Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A-Spec, 2020 TLX A-Spec, Performance Red Pearl with Ebony, 2017 Acura TLX
42 Posts
I have a 2021 TLX with the i4 as a loaner while my 2018 V6 is being serviced, I just drove home. I am not impressed by the engine

Less power
Less smooth
I guess it doesn't sound that bad for a i4, but it doesn't compare to a V6
More complex
Turbo lag

You'd expect better mileage at least?
Wrong. The 2.0T i4 gets 1mpg less than the outgoing 3.5L V6 on the highway. What??
And the new car is also heavier...

I've got 32mpg real life on Boston to NY round trips with the 3.5 V6 ...

Only advantage (on paper, I haven't really felt it in real life), it makes its torque at lower RPMs ... though honestly with the faster transmission you'd get better results with the old TLX. Also the different gearing of the old V6 TLX means that I get a significantly bigger punch from it at nearly any RPM...

I can see the suspension improvements and transmission improvements in 2021 TLX but the powerplant is really disappointing...
I don't understand why they didn't just keep the V6 since it seems better in nearly every possible way ... Maybe even tune it to get a tiny bit more power on the high end, since the car is slightly heavier, and improve all the rest too.

But basically the 2021 just feels incredibly sluggish off the line, and from slow speed in general. I haven't taken it on the highway but I don't expect it to be much better.
I guess it might be a stronger powerplant than the old 2.4 - but you had the V6 as an option without needing to go Type S (which also means no advance features available, some super rigid 20 inch wheels, and 25mpg highway, ugh)

I did like the handling, it takes turns well and brakes well. But damn the engine. Downgrade.

Am I crazy or did Acura drop the ball on this engine?
Well, for you and others that love the V6 engine it's history and there is no going back. The 4T is cheaper to build and lighter. The world of auto manufacturing is a copy cat world. When all the competition dropped V6 engines in mid size sedans the writing was on the wall for Acura and at least they held out as long as they did. Am I disappointed this configuration doesn't put out another 20-30 ft-lbs torque..of course. Did they drop the ball..of course not. The engine certainly could put out more power, just like the Type S could put out closer to 400 instead of 355 but those darn CAFE numbers rule everything the automakers do.
The V6 was awesome. I got 32 MPG (TLX) on multiple trips driving to Las Vegas with speeds exceeding 80 MPH most of the drive. That engine will be missed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, for you and others that love the V6 engine it's history and there is no going back. The 4T is cheaper to build and lighter. The world of auto manufacturing is a copy cat world. When all the competition dropped V6 engines in mid size sedans the writing was on the wall for Acura and at least they held out as long as they did. Am I disappointed this configuration doesn't put out another 20-30 ft-lbs torque..of course. Did they drop the ball..of course not. The engine certainly could put out more power, just like the Type S could put out closer to 400 instead of 355 but those darn CAFE numbers rule everything the automakers do.
The V6 was awesome. I got 32 MPG (TLX) on multiple trips driving to Las Vegas with speeds exceeding 80 MPH most of the drive. That engine will be missed.
2021 I4 is 3990lbs, the 2020 V6 is 3838lbs my 2020 v6 gets little over 33 mpg doing freeway driving @ 80 mph Consistently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2021 TLX with the i4 as a loaner while my 2018 V6 is being serviced, I just drove home. I am not impressed by the engine

Less power
Less smooth
More complex
Turbo lag

Wrong. The 2.0T i4 gets 1mpg less than the outgoing 3.5L V6 on the highway. What??

Only advantage (on paper, I haven't really felt it in real life), it makes its torque at lower RPMs ... though honestly with the faster transmission you'd get better results with the old TLX. Also the different gearing of the old V6 TLX means that I get a significantly bigger punch from it at nearly any RPM...

I can see the suspension improvements and transmission improvements in 2021 TLX but the powerplant is really disappointing...
I don't understand why they didn't just keep the V6 since it seems better in nearly every possible way ... Maybe even tune it to get a tiny bit more power on the high end, since the car is slightly heavier, and improve all the rest too.

But basically the 2021 just feels incredibly sluggish off the line, and from slow speed in general. I haven't taken it on the highway but I don't expect it to be much better.
I guess it might be a stronger powerplant than the old 2.4 - but you had the V6 as an option without needing to go Type S (which also means no advance features available, some super rigid 20 inch wheels, and 25mpg highway, ugh)

I did like the handling, it takes turns well and brakes well. But damn the engine. Downgrade.

I am a 2021 TLX owner for about 4 weeks now, and I have to agree about the engine. From 0 to 30 normal acceleration is no fun. When you take it out for a test ride you always see "what it can do" , so giving it the goose, especially in Sport mode is fun, but after 4 weeks of "day to day" driving, normal acceleration is "busy". Compared to my wife's 2010 TSX (2.4) it feels heavy and slow.

I will say if you drive it "spirited" , especially in Sport mode, it can be quite fun if you don't mind the mpg hit. I traded in my 2018 TLX because I just couldn't stand the damned tranny anymore....this one is actually better but all the cars I drove now drive like this: Small turbos working hard with too many gears.. I do miss the v6.

Buyers regret? Not really.....but regret that all cars are moving to something like this. The driving experience feels like you're not really driving it directly, but rather you're sending commands to someone/something else that is doing the actual driving. I guess the word is "disconnected"

Aside from my drivetrain complaints, everything else feels very nice and well finished/ appointed. I love the interior; seats are fantastic. I got the Advance version with the adaptive suspension, and it definitely makes a difference but it's still not the same sporty feel as the Aspec even in sport mode IMHO. Very quiet, and I find myself liking the floaty Comfort mode more than I thought I would. Stereo is amazing. Lack of spare is unthinkable and I'm still waiting for Acura to provide one. Check this forum....I'm not the only one

I love the look of this car, so much is forgiven. Acura doesn't seem to be advertising this car much, and honestly I have only seen 1 other 2021 TLX on the road in 8 weeks of looking. They are just not selling. Big slow (beautiful) car with no back seat that is only fun when decide to turn the big dial to Sport. That said, I still like walking up to it in the parking lot. You know what I'm talking about... 😏

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
131 Posts
2021 I4 is 3990lbs, the 2020 V6 is 3838lbs my 2020 v6 gets little over 33 mpg doing freeway driving @ 80 mph Consistently.
2020 has a completely different chassis than the 2021. The '21 TLX Type S with the turbo V6 weighs 4240 dry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Slightly different car but try 65mph. 2015 accord V6 sedan 41 mpg on a 180 mile round trip (yes I was trying and no it wasn’t 100% highway either) I had an elderly couple in the car, so I was very light on the pedals.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it's a huge mistake. I love my V6 TLX ASpec, but if I have to get get a Lexus as my next car IOT get a V6, Oh well.
We just got a new TLX. The Lexus Is what my wife originally wanted. Prices have gone crazy for every car except the TLX. For a 2.0T engine, I think it’s one of the better ones out there. The J series V6 in Honda’s and Acura’s is amazing also and (although I don’t know too much about the other manufacturers V6’s) I can’t imagine anything out there being better. It’s smooth as silk, it will move you when you step on the pedal while being very efficient when you don’t. For those of us that want to hear the engine and not so much the exhaust - the J series V6 is the best sounding engine that I know of. It’s also an older design that is tried and true.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agreed, in sport mode the throttle response feels a less like my wife’s Prius and more like my own TLX. And the chassis is really nice. I guess it would grow on me if I was to buy one. But the engine is such a downgrade though...

I guess the answer really is the Type S, that has the new chassis AND a V6 ...
I believe they both have the same chassis, but the S-type has some additional "stiffeners". The most obvious one is the one that blocks your passage from the trunk to the back seat, if you were to fold them down. I do love the handling on this car, but I'm very lukewarm on the drivetrain...............

·
Registered
15 Posts
1-2 seconds for the same money? I'm curious to know what comparable car that are looking at where you are in the sub 5 second range under $50k. I suppose the Genesis G70 is an option...but I'm not a fan of the styling and it's a smaller car. I do agree that the A-Spec probably should have been given a engine with a little more thump to it but I also understand that they wanted to make sure that the Type S clearly stood out from the rest of the lineup. It's a tough spot that they've chosen.

Unfortunately for Acura, the upcoming Type S seems to be forcing them into the spot where they have to offer great deals to move a car like the A-Spec. I got mine for $7,200 off MSRP with 6 miles on it and I don't think I'd get that deal if not for the fact that a lot of folks are holding out. I've reached the point where I want my daily driver to be a sporty, decently sized car with reasonable punch. I'll readily admit that the first night I went home with my A-Spec, I questioned the choice. My 535i was significantly faster and very comfortable. However, with every passing day, I've grown to enjoy the TLX more. If someone is really obsessed with 0-60 times, a TLX with the 2.0 turbo is a bad choice. If 0-60 is a secondary consideration to the other features, a TLX is great.
Seems like we had the same experience regarding possible buyers regret. My spirited driving is more about zipping around corners versus stop light drag racing, so the V6 is missed, but Im getting over it. Every day I seem to find ways to drive it differently ( if that makes sense ), and I like the looks of it more every day. ( though honestly it took a while for me to warm up to rear end light styling)

I also got a great deal as my local dealer is just not selling them: about 7k off of MSRP best I can figure. If we weren't empty nesters, the rear seating would have been a deal breaker. So glad to be done with the ZF 9 speed and the dual screen clusterf***

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
168 Posts
Seems like we had the same experience regarding possible buyers regret. My spirited driving is more about zipping around corners versus stop light drag racing, so the V6 is missed, but Im getting over it. Every day I seem to find ways to drive it differently ( if that makes sense ), and I like the looks of it more every day. ( though honestly it took a while for me to warm up to rear end light styling)

I also got a great deal as my local dealer is just not selling them: about 7k off of MSRP best I can figure. If we weren't empty nesters, the rear seating would have been a deal breaker. So glad to be done with the ZF 9 speed and the dual screen clusterf***
What's funny is that I liked the rear end styling until someone said that it looked like a Dodge Dart.........

Not exactly the same....but it's not what I want people to think of when they see the back of my car.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A-Spec, 2020 TLX A-Spec, Performance Red Pearl with Ebony, 2017 Acura TLX
42 Posts
I think it's a huge mistake. I love my V6 TLX ASpec, but if I have to get get a Lexus as my next car IOT get a V6, Oh well.
Lexus V6. There are only two to choose from. The ES350 which rides and drives like a Buick or the IS350 which is the size of a Corolla? Which one compares to the TLX?

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD Apex Blue/Red
72 Posts
Lexus V6. There are only two to choose from. The ES350 which rides and drives like a Buick or the IS350 which is the size of a Corolla? Which one compares to the TLX?
Actually the interior volume of the IS350 and the TLX are pretty close. The ES350 is only an inch bigger than the TLX and its FWD like the TLX is. Geez and the ES weighs 300lbs less with the V6!! What the heck is the TLX made of, Tungsten?!?! lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Couldn’t agree more. I test drive the new TLX, and while I didn’t mine the new infotainment system, the remainder of the driving experience left much to be desired, especially the engine. Compared to my V6, it seemed incredibly gritty, definitely had turbo lag, and didn’t seem to pull as hard. The V6 is infinitely more refined.
Plus, the car just felt big, which it is. The hood was very ‘in your face’ from the driver seat, and I never felt fully settled with all that car around me. Maybe all turbo 4s are like this, and I’ve been driving V6s for so long that I’ve become spoiled…

·
Registered
10 Posts
The problem is that this engine is replacing to engines. With the type S the replacement for the old V6, technically. So no, they did not drop the ball because you lost a 206 hp motor and picked up a 272 hp motor and a 355 hp motor versus 290.

I find my 21 advanced all-wheel-drive a much much nicer car than my 2019 all-wheel-drive a spec. Handles better, drives better, it’s just as much fun… And the performance numbers show it’s not really that much slower if at all. I think point two seconds slower to 60 and point two seconds faster in the quarter mile depending on who you listen to as it very slightly from online test to online test.

Which is why I slept on the K tuner kit and made it much quicker and just as fast as the new type S. However…

where Acura did drop the ball was going after BMW and Mercedes. The horsepower should’ve been 300 and 400. When you have a luxury brand that’s out done in the quarter-mile by your value brand, Honda, that’s a bit embarrassing. And if you’re going to go after those two, you better go after them properly.

Less power
Less smooth
More complex
Turbo lag

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem is that this engine is replacing to engines. With the type S the replacement for the old V6, technically. So no, they did not drop the ball because you lost a 206 hp motor and picked up a 272 hp motor and a 355 hp motor versus 290.

I find my 21 advanced all-wheel-drive a much much nicer car than my 2019 all-wheel-drive a spec. Handles better, drives better, it’s just as much fun… And the performance numbers show it’s not really that much slower if at all. I think point two seconds slower to 60 and point two seconds faster in the quarter mile depending on who you listen to as it very slightly from online test to online test.

Which is why I slept on the K tuner kit and made it much quicker and just as fast as the new type S. However…

where Acura did drop the ball was going after BMW and Mercedes. The horsepower should’ve been 300 and 400. When you have a luxury brand that’s out done in the quarter-mile by your value brand, Honda, that’s a bit embarrassing. And if you’re going to go after those two, you better go after them properly.
Totally agree on what the outputs should have been. As you said, if you’re advertising your brand as performance oriented, your first all new vehicle in years shouldn’t be pretty much the slowest car in it’s competitive set.

They could have easily given the 2.0 300 horsepower/torque. Also, with a 10 speed transmission they should be able to make it quick off the line and also have good economy when cruising. They somehow managed to do neither. Although I think the slowness off the line is more due to the tune limiting torque in lower gears to protect the AWD hardware.

All that said, I am still happy with my A-spec. Would I mind if it was a little quicker? Nope

·
Registered
14 Posts

Less power
Less smooth
More complex
Turbo lag

I totally agree with your review. My 2010 TL, which I gave to my daughter is by far and overall better and faster than the 2021 TLX.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts