Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the CL was always basically the TL's coupe. With TL and TSX becoming one TLX could anyone get behind the idea or see the potential to debut a CLX or something along those lines? I think it would really bolster their lineup, consider Infiniti has the G37 and Lexus has the RC. I dont think a CLX could really play on even terms but its absence would be more conspicuous than its presence!

·
Registered
727 Posts
It was indeed a flop, at least now if you want a cheap reliable luxury coupe to mess around with you can get one of these for cheap!

·
Registered
251 Posts
What if it wasn't the size of a sedan though? Acura could make a 2 seater or at least a 4 or 5 seater that wasn't sedan sized. It could ad some excitement to their lineup.

·
Registered
339 Posts
sure they could probably make an ILX coupe with a 6 speed an LSD that might sell well

Or somehow fit a V6 in, though the chances of that happening.. well

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think about the segment. 3 series/4 series coupe, C-class/C-coupe (not sure if it will be coming back, but surely!), G37 well Q50 now/Q60, A4/A5 coupe, IS/RC Coupe...

Acura is only conspicuous by omission!

·
Registered
339 Posts
news broke out that they are seperating acura from honda so they are two seperate divisions
i have some hope here.. can we get a coupe again...

·
Registered
727 Posts
news broke out that they are seperating acura from honda so they are two seperate divisions
i have some hope here.. can we get a coupe again...
Usually when stuff like this happens it results in less barriers for them to do even better things, hopefully it's for the good

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see the thing about Acuras positioning is they have always, well not alwyas but as of the last 20 years say, operated in the pseudo-luxury, entry level segment. They've always appealed to 20 somethings and early 30 something young professionals climbing the ladder.

What kind of cars are these people buying now? 4 coupes, a5's, G37's... If Acura is serious about sticking around they need to reclaim what was once theirs :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
i agree

but that is tough

all you have to do is drive a german car, switch back to the acura.

and you already know why people prefer the german car - badge aside

acura needs to close THAT gap - before they even attempt to challenge the badge.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree

but that is tough

all you have to do is drive a german car, switch back to the acura.

and you already know why people prefer the german car - badge aside

acura needs to close THAT gap - before they even attempt to challenge the badge.
yes but closing that product gap is also going to move them up in price. And if they're competing on the same price level as germans people will go german. They need to build the best car at their price point, they're not even doing that...

·
Registered
727 Posts
yes but closing that product gap is also going to move them up in price. And if they're competing on the same price level as germans people will go german. They need to build the best car at their price point, they're not even doing that...
It's like they just want to create something thats good enough and release it, not try to set some bar in the industry or do something ground breaking.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It's like they just want to create something thats good enough and release it, not try to set some bar in the industry or do something ground breaking.
but then why should anyone buy an Acura. If you're going to compete at a certain price level, lets say arbitrarily $35K. If there are 2 cars priced at $35K, one is the bar setting benchmark, the other is Acura's me too effort, which one would you choose.

Would you honestly buy the worse vehicle because of some kind of brand allegiance or will you be buying bang for buck?

·
Registered
339 Posts
i think closing the gap will be building the best car for the price point

one in the same

they willl never win the germans... never...

but at least if they try we will get nice cars from acura.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i think closing the gap will be building the best car for the price point

one in the same

they willl never win the germans... never...

but at least if they try we will get nice cars from acura.
and it's going to kill them, sadly

·
Registered
339 Posts
Actually to think about it

if a V6 coupe with 6MT and AWD came out with Acura. It would sell

Better yet have it RWD - though I doubt it

As long as the styling is there

The CL styling obviously is outdated today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts