Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to get the doors to lock and the alarm to arm whenever you turn the car off, get out and walk away?

I have noticed that it does not lock or arm the alarm when I get home and park my car in the garage. I have even checked days later and it is still unlocked with the alarm disarmed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unless I misunderstand your question, I just hit the little circular button on the door handle and it locks the car and arms the alarm. It will not lock simply by walking away.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless I misunderstand your question, I just hit the little circular button on the door handle and it locks the car and arms the alarm. It will not lock simply by walking away.
I am wanting it to lock after a minute if I walk away and forget to hit the button on the door handle...just in case I forget to hit the button somewhere other than in my garage :D

I would think this would be possible as it would know that the FOB is not inside the car or within the vicinity.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I am wanting it to lock after a minute if I walk away and forget to hit the button on the door handle...just in case I forget to hit the button somewhere other than in my garage :D

I would think this would be possible as it would know that the FOB is not inside the car or within the vicinity.
I believe the answer is no. I also thought this could be possible and would love this feature. I have not found it.

Since I don't have the fob in my hands when I exit the car, I tend to walk away without locking the car door. I then have to walk back and lock it or check to see if I locked it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the answer is no. I also thought this could be possible and would love this feature. I have not found it.

Since I don't have the fob in my hands when I exit the car, I tend to walk away without locking the car door. I then have to walk back and lock it or check to see if I locked it.
Same here...this might convince me to get the paid "Connect" AcuraLink package. It would save me a walk back and give me piece of mind :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Autolock might be great in general. Already it wont lock if the fob is inside.

But:
1. Autolock would mean the car would never remain unlocked, even in your garage. Unless the fob was in range.
2. While Connect sounds good, it takes 30 to 60 sec just to connect to the car. Not "real time" convenient in the real world, unless you are sitting in mall wondering if the doors are locked...or where you left the car...

Imho

·
Registered
238 Posts
With autolock, does this mean the car would lock up with people in the car if the driver walked away from the car to go get something? Or if the driver was simply faster in exiting the vehicle than the passengers?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With autolock, does this mean the car would lock up with people in the car if the driver walked away from the car to go get something? Or if the driver was simply faster in exiting the vehicle than the passengers?
There would be a possibility of that.
What I am wanting is that when the driver turns off the car and exits the car with the FOB in his possession, that it would lock and arm the alarm after a minute if the driver forgot to do so.

I wonder if I can ask Acura to offer this option.

I mean the car already knows when you leave the car with the FOB. It beeped at me this morning when I went back inside the house and left the car running in the garage. :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
To be perfect the car who have to know that there occupants of the car so that if they opened the door the alarm would not go off. Also, should it auto lock only if all the windows and sunroof were closed? What about if a window was open just a crack to let some air.

You can ask away, but the chances of this being offered before MMC are slim to none, and certainly will not be retrofitted to an existing car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also own a Mazda 3 which does exactly what the OP is asking for. I personally love it and have always wondered why none of the luxury brands don't do the same. I think it would be a nice configurable option in vehicle settings so it can be turned on or off.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So please tell us how the Mazda 3 handles the situation of people still being in the car and opening the door, and the lock situation if the windows are open. Any other positives or negatives?

·
Registered
92 Posts
A friend of mine has a Lexus and it does the same thing. It has a proximity sensor so it locks the doors when you walk away and unlocks them when you get close. I like that we have to manually lock the doors and here is why:

I went to a restaurant with my friend and she did not put her keys in their normal place because I was in the car. When we went inside, she didn't realize, but she forgot her keys in the car. Since she is not used to locking the car, she didn't realize that she forgot them. She noticed when we got back into the car and she saw her keys in the cupholder. This could have been very bad because anyone could have jumped in her car and driven off.

I am so glad that this is not something I have to worry about with the TLX. I think this feature is actually more of a gimmick than something useful. I imagine this is the scenario that keeps Acura from adding this feature.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That might be one of the faults of that whole setup. The car isn't smart enough to know that someone is in the car and perhaps they considered that not to be a problem. If the person with the key walks away, windows open or closed, the doors will lock even if there are people in the car and the alarm will sound if a door is opened. However, I'm rarely in a situation where that would occur so that's not an issue to me. If that type of thing is a big issue for you, you CAN run away from the car as the door is closing because the car will only lock if the key is within range of its sensor.

The biggest plus is just the convenience that you can get out of the car and not have to do anything to lock it. I'd have to say that sometimes I take it for granted and maybe I would walk away from the car too fast (rarely happens) or my wife is holding the key (I usually drive) and she's already stepped out of range, so the car won't sense the key and doesn't lock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A friend of mine has a Lexus and it does the same thing. It has a proximity sensor so it locks the doors when you walk away and unlocks them when you get close. I like that we have to manually lock the doors and here is why:

I went to a restaurant with my friend and she did not put her keys in their normal place because I was in the car. When we went inside, she didn't realize, but she forgot her keys in the car. Since she is not used to locking the car, she didn't realize that she forgot them. She noticed when we got back into the car and she saw her keys in the cupholder. This could have been very bad because anyone could have jumped in her car and driven off.

I am so glad that this is not something I have to worry about with the TLX. I think this feature is actually more of a gimmick than something useful. I imagine this is the scenario that keeps Acura from adding this feature.
Agreed on the leaving key in car and forgetting about it. My wife always holds her key in her purse so normally not an issue, but sometimes I will have my copy of the key and it's in my backpack in the trunk. If this happens at the same time and forget about my backpack, it won't obviously won't lock.

Interesting to hear that Lexus has that. My mom has one, but it doesn't do the autolock. I think it's a 2011 or 12.

Reactions: TLXVanquish

·
Registered
109 Posts
There's actually an aftermarket product that handles this. It's called AdvancedKeys. When you walk up to the car, it unlocks, and when you walk away, it locks. Personally, I don't want an extra fob, but I would enjoy that feature.

A friend of mine has a Lexus and it does the same thing. It has a proximity sensor so it locks the doors when you walk away and unlocks them when you get close.
There's a Lexus that has this feature that's not an aftermarket thing? Interesting. Any more info?

I also own a Mazda 3 which does exactly what the OP is asking for. I personally love it and have always wondered why none of the luxury brands don't do the same. I think it would be a nice configurable option in vehicle settings so it can be turned on or off.
Need more info!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Interesting reading. My conclusion is that I am happy with what I have (as I plan to keep this baby for many years). Right now the keys do not leave my pocket unless it is a hot summer day and I might use the remote to open all the windows and sunroof. The remote start with A/C would need 10 minutes to cool the car, and we have idling bylaws in TO.

So with keys in my pocket, approach the car and pull the handle to open, press Start and drive away. At destination, press Stop, exit the vehicle, and if I am going to the front of the car press the button on the drivers door. If I am going towards the back then I press the button on the rear door (yeah, Canadian model). Eliminating one step is not a hardship for me, but if one of these buttons fail to work after the warranty expires it could be costly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not sure what year the Lexus is but it is an IS250, maybe 6 years old. Maybe Lexus doesn't do it anymore because of the problem with people forgetting their keys in the car. This feature is pretty basic to implement so I'm sure Acura has a reason for not doing it. I really think leaving the keys in the car is a big one. Honestly, when I saw that happen to my friend, I assumed all keyless systems would work this way and I was in no rush to have a car with this feature.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Reading this thread got me thinking about whether or not I had locked my car. I went to my AcuraLink app on my phone, and found that my doors were "closed/unlocked". The app has a "lock the doors" function. Done. Very cool.

As someone noted earlier, it does take the app about sixty seconds to establish communications with the vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts