Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been following along with the Edmund's long term road test of the TLX. Before the car was side-swiped this week, they posted about the adaptive cruise control. They called it "paranoid" and "indecisive" and said that they didn't like it.

I was hoping to get some real world feedback on this feature, as it is one of the reasons that I'm considering the TLX.

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have mixed emotions about it. In light to moderate traffic it is not too bad. In heavy traffic I prefer to have more control. I have had one instance on a 4 lane highway where a semi was in the left lane making a turn and I was in the right lane going straight. The car abruptly started to slow down and I had to hit the accelerator to maintain speed. I have also had the situation where I have encountered a slower car and when my TLX hits the distance I have set for it it slows down harshly and I worry about someone rear ending me. I wish it were a little more intuitive and slow down a little more gradually.

This brings me to a question that I will pose to my dealer the next time I visit. Do the brake lights come on when the car slows abruptly?

I think the more I use it the more confidence I will have in it unless someone hits me or I hit them because of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have never used other systems like it, so I cannot offer a comparison.

But I like using it.

There are times that it seems to 'over react' to some inputs it senses, but it is easy to override that by using the gas pedal. (especially, when you can anticipate an event that the car cannot... like someone about to change lanes into the gap in front of you) When you take your foot off the gas, the system retains control.

On the steering wheel, there is a button where you can choose your following distance. I find that the system is most sensitive at the longer following distances.

So in the city, and on busier highways, I use the shorter follow distance. I keep the long follow distance for inter-city cruising, where you want to give everyone some space, and where there is not a lot of action.

Like all of these systems, it will mature and improve over time.

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Here is the link to the Long Term Road Test

·
Registered
238 Posts
I prefer to use adaptive cruise control in only in very light traffic situations, almost always with LaneKeeper on as well.

Adap. doesn't react well when somebody cuts in front of you (the way they drive in Massachusetts, this is a big problem) even if the car is accelerating past you when they cut in front. On some turns in the highway, it will get confused about which lane a passing car is in and hit the brakes even when the passing car is in the next lane over.

Because of this, even in light-to-moderate traffic, I'll just keep it off and stick with LaneKeeper, which is by far my favorite feature on the car and works very well.

I'm assuming adaptive cruise control only looks at the distance of a car ahead, rather than a more complex 1st or 2nd derivative (rate of change in distance or rate of change in velocity) of this which would be more judicious in the application of the brakes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just used it on 6 hours of higheay driving and am pretty impressed. Some observations

- I found the car was more abrupt when it was set to the closer following distances, it seems to smooth out on the longer settings
- it seem to use ralive speeds, not just distance. I had a car cut me off on close setting. The car was moving faster, and the TLX gently touched the brakes
- i had no confusion on vehicles etc.

All were done in medium traffic, with Lanekeeper on. I was pretty. Omfortable with it - once i gave it my trust

·
Registered
260 Posts
Does it make you a little nervous to put all your trust in a system like that? I just prefer to have more control over the car rather than giving up that control. I just trust myself more than some computer program. That's just me though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was a bit nervous the first few times I used the adaptive cruise but it fades pretty quickly. This system works very nicely. I have never had any issues with it on curves. I also noticed that when cars going faster cut close in front of you, it doesn't slow down. So it does seem to factor in the other vehicles speed. Using this along with the LKA makes for very comfortable and easy long distance driving.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Does it make you a little nervous to put all your trust in a system like that? I just prefer to have more control over the car rather than giving up that control. I just trust myself more than some computer program. That's just me though.
I could see having a nervous feeling if you were to climb into the back seat and leave the driving to the car entirely, but ACC is a useful tool to make a trip easier.

When we go to fully autonomous cars, then I will be nervous and untrusting.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nope. With regular use I have learned its strengths and weaknesses and use it as an effective tool in my driving. This increases the safety factor on the road for me.

This would be for the first few day or weeks and then you would adapt. But there will be a transition with car first having dual capabilities and somewhere down the line they will single mode autonomous only. Is this 15 years or 20 years. Its up to the engineers and the politicians.

Here's an investment tip. Buy shares in a race track as that is the only place where people will be able to try out their 4 wheel slides and drag races from the stoplight.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I can see these system being very safe if used responsibly. BUT, I can also see them as an excuse to txt and drive easier, read, eat, whatever distraction people can think of.

I will admit, the LKAS comes in real handy after a 12hr night shift.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I really like the system. I've set it to medium follow distance because, at least here in California, if you set it to a large gap you will continually have cars jumping in front of you. I even used it in stop and go freeway traffic. That was impressive, although I will admit that it took a bit of experience to trust it and not keep my foot hovering above the break.

The system brought the car to a complete stop a comfortable distance behind the car in front of me. It started up when that car started, etc. The Idle stop even came in if the stop was long enough. If that happens you have to use the resume (or gas) to start the car as it doesn't automatically start up again like it does if Idle stop has not engaged.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too like the Adaptive Cruise Control, but one thing I have been too nervous to try is exiting a freeway off-ramp with it on, and no cars in front of me, but one car waiting at the distant stop light.

In this case, the car kept the FULL speed all the way toward the single car waiting at the traffic light! I was too nervous to let the ACC apply the brakes suddenly to avoid the car waiting at the light.

In other cases on the freeway, where slower cars have moved in front of me, the ACC works just fine, and even in some cases, it has actively applied the brakes. But coming full speed to a freeway exit is not one I've been courageous enough to try yet... :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
This would be for the first few day or weeks and then you would adapt. But there will be a transition with car first having dual capabilities and somewhere down the line they will single mode autonomous only. Is this 15 years or 20 years. Its up to the engineers and the politicians.
I think it would be more like months before I would even attempt it. :D

I can beta test a TLX, but I know my beta test limits. :)

I also won't be the first to try the transporter on the Enterprise.

I know I won't see the transporter, but autonomous cars are already here.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I could see having a nervous feeling if you were to climb into the back seat and leave the driving to the car entirely, but ACC is a useful tool to make a trip easier.

I just figure that at the point that the cars are fully autonomous they must have gone through enough development to work well in almost every circumstance. When its just a mish-mash of different driver assistance technology I figure that there is still some holes in the system that require the driver to be watching it to make sure nothing goes wrong.

·
Registered
27 Posts
But do we know for sure that the brake lights go on when ACC slows you down? I can't imagine this not happening, but do we know for sure?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
But do we know for sure that the brake lights go on when ACC slows you down? I can't imagine this not happening, but do we know for sure?
Good question. :confused:

I don't have ACC but I would be curious to learn what the answer to your question is. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts