Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TLX Admin
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura will cut its product portfolio from six to five models next year, confirming today that the TSX sedan will be discontinued in 2014.

In its place will be a new model called the TLX (which more directly replaces the current TL), bridging the gap between the compact ILX and flagship RLX.

Acura claims the new TLX will bring to the segment a whole new look with more sporting proportions, as well as two new powertrains and numerous signature Acura technologies. The TLX will come with a new transmission (likely either a CVT or the new 7-speed dual-clutch automatic that debuted in the RLX) and will be offered in two-wheel and all-wheel drive.

Introduced to the North American market in 2003 the TSX was and continued to be an Acura-ified version of the European market Honda Accord. It filled a void in the Acura product lineup with the departure of the Integra sedan in 2001.

Shunning convention it was positioned to take on compact German luxury rivals, though using front-wheel drive and with only a 4-cylinder engine – a 2.4-liter unit making 200 hp.

Acura is promising that the traits that made the TSX such a great car will be carried through and even emphasized in the TLX. “This all-new Acura TLX is the perfect blend of style and muscle with its elegant, well-proportioned exterior that cloaks the true sport sedan chassis and powertrain beneath,” said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president, American Honda Motor, Co., Inc. “The sporty characteristics that customers found appealing in the TSX are even more pronounced in this aggressive new TLX.”

The 2015 Acura TLX concept will make its world premiere at the Detroit Auto Show this January.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Them combining 2 models for 1 serious one is going to be interesting, i actually can't wait to see what it will be like at the upcoming detroit show!

·
Registered
339 Posts
lets see how Acura pulls this one off

this could be their second most important model in their lineup

make it or break it

·
Registered
727 Posts
just hope they dont try to straddle two segments and end up leaving both of them cold...
hopefully not.
they have a strong following of people looking for a car like this. not sure if the same people would go to Hyundai, Kia, and other brands like that

·
Registered
430 Posts
hopefully not.
they have a strong following of people looking for a car like this. not sure if the same people would go to Hyundai, Kia, and other brands like that
they might if Acura can't offer them a decent product. Hyundai/KIA is really building their value proposition in their quest to get serious about luxury. If Acura botches the TLX its likely they get leapfrogged by the Koreans.

·
Registered
727 Posts
they might if Acura can't offer them a decent product. Hyundai/KIA is really building their value proposition in their quest to get serious about luxury. If Acura botches the TLX its likely they get leapfrogged by the Koreans.
This is very true.
The TLX will be one of the key cars to the brands future success. Hopefully they do it right and make a big impact.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is very true.
The TLX will be one of the key cars to the brands future success. Hopefully they do it right and make a big impact.
absolutely. that mid size range is the bread and butter. Don't forget the TLX is also going to see pressure from the Mercedes CLA...

·
Registered
727 Posts
I guess when you compare price, base CLA or even CLA with some options compared to TLX basemodel. Going higher into the trims i can see them moving further away from eachother.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Really hope that they get it right with the TLX. I would consider the CLA or BMW 1, 2 or 3 series, but for me it has to be reliable (I drive 25k-30k/year) and can't survive the BMW repair costs after a few years. A3/A4 or the S version might be an option if the design of the TLX is all wrong....please Acura!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I was never a fan of the 09+ TSX anyways.
I think that is something a lot of enthusiasts have in common with the new TSX, they don't like them.

The gen before that was more lean, still underpowered but was more enthusiast friendly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah thats what I said!
If there's any acura that needs a manual, it's the TLX. Aside from this it's the ILX and we all know what thats about.
I can't drive the ILX. Even with the seat all the way down, I hit my head on the headliner. And I'm not especially tall.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I guess everyone has an opinion. I really enjoyed the TSX. I had one in 2004, 2007 and 2001. I will miss it. I was tempted to get the 2014, but will wait to see how the TLX turns out. Of course more information on the car is the concern, but pricing also plays a part.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts