Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a nice new TLX, is there a good DVR to buy to watch over my car when I cannot be there to protect it?

At home I park in a closed garage. Unfortunately at work and various other places away from home, I need to rely on local security or no security at all. It would be nice to have a decent video recorder to at least have evidence to prosecute a vandal. :mad:

Any suggestions? :)

Also any suggestions on where to mount a recording device. Dash cams also seem to be a good investment as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone this route.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing...well sort of. I'm scheduled to pick up my TLX this Monday and am wanting a new HD dash cam. The one I had in the car I just sold only cost around $20 but only recorded in 640x480. I was looking at buying the G1W-C camera for about $60 because it records in true 1080P at 30fps. I said sort of because I am only concerned about someone hitting me while I'm driving. The car will be parked in a garage at home and I fortunately work at a secure facility. I think the G1W-C dash cam will hold about 4 hours of looping video using a 32GB SD card. The cheap dash cam that I currently have holds about 9 hours of looping video on a 16GB SD card. Just search for dash cam on Amazon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a dash cam but it have not been able to use it in the TLX. The mount will not stick to the dash. I could mount it on the windshield but I don't like doing that and then my videos would all be upside down. I might have to look for another mount.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I used to have a beanbag type mount for my gps. It's heavy and has a rubbery bottom so it won't slide. They must have the same type of thing for cameras.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

I was just thinking the same thing...well sort of. I'm scheduled to pick up my TLX this Monday and am wanting a new HD dash cam. The one I had in the car I just sold only cost around $20 but only recorded in 640x480. I was looking at buying the G1W-C camera for about $60 because it records in true 1080P at 30fps. I said sort of because I am only concerned about someone hitting me while I'm driving. The car will be parked in a garage at home and I fortunately work at a secure facility. I think the G1W-C dash cam will hold about 4 hours of looping video using a 32GB SD card. The cheap dash cam that I currently have holds about 9 hours of looping video on a 16GB SD card. Just search for dash cam on Amazon.
Welcome to the Forum! Thanks for making your first post.

Also. Thanks for the information. I will check the specs on the G1W-C. I would like to have a small, inconspicuous, camera.

Luckily at home I park in a garage. At work I park away from everybody. I guess I would be more worried about issues on the road and when I visit local parking lots.

·
Registered
438 Posts
people seem to stand by the G1W series as the best bang-for-the-buck dash cam

i just ordered two G1W-C for both of my cars and see how they fare. turns out to be around 42USD each.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
438 Posts
got my G1W-C a couple of weeks ago. outputs to H.264 MOV 1080p. quality is quite decent at night time actually; there will be glares from streetlights and everything, but surprisingly you can capture the license plate number of the car in front of you despite the bright rear lights and license plate lights potentially overblowing the details on the plate. daytime quality is awesome

here it is:

IMG_20141216_221544.jpg

IMG_20141216_221443.jpg

Reactions: Summest

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got my G1W-C a couple of weeks ago. outputs to H.264 MOV 1080p. quality is quite decent at night time actually; there will be glares but at least you can capture the license plate number of the car in front of you. daytime quality is awesome
Thanks r.
I added the black bezel version to my wishlist. I need to do some final research before I hit the buy button. :)

Looks good from your photos. Thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
ya black bezel would be nice, but may cost more since people like to conceal it better. i got mine at gearbest, but their "free" expedited shipping was via DHL from singapore and even though my stuff arrived fast because of DHL, i was dinged with broker fees. when all said and done it ended up to be around $55USD for a G1W-C

·
Registered
438 Posts
and since im such a nice guy, screencaps (you can watermark your license plate on the footage at the bottom left which i censored out)

dash1.jpg

dash2.jpg

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and since im such a nice guy, screencaps (you can watermark your license plate on the footage at the bottom left which i censored out)
I like how the license plate of the car in front of you came out so clear at night.

Wow! Sure looks dark and gloomy at 2:36 pm. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
ya we are having a gloomy and rainy xmas here in toronto

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BlackVue DR650GW-2CH Dashcam Review

Wow! I saw this review somewhere else. It's neat because it records front and back views with a parking mode. It's a bit pricey though.

http://youtu.be/hJU6It9uETU

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Looks good. Let us know how it works. Im interested in the idea of a camera, but Im not sure I want to mess with the wiring in a brand new car.

Its too bad the TLX many cameras couldnt be used in such a fashion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts