Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive the V6 AWD tech package with button gear selector.

There have been times when I hit reverse from the drive, and it will hit end up at neutral instead. This is usually when I'm doing so quickly.

The last time was when I had to make a U-turn. I couldn't clear the U-turn so had to backup a little in the middle of the U-turn before clearing. When I hit reverse and stepped on the gas .... nothing, and took me a second or two to realize I was in neutral. Pushed back on the reverse button again and it's all good. Not a comfortable feeling at all when your half way into a U-turn in busy traffic with aggressive NYC drivers while in neutral.

Not a big deal, but it has been an adjustment I had to make. Can't depend on quickly shifting to reverse from drive(and vice versa) near oncoming traffic.

Other than that, I love the button gear selector.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am assuming that you hadn't come to a complete stop before pressing the reverse button. I do remember reading that this is actually a safety feature to prevent inadvertent gear selection so as not to destroy your tranny. Yes the gear selector does take a little getting used too.

Actually, you got me thinking and when I think about it there are enough unconventional things about the TLX that actually make driving it a very distinct experience. From the gear selector and dual screen to the hidden tale exhaust and front biased (if not full on FWD) set up in a RWD biased segment (not that most people could really tell the difference in day to day driving). Its like Acura wants to make the experience with their car so different that when you go back to driving the other vehicles they will seem quite odd. Maybe its just a big marketing conspiracy on their part, and time will tell if it works.

Not having a stick on the console or a branch on the steering column does free up space and makes the console controls more visibly and physically accessible. Overall I like the button gear selector too.

Reactions: Wade

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am assuming that you hadn't come to a complete stop before pressing the reverse button. I do remember reading that this is actually a safety feature to prevent inadvertent gear selection so as not to destroy your tranny. Yes the gear selector does take a little getting used too.
I was at a complete stop. I always brake before switching the gear. But that stop was probably less than a second. I was attempting to make a super quick U-turn on a busy road. Something I'm used to doing in congested areas. I figure it probably takes a complete second or two to register correctly, so I got to slightly change my habit in congested traffic.

·
Registered
666 Posts
ot a big deal, but it has been an adjustment I had to make. Can't depend on quickly shifting to reverse from drive(and vice versa) near oncoming traffic.
It's not something to get fussed about for very long. There are similar experiences and learning curves with drivers moving from a manual stick shift to an automatic (keep pressing that phantom clutch). It is even worse for drivers of automatics who first try out a manual stick shift with that embarrassing jerky motion, gear grinding, and stallled engine, a nightmare in traffic.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The last time I was at my dealer I was talking to the service manager and I mentioned that I was a little concerned about liquid spilling into the button cavities of the shifter and shorting it out. She told me a story that one of her Acura reps told her about the shifter. It seems the guy did a lot of traveling and eating in his car going from one dealership to another. As he approached a dealership one day he had a hand full of French fires. All of a sudden all of his warning alerts came on. He pulled into the dealership and into the service bay where they removed the cover of the selector and found that a single grain of salt from the fries created havoc. A quick use of an air blaster remedied the situation.:eek:

While dirt and liquid in the shifter can ruin anybody's day, it seems that those of us with the new button shifters probably need to be a little more cautious. I know from comments on previous threads that several in this forum absolutely forbid eating and drinking in the car. Probably a good idea. :D

·
Registered
666 Posts
I left my sunroof tilted and was inside during a rain storm. Went out a couple of hours later to leave, finding a wet interior but there were no gear selection issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts