Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having trouble with Android Auto? Lately I'm having all kinds of trouble with Pandora not launching, or taking up to 10 minutes to launch and Google Play Music cutting in and out or quitting and giving me an error message. Not sure if it's the actual apps not syncing well with Android Auto, Android Auto itself, or the TLX infotainment system. Does Acura ever do software updates to the infotainment system?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone having trouble with Android Auto? Lately I'm having all kinds of trouble with Pandora not launching, or taking up to 10 minutes to launch and Google Play Music cutting in and out or quitting and giving me an error message. Not sure if it's the actual apps not syncing well with Android Auto, Android Auto itself, or the TLX infotainment system. Does Acura ever do software updates to the infotainment system?
I've had my 19 Tech TLX since March. I have a Pixel 3XL which of course is Google's device. You'd think it would work rather well due to its an Acura and not Honda or another standard brand. Well I have had an issue with the calls portion of AA. The car doesn't connect to Bluetooth in AA but it does connect when the phone is not connected to the cable. I went to the dealership and of course they had no clue. I told Google and they've been less than helpful. Also I do have the music stutter at times also. Its definitely working overall but these little bugs are not expected without a resolution. Are you using the OEM USB cable? The dealership gave a simple easy way out answer of a software update will probably fix it..lol The phantom update that still hasn't happened.

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No - I'm not using an OEM USB cable but that's definitely not the issue. I have no problems with Android Auto connecting to the infotainment system and launching on the display screen. Google maps, phone interface all work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most days of the week I call home (Italy) while I am driving to work. My calls go through Google Voice but use actual phone service not data. The issue I have is that very frequently the phone disconnects from Bluetooth however I often can select it from the AA menu and it connects again. The phone is a Note 8 running Android 9. My watch is a Samsung Gear 3 and I suspect that it may be part of the issue... it might try to compete for the call handling causing the car to disconnect. Trouble is this always happens when I have no time to troubleshoot. I hope this information may ring a bell to others having the same issue.

Edit: I have a 2018 TLX A Spec

·
Registered
105 Posts
Most days of the week I call home (Italy) while I am driving to work. My calls go through Google Voice but use actual phone service not data. The issue I have is that very frequently the phone disconnects from Bluetooth however I often can select it from the AA menu and it connects again. The phone is a Note 8 running Android 9. My watch is a Samsung Gear 3 and I suspect that it may be part of the issue... it might try to compete for the call handling causing the car to disconnect. Trouble is this always happens when I have no time to troubleshoot. I hope this information may ring a bell to others having the same issue.

Edit: I have a 2018 TLX A Spec
Tough to know what may be the issue. I think Acura and Google don't know what some of these issues may be with so many Android phones on the market. I like Android but it's segmented.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, so, I've had two issues basically since I got my 2018 TLX "Tech", tried many different cables, and now on my THIRD phone, which is a Google Pixel 4A. Same phone but on the Android Auto of a different brand car, and I don't have these issues, also I think these issues also do not appear on the Acura's with the next generation infotainment system.

Anyway, here are the problems I have: sometimes I don't hear the phone ring when I call people, and the volume is VERY low - when this happens I can turn the volume up to MAX and then I hear the phone call, but it's still too low. And, if I make the mistake of forgetting to turn the volume down, then the next call can be so loud that it nearly blows the speakers, and, my eardrums. This problem is intermittent, but happens frequently.

The other problem is with playing back songs on various music apps, or podcasts etc., I hit play and it will briefly play, usually with some stuttering, for a few seconds, then stop. This happens ad nauseum until I turn the car off, then back on, which usually fixes the problem until next time. Previous phones included a couple different models of Motorola "G" series phones including: G5/G5+/G7. I actually bought new phones specifically trying to resolve this problem. I figured that getting it fixed at the dealer might be a hassle, and, that since it was intermittent various things might happens such as them saying: "we can't reproduce the problem", or, telling me it's fixed, then finding it's not fixed, so, I've procrastinated, until today. Today I finally brought the car in to have this issue resolved. I was able to SHOW them the problem when I drove in to the shop. (yay)

They tried to tell me beforehand that they "might not be able to fix it", that they don't have any Android phones - they tried to ask me to leave my phone with them, but, I need it because I have school age children with food allergies and my wife works more than half an hour outside of town. I told them that if I have to, I would even buy another phone so they could use it, but, that really should not be on me. I explained to them that this issue is serious enough/bothers me so much, that I would use the "Lemon Law" if I had to, if it came down to that. I really shouldn't have been needing to have that kind of conversation? I mean, I don't want to be a douchebag, but, if an issue is "hard to fix" is that my problem, or is that Acura's problem? It shouldn't be my problem, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tough to know what may be the issue. I think Acura and Google don't know what some of these issues may be with so many Android phones on the market. I like Android but it's segmented.
Well I now have a Google Pixel 4A which is sold directly by Google, should be one of the best supported/most compatible Android phones that you can buy, and, I still have all the same problems w/Android Auto that I've been having since I got the car. It simply doesn't matter WHAT Acura has to do to fix the problem, whatever it takes, they need to fix it, even if it means replacing the customer's car.

·
Registered
2018 TLX A-SPEC SH-AWD W/ TECH
7 Posts
OK, so, I've had two issues basically since I got my 2018 TLX "Tech", tried many different cables, and now on my THIRD phone, which is a Google Pixel 4A. Same phone but on the Android Auto of a different brand car, and I don't have these issues, also I think these issues also do not appear on the Acura's with the next generation infotainment system.

Anyway, here are the problems I have: sometimes I don't hear the phone ring when I call people, and the volume is VERY low - when this happens I can turn the volume up to MAX and then I hear the phone call, but it's still too low. And, if I make the mistake of forgetting to turn the volume down, then the next call can be so loud that it nearly blows the speakers, and, my eardrums. This problem is intermittent, but happens frequently.

The other problem is with playing back songs on various music apps, or podcasts etc., I hit play and it will briefly play, usually with some stuttering, for a few seconds, then stop. This happens ad nauseum until I turn the car off, then back on, which usually fixes the problem until next time. Previous phones included a couple different models of Motorola "G" series phones including: G5/G5+/G7. I actually bought new phones specifically trying to resolve this problem. I figured that getting it fixed at the dealer might be a hassle, and, that since it was intermittent various things might happens such as them saying: "we can't reproduce the problem", or, telling me it's fixed, then finding it's not fixed, so, I've procrastinated, until today. Today I finally brought the car in to have this issue resolved. I was able to SHOW them the problem when I drove in to the shop. (yay)

They tried to tell me beforehand that they "might not be able to fix it", that they don't have any Android phones - they tried to ask me to leave my phone with them, but, I need it because I have school age children with food allergies and my wife works more than half an hour outside of town. I told them that if I have to, I would even buy another phone so they could use it, but, that really should not be on me. I explained to them that this issue is serious enough/bothers me so much, that I would use the "Lemon Law" if I had to, if it came down to that. I really shouldn't have been needing to have that kind of conversation? I mean, I don't want to be a douchebag, but, if an issue is "hard to fix" is that my problem, or is that Acura's problem? It shouldn't be my problem, IMO.
I have the same problems as well. The voice-to-call feature with AA annoys me to no end but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Android Auto. My work vehicle does the same thing (2018 Chevy Equinox). If I actually call out from the phone itself, the volume works fine. Unfortunately, I have no idea what a fix would be for it.

·
Super Moderator
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I now have a Google Pixel 4A which is sold directly by Google, should be one of the best supported/most compatible Android phones that you can buy, and, I still have all the same problems w/Android Auto that I've been having since I got the car. It simply doesn't matter WHAT Acura has to do to fix the problem, whatever it takes, they need to fix it, even if it means replacing the customer's car.
Sounds frustrating and I can sympathize with what your going through but I highly doubt pursuing the lemon law will get you anywhere. This is s problem between phone - AA app - infotainment system interface and thus not the type of issue lemon law would support and the fact that your car is a 2018, I'm guessing you've had it at least a couple of years now if you are the original owner.

Couldn't you leave your phone with the service tech for just a few hours while they try and figure it out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts