Acura TLX Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
I totally agree with your review. My 2010 TL, which I gave to my daughter is by far and overall better and faster than the 2021 TLX.
The thing that's interesting is that the 2021 TLX is actually faster than the 2020 TLX and 2010 TL off the line, particularly in normal mode. If you watch the video below, the 2021 jumps ahead of the 2020 for the entire run to 60 mph. Unfortunately for the 2021, the HP to weight ratio comes into play and both the 2020 and 2010 versions of the car are noticeably faster in the 1/4 mile. FWIW, another video by the same guy shows that the TLX smokes the vaunted Accord 2.0T off the line but gets reeled in after 5 or so seconds. In any real world situation that matters, the 2021 TLX performs as well as any other cars. So, the question that comes to mind for someone looking at the car is this: How often are you really racing someone in a 1/4 mile race with your car? Acura is betting that most TLX drivers aren't going to be lining up and running 1/4 mile races.

Registered
Some people are slower than others to realize that these are not racecars 馃槅 Can I get up to speed safely for the highway with my paltry 4cyl Turbo ? More than adequetely. The End.

Registered
I have a 2021 TLX with the i4 as a loaner while my 2018 V6 is being serviced, I just drove home. I am not impressed by the engine

Less power
Less smooth
I guess it doesn't sound that bad for a i4, but it doesn't compare to a V6
More complex
Turbo lag

You'd expect better mileage at least?
Wrong. The 2.0T i4 gets 1mpg less than the outgoing 3.5L V6 on the highway. What??
And the new car is also heavier...

I've got 32mpg real life on Boston to NY round trips with the 3.5 V6 ...

Only advantage (on paper, I haven't really felt it in real life), it makes its torque at lower RPMs ... though honestly with the faster transmission you'd get better results with the old TLX. Also the different gearing of the old V6 TLX means that I get a significantly bigger punch from it at nearly any RPM...

I can see the suspension improvements and transmission improvements in 2021 TLX but the powerplant is really disappointing...
I don't understand why they didn't just keep the V6 since it seems better in nearly every possible way ... Maybe even tune it to get a tiny bit more power on the high end, since the car is slightly heavier, and improve all the rest too.

But basically the 2021 just feels incredibly sluggish off the line, and from slow speed in general. I haven't taken it on the highway but I don't expect it to be much better.
I guess it might be a stronger powerplant than the old 2.4 - but you had the V6 as an option without needing to go Type S (which also means no advance features available, some super rigid 20 inch wheels, and 25mpg highway, ugh)

I did like the handling, it takes turns well and brakes well. But damn the engine. Downgrade.

Am I crazy or did Acura drop the ball on this engine?
I traded in my 鈥15 TLX V6 for a new 鈥21 ASPEC. My gas mileage is down and it鈥檚 a bit slower, but the passing capabilities are better for sure, and it鈥檚 such a comfortable ride. The interior is also leaps and bounds above my old TLX.

Registered
Some people are slower than others to realize that these are not racecars 馃槅 Can I get up to speed safely for the highway with my paltry 4cyl Turbo ? More than adequetely. The End.
You dont have to want a race car to value performance

I think it's good for people thinking about going from the 1G TLX to 2G TLX to have this info.

Registered
I've come to appreciate cars that are "fast enough" rather than chasing pure performance like I used to. Most of the speed limits where I live are 45-55 and there's enough traffic that there's not much room to really let a more powerful car stretch its legs.

I've had faster/more performance-oriented cars before, but lately I've found myself more happy with something that has power I can realistically use every day and have fun without getting into too much trouble. Would I turn down a faster car? Nope, but I don't feel like I need one to be happier. I also don't feel like I need to compare performance stats and have something that compares more favorably to other cars in order to feel better about what I bought.

The 2.0T TLX gets up to interstate speeds fast enough and it can easily go faster and get me in trouble with not much more effort. At the same time, it's very comfortable and handles well considering its size and weight. Interior and amenities are also excellent. I think we can all agree the sound system is really nice too. I think Acura made a great car overall, especially for the money.

Just my $0.02, of course. Everyone has their own preferences so if you'd rather have something else, by all means, go for it! No need to impress any of us here or anyone else. It's your money, get what ya like.

Registered
There is one thing that amazes me about the 2.0T motor though. That engine is in a 4000+ pound car and can happily cruise and maintain highway speeds in top gear at somewhere in the 1500-1900 RPM range. (Disclaimer, most of my 4 cyl cars I鈥檝e owned in the past were stick). I don鈥檛 recall many (any?) 4 cylinder engines that could do that without lugging. I even recall that my 1992 Acura Legend V6 was unhappy in top gear at under 2000 RPM鈥檚 (again stick).

With that said, one would think cruising at highway speeds with a 2.0 engine at under 2k rpms would get you 30+ MPG. I haven鈥檛 seen more than 27 MPG, and that鈥檚 when I was trying.

Registered
I have a 17 TLX SH AWD v6
Love the power, not a big fan of turbos. Never drove the newer TLX but can see what PPV is saying and would have to agree with him. My 17 TLX pushes me back in the seat when i give her. I baby it but if needed it goes. I love this car as much as my fun summer car which is crazy quick. TLX is a great winter beater.
Go BILLS Car Wheel Vehicle Plant Tire

41 - 47 of 47 Posts