Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Acura TLX is based upon the Honda Accord. It is a question worth asking, "What more do you get from the Acura TLX when compared to a fully loaded Honda Accord?"

First off let's look at the pricing. The 4-cylinder TLX is priced at $35,920 while the Accord EX-L V6 comes in at $33,090. That is a price difference of about $3,000.

The Honda Accord also gives you more power than the Acura TLX. The Accord runs on a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 278 hp. The TLX on the other hand has a 206 hp four-cylinder engine. That means that you will get 72 more hp from the Accord's engine. That also translates to the Accord going from o-60 mph a full second faster than the TLX.

The TLX does give drivers an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission which is in contrast to the Accord's conventional six-speed transmission. That gives the TLX a more crisp and sporty feel when driving. The TLX also has better handling and braking, and a quieter cabin than the Accord.

The two vehicles do share some features. Both have climate control, backup cameras, driver and passenger leather seats, as well as good infotainment and safety features. It does appear that the Accord's halogen lamps illuminate the road better than the TLX's LEDs, though some may care more about the look of the lights than their effectiveness.

Ultimately you will pay $3,000 more for the TLX and that will get you a few more speakers, one more year of warranty, and a slower engine that feels more sporty.

Did you consider the Honda Accord before you bought the TLX? Do you think the TLX is worth the extra $3,000?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Comparing a v6 to a 4...stopped reading there!
Next they will be comparing the 2016 ILX with the 2.4 with the v6 TLX!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Accord is a well designed and capable sedan, no question its value is hard to beat. I was seriously considering Accord Touring V6 when shopping for my car. I did compare TLX to Accord and here are some of the things that I am getting with TLX that I could not with Accord: SH-AWD, 9-speed tranny vs 6-speed, heated steering wheel, integrated remote starter, LCD with force feedback, better quality materials inside the cabin, leather feels softer, seats feel and look more upscale, ELS sound system. Better noise insulation, car feels more solid at high speeds.
TLX is more exlusive then Accord, I don't have to tell you that you see an Accord on every corner! Also I believe lane keep assist, cruise control with low speed follow, and collision mitigation is not available on the Accord.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Comparing a v6 to a 4...stopped reading there!
Next they will be comparing the 2016 ILX with the 2.4 with the v6 TLX!!
It's a decent comparison when looking at pricing and what you can get.
Power options won't matter to everyone, not that it doesn't to me, but it's reality with some.

By default, Acura for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My company has four 2013 - 2015 Accords with one V6 and remainder being L4's along with about ten pre-2013 Accords. The 2013+ V6 EX-L Accord has good power but it doesn't handle as well as prior model V6 Accords. In all of them, the interiors are quite functional I guess, but the materials seem a lower grade than pre 2013 models. The one person in our company that has the '15 V6 EX-L would rather have his 2012 V6 back than his new one. They have more features though like the lane watch camera and better fuel economy with the L4 especially. The cost cutting is really apparent on the 2013+ L4's. For example, the rear fascia has cutouts common to V6 with the dual exhaust reliefs, but has only exhaust on one side. It looks funny having both cutouts but only exhaust tip on one side. The L4 Sport model may have dual exhaust tips but I can't remember.

You can still get exhaust tips on Accord, but not TLX. I used to lament that, but I no longer miss them on TLX.

Likewise, I think TL interior materials like the faux carbon fiber and trim is better than the faux woodgrain and silver plastic in the TLX. TLX trim and materials still outclass the EX-L Accord's by a large margin.

If I were going to buy an Accord, it would come down to the EX-L V6 Coupe with the 6-speed manual while they still make it or the L4 Sport model also with the manual. Honda's CVT is pretty smooth, but not my cup of tea.

In terms of handling, TLX. Also Acura is the only way to get SH-AWD which is a big distinction. Paint quality is better on Acura than Honda too. Maintenance costs for TL SH-AWD was no different, sometimes cheaper than AWD CRV at Honda/Acura dealers which surprised me a little. No experience yet with TLX maintenance costs but I don't expect much difference.

I drove company-provided Accords and CRV's for years and they are good values and never had any troubles. Almost all of the late model Honda and Acura sedans have pretty lame OEM tires. After driving Acura's like the TL I pay the difference in price rather than go with the Honda's. If all you want is reliable transportation then Honda for sure.

When I go on vacation, I actually look forward to driving long distances in the Acura (Especially TL because of the seats). I remember stopping halfway to Florida while driving an Accord to buy some small pillows at a Walmart because the seats were unbearable for a long drive.

My TLX SH is a 3 year lease and my TL SH is a '13 due for turn in later this year. I will probably go for an ILX DCT or a TLX DCT to replace it, with some small chance or longshot for the V6 Manual Accord Coupe. If the V6 Manual Coupe had a limited slip differential like the Civic Si, I would be more inclined to get it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EXCEPT for the transmission concerns in the I4 TLX, I am pleased with choosing it over the I4 Accord. Interior color of brown can't be matched, the extra warranty, loaner car while serviced at my Acura dealer and the new body style. I do look at the back end of the TL with envy but when I have to put stuff in the trunk the TSX style of boring square makes life a little easier. The TLX cabin is quieter than the Accord and I doubt I'd do better than an average of 37 MPG on the last three fill ups, some 1500 miles of mostly highway travel so if the transmission wasn't an issue I couldn't love the car more.

·
Registered
222 Posts
EXCEPT for the transmission concerns in the I4 TLX, I am pleased with choosing it over the I4 Accord. Interior color of brown can't be matched, the extra warranty, loaner car while serviced at my Acura dealer and the new body style. I do look at the back end of the TL with envy but when I have to put stuff in the trunk the TSX style of boring square makes life a little easier. The TLX cabin is quieter than the Accord and I doubt I'd do better than an average of 37 MPG on the last three fill ups, some 1500 miles of mostly highway travel so if the transmission wasn't an issue I couldn't love the car more.
Have you noticed a big difference in how much quieter the interior on the TLX is from the Accord?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Very interesting comparison. I think a lot of people just know that they want a luxury badge, but some may find that the Accord fits all their needs for a lower price.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ahhhh the halogens in the Accord light the road better than the LEDs in the TLX -yeah I don't think so, there is no comparison. I had projector beam halogens in my Pilot just like the ones in the Accord and they were useless. I converted them to HID - the whole 9 yards with the phillips bulbs, starters and ballasts. They were excellent and a huge improvement over the OEM. The LED headlights in the TLX are even better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Accord is a well designed and capable sedan, no question its value is hard to beat. I was seriously considering Accord Touring V6 when shopping for my car. I did compare TLX to Accord and here are some of the things that I am getting with TLX that I could not with Accord: SH-AWD, 9-speed tranny vs 6-speed, heated steering wheel, integrated remote starter, LCD with force feedback, better quality materials inside the cabin, leather feels softer, seats feel and look more upscale, ELS sound system. Better noise insulation, car feels more solid at high speeds.
TLX is more exlusive then Accord, I don't have to tell you that you see an Accord on every corner! Also I believe lane keep assist, cruise control with low speed follow, and collision mitigation is not available on the Accord.
And the Blind Spot monitor. That was important to me.

Reactions: jwlkr

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have driven without blind spot monitoring for quite a while so I just don't really feel like that is a necessary part of a vehicle. Perhaps desirable, but probably not something that makes me choose one vehicle over another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife picked up on the quieter cabin and lack of wind noise compared with the 2014 Accord we test drove last summer. After she mentioned it, I agreed. My 06 Accord sounded like I was in a wind tunnel compared to the TLX but that was a great car and my brother is the benefactor of my years of TLC for the Accord.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry my man, there is NO WAY the halogen lights on the Accord are better than the LED's of the TLX. You gotta be kidding me dude. I've owned multiple cars with HID's (IS350, G37, RDX) and the TLX's LED's are a major improvement over those cars.
Man I totally agree with the new LED headlights being much better than anything else I've owned. With the exception of (2) car: S2000 and LS460. I'd have to say it's neck to neck with those two. I owned an IS250 and the HID headlights were horrible. Ironically, I ended up retrofitting them with TSX projectors. :) BAM! Much better.

Anyway, back on topic. The accord is definitely not as refined as the TLX. The TLX is definitely quieter, maybe a tad sportier (I have a V6) on the road. A tad, but noticeable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought about this comparison as well as a few others before I picked up my TLX. Those vehicles were kind of all over the board. An Accord, 300C, 200C, 328 and an RDX to replace my Pilot. I decided after driving everything, to keep the Pilot, and sell my TL and go for the TLX. I think that the comparison between the I4 and V6 Accord is somewhat off base but it would also be off base for the 300C and the 200C since both of those that I considered had a V6 as well.

It's all about sitting behind the wheel. Cranking up some tunes and driving. The Accord I drove was a Sport with an automatic. It was loud. The stereo was barely ok. Road noise, for me, was unacceptable and the interior wasn't as well put together. Expected since it was a lot less expensive. The 200C to me, at least, was a tosser. Nice to look at but without any really good qualities. The driving experience was not a great one. The 300C almost got me. Obviously a lot bigger but super refined. With the equipment I wanted which I think would have been pretty comparably equipped to the TLX was right at 42k. The Infinity sound system was really nice. The BMW equipped the way I would want it make it more expensive than the 300C. Typical of the option prices within the brand.

The overall driving experience, the ELS and the other techno goodies sold me on the TLX along with the expected reliability experience. Oh yeah. Can't forget the gratis car washes and loaners. All of this is just my opinion based on my preferences.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Both great cars and excellent values. I have been test driving all of the variations of the TLX as well as the manual versions of the Accord (Sport and V6 Coupe). The Acura is much more refined and much better materials...even when compared to the V6 Coupe EX-L with Navi. My only concern with the TLX is with the transmission issues that some have been having, although only experienced one incident with a V6 TLX SH - AWD Advanced that had a very strange "rubber band" effect and grind when coming to a stop and getting itself back into first.

I guess it comes down to what you want out of your car. Acura provides higher level of refinement for a few bucks more. Accord is a very good alternative if you want to save a few bucks for the fully loaded. If you like manual, you have to try the V6 coupe....that car has a ton of pick up and is fun to run through the gears.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Test drove an Accord also. I did like it alot before I drove the TLX. The TLX like everyone has mentioned is much more refined and sportier feeling. The Accord felt bigger and heavier and much more ponderous through the twisties. Also, no AWD in the Accord which might be important to some.

The V6 6mt Accord Coupe was a real nice ride. My wife and I are considering trading our Genesis Couoe in for one. The 2016 is rumoured to be getting the TLX V6 and some similar options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We looked at 2015 Accord V6 EXL / Tourings last weekend and I just didn't love the car. The car parts feel less substantial than an Acura, the door thunk, the carpet quality, the noise level. I drive an Odyssey but other than that we seem to be Acura fanatics. I like the Honda price but will wait for the right pre-owned Acura to fall into my price range.

Nothing wrong with the Honda, but we just like the Acuras so much more. (drove a very clean certified, low mileage 2013 TL back to back with the 2015 Accords and preferred the Acura.)

·
Registered
6 Posts

The Acura TLX is based upon the Honda Accord. It is a question worth asking, "What more do you get from the Acura TLX when compared to a fully loaded Honda Accord?"

First off let's look at the pricing. The 4-cylinder TLX is priced at $35,920 while the Accord EX-L V6 comes in at $33,090. That is a price difference of about $3,000.

The Honda Accord also gives you more power than the Acura TLX. The Accord runs on a 3.5-liter V6 that produces 278 hp. The TLX on the other hand has a 206 hp four-cylinder engine. That means that you will get 72 more hp from the Accord's engine. That also translates to the Accord going from o-60 mph a full second faster than the TLX.

The TLX does give drivers an eight-speed dual-clutch transmission which is in contrast to the Accord's conventional six-speed transmission. That gives the TLX a more crisp and sporty feel when driving. The TLX also has better handling and braking, and a quieter cabin than the Accord.

The two vehicles do share some features. Both have climate control, backup cameras, driver and passenger leather seats, as well as good infotainment and safety features. It does appear that the Accord's halogen lamps illuminate the road better than the TLX's LEDs, though some may care more about the look of the lights than their effectiveness.

Ultimately you will pay $3,000 more for the TLX and that will get you a few more speakers, one more year of warranty, and a slower engine that feels more sporty.

Did you consider the Honda Accord before you bought the TLX? Do you think the TLX is worth the extra $3,000?
I owned a fully loaded Accord before purchasing my TLX 2.4 Tech. IMHO, there is very little comparison. The quality of the leather, the number of standard features, the ride, the cabin quietness, sportiness, cornering (love the PAWS), interior & exterior design - are all far superior in the TLX.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts