Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my TLX (2.4 Tech) to dealer to have some strange cabin noise inspected today. I have low expectations.

The issue I have is two-fold:

1. I hear an intermittent airy, synthetic noise through the front speakers when cars pass me on the highway -- like the sound of the car passing is slightly amplified and synthesized.

2. There is a minor rattle in the rear shelf passenger side, as others have noticed, but I noticed that, intermittently (of course...), if I put the car in Neutral and pump the gas, the sound of the throttle is ghosted about a 1/2 a second later in the rear speaker.

I am attributing that to the ANC system and I expect everything will come back "normal."

Otherwise, great car and so far, so good. My last car was a 2008 Honda Accord that had the VTC actuator rattle in the engine. That was far, far worse than anything like this, and I lived with it for 100,000+ miles.

Also, I found this makes me feel a little better, as well:

Lexus IS rattle: New to Lexus and already got a rattle problem :( - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums

Ferrari rattle: Rattle coming from passenger side - FerrariChat.com

Lamborghini rattle: Rattle in speedometer cluster - Lamborghini Forum

BMW rattle: 2014 X5 Rattles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Good Day, fellas!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update #1 .

Day 2 - car still in service. Wasn't even touched yesterday due to volume. Mechanic on tech line w Acura to diagnose issues. Possibly tomorrow.....

Got a TLX V-6 loaner. No shelf rattle, no airy sound when cars pass. Was good because I got to compare and explain issue better to them. Got some pep to it for sure, but I'll take mine back, thanks. #smokingkillsandstinkstoo .

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, got the car back yesterday.

1. The ANC issue I think is handled and learned some good info. The ANC is disengaged in Sport and Sport+ mode. Apparently, per the service advisor, there is also a way to adjust the speaker volume for the ANC, which is what appears to have been done for my issue.

2. Rear speaker shelf rattle. I could not reproduce this at the dealership or on the roads with the advisor. They could not reproduce it. I now know after having the car back that it only seems to occur at higher speeds (45mph+) and when the road is rough (or say, I drive over the disc speed bumps on the highway).

Decided I am going to hold off and wait on that for a bit, probably until November at my first scheduled service since it is not really a major issue. Also thinking that by that time, perhaps I'll have more info on it and Acura will too. Not a dealbreaker by any means and the car cabin is silent otherwise.

Happy 4th, all!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Thanks for the update. I didn't know about ANC being disabled in Sport mode. That's the mode I've used since I got the car 3 months ago. Maybe I'll try the normal setting to see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
255 Posts
An "atta boy" to mk5 for adding to the user knowledge base by sharing it!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I tried Normal mode on the way home and couldn't do it. Lol. I'm too used to Sport mode. It drives so differently I find.

In relation the the ANC, I really didn't notice a difference in the noise in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Makes sense the ANC would be off in the sportier modes simply so the car sounds more aggressive.

With regards to the back shelf, mine seemed to rattle too with really bassy music, Brass Monkey by the Beastie Boys for example. Tech checked it out and the top self cover is solid. But, we found while looking in the truck, the fabric/carpet cover on the underside of the rear deck was very very loose. We both agreed its probably making the noise. But, he found that theres really no way of securing it more solidly for now. Said he was going to contact the Tech Line for a possible future resolution. In the mean time, I might just remove it and see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.