Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had any tips on applying touch-up paint to a new TLX?

I never used touch-up paint before, but I would like to keep my TLX looking new. When I washed the car this past weekend, I found some pretty ugly paint scratches. At least one went through the primer coat and into bare metal. It's just a dot, but still noticeable.

The touch-up paint did not come with printed instructions. Oops! As I post this I double-checked and I found some fine writing on the side of the little can. I think I might need a magnifying glass. Or better glasses. :nerd:

Is it just as simple as rolling the touch-up paint on a cleaned surface?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've not had success with using the rollerball end of the applicator. I just use the brush end. I found that the key is not to apply too much and to ignore the bump that is left after touching up the spot. This bump will flatten out as the paint dries. One touch should do the job. Of course make sure the spot is clean and dry and shake the bottle well before applying.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might want to search on Dr. Colorchip. I have used their product on my red Mustang convertible and was very satisfied with the results.

PleasantRidger
2015 TLX SHAWD Advance

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to search on Dr. Colorchip. I have used their product on my red Mustang convertible and was very satisfied with the results.

PleasantRidger
2015 TLX SHAWD Advance
I had thought about Dr. Colorchip but I was wondering how close I could get to Red Basque Pearl II. Figured I would go to the source.

Do they match manufacturers colors exactly ?

·
Registered
438 Posts
here in canada we have the sharpie type touch up paint, where you just dab on the spot. it works for me but i did a pretty terrible job coz i apply too much paint and clear coat now it's a bit blobbly

i'd say just follow the instructions on the bottle

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
222 Posts
You'll want to go on Youtube and search for "ammo nyc touch up paint" or something related, there's a really helpful video you'll find.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had thought about Dr. Colorchip but I was wondering how close I could get to Red Basque Pearl II. Figured I would go to the source.

Do they match manufacturers colors exactly ?
That is their claim. My wife, an artist with an eye for color, was satisfied that the match for my car was "perfect."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that .automotivetouchup can match the paint of the manufacturer. The paint code for Red Basque Pearl II is R548P.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think matching paint is more of an art then science. Especially with pearl and metallic paints, its tough to match. For touch-up, I always go with genuine paint from the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts