want to take on the CX-9 because she didn't want something that big) and we simply didn't need two so I bought something fun, a VW GTI, since my family has had a couple before. I found that the nostalgia of having those GTIs misled me into getting something less comfortable than I'd like in my (relatively) older age though. The GTI also turned out to be a tighter fit than expected with a family (my previous GTI experiences were from me being single/dating and without children). I thought I had researched it well enough as a family vehicle, but sometimes real-life experience is needed to really feel some things out. The GTI is an amazing and fun car, and I'll always look back at my time with them positively (for the most part), but they're just not for me these days.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
The CX-9 was great! It was comfortable, quiet, and handled surprisingly well, but it just came with TERRIBLE tires from the factory. I've never felt less safe driving in the winter than I did with that car and with the OEM Bridgestone Ecopias that came with it from the factory. Replacement tires made successive winter driving experiences MUCH better.

My wife ended up getting an SUV though (she didn't want to take on the CX-9 because she didn't want something that big) and we simply didn't need two so I bought something fun, a VW GTI, since my family has had a couple before. I found that the nostalgia of having those GTIs misled me into getting something less comfortable than I'd like in my (relatively) older age though. The GTI also turned out to be a tighter fit than expected with a family (my previous GTI experiences were from me being single/dating and without children). I thought I had researched it well enough as a family vehicle, but sometimes real-life experience is needed to really feel some things out. The GTI is an amazing and fun car, and I'll always look back at my time with them positively (for the most part), but they're just not for me these days.
We haven't had terrible winter issues but I was surprised at how easy the CX-9 hydroplanes with the stock tires.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The stock Michelins that come on the A-Spec are terrible. There is no way I would trust them in the winter.

I already replaced them with Continental DWS06+ and the difference is night and day. I’m sure going to a dedicated summer tire would be better still, but I didn’t want to have to swap tires seasonally. Have done that with my past several cars and just tired of the extra cost and hassle.

·
Registered
99 Posts
. At this point it still feels more than a foot, but I’ll drive it more and try to see if I become more comfortable. At this point, though, even if you’re right and I’m wrong, a foot is still a foot. They need to put cross traffic sensors in the front. I’m not a young guy, and I used to drive a ‘75 280z and that was a low car with a huge front (with a longitudinally mounted straight 6) but even I felt the visibility was marginally better in the Z.
@flatlandTLX my wife and I switched cars for the day - I did quite a bit of driving today - and am more comfortable with the <= 1 foot reality that you diagrammed in your earlier post. Probably in most of those scenarios I described in my prior posts, I would’ve only been a little more comfortable in the accord. I retract in order to not scare people off from the good car that the TLX is.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance
31 Posts
I too came from an 18 Accord (Touring) to the 21 Advance. No regrets with my decision. Yes, you are correct, the Accord with the 2.0 is quicker, but at my age I am not concerned about 0 to 60 times. I did get the AWD which makes the car heavier, but the TLX does handle better. The TLX does have a "luxury" car feel as compared to the Accord. My 2 "beefs" are the creaking noise with the steering and my puddle lights went out in the 1st month. As you mentioned these types of annoyances will be found with all new model year vehicles. I will be taking the TLX to the dealer soon to fix my 2 issues, but really enjoy driving the car and would buy again. (Also like CtK, I do not like the fact that no spare tire is provided.) I must add that the reason I sold the 18 Accord was two-fold. I was starting to have issues with my transmission slipping (dealer kept telling me they could not replicate), and had rattles in my HUD and rear shelf that could not be fixed. GOOD LUCK with your decision.
Came here looking for someone like this. Just traded my 2018 Accord Touring 2.0 for a 2021 TLX Advance. If they can get my issue resolved (tracks to the left), I'll be very pleased with my decision overall. The car is slower from the jump, but has a significantly more balanced feel in turns at speed, and gets going plenty when you're already moving. Add the major upgrade in interior, and a superior sound system, it all adds up to the upgrade I was looking for. That being said, the Accord Touring 2.0 is the best sedan I've ever seen or driven that's not in the "luxury" class.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,124 Posts
Just to spark an old conversation, how’s everyone enjoying their TLX a year later? Almost 16,000 miles in and i still love it.
Still very happy with mine. I first owned a 2015 and now a 2018. I am a bit jealous though of the new styling of the 2022's but I can't justify trading in right now!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to spark an old conversation, how’s everyone enjoying their TLX a year later? Almost 16,000 miles in and i still love it.
I'm 10/10 happy with it since giving it Ktuner Stage 1. The ride comfort is amazing, the handling is amazing, I've grown to understand the SHAWD and the weight of the car better. Ultimate long-distance road trip car. It also feels really well built, the Mercedes C300 I had before this felt so fragile and tempermental. The tune gave it power more appropriate for the weight of the vehicle, but the biggest thing it did was eliminate the electronic lag there was between the throttle pedal and the engine/turbo. Pure luxury car now. After my lease is over I'll most likely be getting another, or a Type S, or just buying this car out and keeping it long term.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Overall, I still really like the car. Only ~8500 miles after almost a year in to having it, but it's probably the most comfortable car I've had and I'm still surprised at how well it handles. SH-AWD has really exceeded my expectations with how effective it is at putting the power down when cornering on-throttle. It's an excellent every day car, long distance cruiser, and good for occasional fun.

The only real complaints I have are:
  • a few interior rattles that admittedly don't present themselves consistently
  • mediocre tires the car comes equipped with (better tires would do more to show off the car's capabilities so much more)
  • the transmission - It works fine for day-to-day driving, but it's just not as responsive as I would like it to be. Perhaps the Type S's transmission is better (as it should be from what I've read), but the regular TLX would be appreciably more fun to drive if the transmission was tightened up even just a bit
  • I also wish the engine made just a bit more power, but it's fine most of the time
  • I suppose I wish there was just a bit more exhaust noise, but that's a personal preference

·
Registered
12 Posts
After reading about other technical issues (FAKRA connectors, especially), this thread is getting my hopes back up. I test drove a '22 A-Spec last weekend after months of watching videos, and I might get one myself. I'd be trading in my '17 Civic hatchback (I've only owned Civic hatchbacks dating back to 1990), so I'm hoping that I won't lose any reliability while making a big step up in performance and comfort.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance SH-AWD
30 Posts
Can't speak to the 22 model year, but the 21s were a new model year for the TLX. This was the 3rd time I bought a new model year car, and I swore I would never do it after buying the 18 Accord. I chalk up my issues with the 21 to the new body style and parts. It appear my issues (creaking in the steering column, fakra issue and puddle lights) have been resolved, so one has to believe that the 22 model year has resolved the issues that appeared in the 21 model year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can't speak to the 22 model year, but the 21s were a new model year for the TLX. This was the 3rd time I bought a new model year car, and I swore I would never do it after buying the 18 Accord. I chalk up my issues with the 21 to the new body style and parts. It appear my issues (creaking in the steering column, fakra issue and puddle lights) have been resolved, so one has to believe that the 22 model year has resolved the issues that appeared in the 21 model year.
I sure hope so. There’s not a whole lot of traffic on this forum (and not many other TLX forums that I’ve found) so updated info has been hard to get.

I could probably also wait till the 2023s come out, but the market values of the 22s and my ‘17’s trade-in are at a pretty good sweet spot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was at the dealer a month ago, and was told that their is no fix for the Fakra connection issue. They told me they are no longer willing to service my vehicle and that I need to go somewhere else. My screen goes black some time and says other stupid stuff like:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
296 Posts
I was at the dealer a month ago, and was told that their is no fix for the Fakra connection issue. They told me they are no longer willing to service my vehicle and that I need to go somewhere else. My screen goes black some time and says other stupid stuff like:

I’d probably call Acura Client Care Relations and speak to someone about the issue and what the dealership did (or rather didn’t do to fix it) cause how can a dealer just flat out say “there’s no fix, stop bringing your car here” kinda rude and messed up especially if it’s the dealership that you bought the car from.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
296 Posts
After reading about other technical issues (FAKRA connectors, especially), this thread is getting my hopes back up. I test drove a '22 A-Spec last weekend after months of watching videos, and I might get one myself. I'd be trading in my '17 Civic hatchback (I've only owned Civic hatchbacks dating back to 1990), so I'm hoping that I won't lose any reliability while making a big step up in performance and comfort.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the issues it’s still a pretty solid car after I had driven the 2021+ TLX for month as a loaner car when my 2019 TLX was getting major service done.
2023 models are out now and pricing has been released, not liking the price increase but I’m still gonna go ahead and try to move forward with getting a the newer TLX myself

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’d probably call Acura Client Care Relations and speak to someone about the issue and what the dealership did (or rather didn’t do to fix it) cause how can a dealer just flat out say “there’s no fix, stop bringing your car here” kinda rude and messed up especially if it’s the dealership that you bought the car from.
Would this fix for the ‘19-20 RDX apply to the TLX? https://owners.acura.com/static/pdfs/common/B21-009.pdf

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve owned my ‘21 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD for 3 weeks, and here are my thoughts:

Things I like:
  • Exterior looks. It’s a really good looking sedan IMO. I did tint the windows (35%), and added the Type S front splitter.
  • Interior looks. The whole interior is very nice looking IMO. Ergonomic and easy to use, the steering wheel is great in the hand, and I like the gauge cluster with the red backlighting.
  • Driving dynamics. I find the 2.0T to be adequate, and with SH-AWD the car has great grip on the corners.
Things I don’t particularly care for:
  • Gas mileage. Despite being slower than its German rivals, it gets worse gas mileage. I have a 25 mile drive to work that is a pretty even mix of highway and back roads, and on that drive I get about 21-22 mpg. So I’m getting about 2 mpg less than the blended rating on the window sticker.
  • Back seats. I’m 6’4”, and in a comfortable driving position, there is not much space behind my seat. My wife is 5’5”, and there is more space behind her, but it is by no means a spacious second row, despite how large the car is externally. Also, the rear doors don’t open terribly far, which makes putting larger items in the second row problematic at times.
  • The trunk opening is pretty narrow, which can make fitting taller items in the trunk difficult if not impassible (think things like coolers, larger boxes, etc.). This means you need to put them in the rear seat, but the lacking rear seat space and rear door opening angle are also not ideal (as mentioned above).
  • External size. The car is very wide, with a very long hood. While this is what makes the car look so good, it also makes knowing exactly where the front bumper is troublesome for anything except the Advance model with its 360* camera. Yes, the car does have parking sensors, but I’m still not sure how confident I am in them.
Overall, I like the car. It looks and drives great. But from a usability perspective, I think it leaves a lot to be desired, which is unfortunate because the car is so close to being really great IMO.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Advance
31 Posts
My local dealership did this to me after failing to fix a pulling to the left issue straight from the factory. Acura customer rep said they could do that since they were a privately owned dealership, whatever that means. Had to go to Savannah GA to get a technically competent service department.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you arent happy with your TLX and you express this you get to wake up to nasty texts. I paid 46K for something that dosent even work and she is mad about $650. The best part is im the bad guy who is no longer welcome at this dealer, the same dealer who sold me the car. The same dealer that delivered me the car with the tires at 50PSI and when I brought it in for shaking or a tire wobble they replaced breaks, but kept the tires at its maximum inflation level. At my job if i contacted a customer like this I would be in the unemployment line. I always wondered why the most scum bag kids growing up would work at car dealers, now it makes perfect sense.

Font Screenshot Darkness Circle

61 - 80 of 80 Posts