Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX Type S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I can confirm there is a way to get the new Android Auto working on the 2021 infotainment system...should also work for RDX. There are a few steps involved and you must be a beta tester for Android Auto for this to work. You DO NOT need root on your phone but again must be an active beta tester as it is a server side activation. This has been a closed program for like 2+ years but Google seems to be opening it up every few days to allow more into the mix. Anyway if you are an active Android Auto beta tester and want to know how to get it working shoot me a note.

I anticipate it will be released soon by the sheer number of updates being issued. Again it was supposed to be out by the end of the summer so they are a little behind but so far everything I have tried works fine without having a touch screen. One thing to note (hopefully Acura staff monitors this forum) they will need to release an update so that the right semi-useless panel can be deactivated making the entire screen available...this should already be user choice. If Acura does not do this they will have a LOT of unhappy customers very quick (myself included) once the update is released to all. I own multiple Acura models and honestly this is the most useless space as is, they did not address the permissions correctly for android 11+. This is why we currently can't have two Android Auto apps running like the touchscreen the Integra. Anyway here is a pic showing it working, I have been using it for about a week now without issue. Please know it will consume more battery power as your phone is running everything. At this time the screen mirroring is not included in the beta but there still is code for it so who knows. I must add it is a HUGE improvement over the stale old interface for both functionality and appearance. This is one where the wait has been worth it...just need Acura to release the right side so it can be utilized by AA.

Gadget Audio equipment Display device Technology Electronic device

Cheers

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX Type S
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My local dealer gave me the impression that they already knew when I showed them. It could go either way, personally I wish it was user defined space. I really wanted the full camera circumference which is what I am used to on my other vehicle...but it was available in Canada? That is where the panel would be useful, not for a giant clock, tiny nav or empty AA space. At the end if the day it comes down to programming. Either Acura will address with an update or someone will code it themselves. That is way outside my realm...and I promised my spouse I wouldn't modify this one until the warranty expires.😉

·
Registered
235 Posts
Lol, if they have it for Canada then blame whoever provided feedback for the end product for the US market. That being said, I would think the code for the US and CA versions of the software would be forks off of the same code base so there may be some ability to do a merge, though that may still be quite an undertaking. I think forking off of the CA fork, modifying the fork to have the other features in the US market and then building an upgrade off of that may be less of an undertaking. The differences could also be part of the build process which may make it even easier or more complex. I'm sure I'm not even scratching the surface on this, but I agree that that space is 100% wasted screen real estate as currently implemented!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts