Acura TLX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
all these sprint V3 purchases.. anyone run it on a '16 TLX 3.5l V6 and notice any difference?
I just installed the V3 SprintBooser on my '16 TLX 3.5l V6 (base) and like others have said, it DOES completely change the way the car feels for the better! MUCH better!
I started at red (race) level 5, which is what it is set to from the factory. I inevitably settled on red 9, as it just made the car so much more responsive, without any "touchy" throttle issues at low speed. The car is very much under your control still at this level - and the reduction in lag is a godsend. The car is actually enjoyable to drive in auto mode now - and all modes benefit from the SprintBooster. I'm sold on it. Every TLX owner should get it to make the car respond like it should.

I went ahead and put together a little tutorial on how I installed the controller in my car - it's a clean stealth install, with the controller in the bottom (hidden) portion of the little tray below the center stack. This way, it's out of sight, but easily accessible if I want to change the mode - Say, if I take it to the dealer :)

Install was super easy, and took about 10 minutes.

There is a little plastic tab in the center that just pops up and out using your finger. I started here and stuck the SprintBooster controller cable through this opening.

You can slip the wire between the notches on the plastic tab, allowing you to reinsert the tab without modifying it at all.

No holes to drill!

Pop off the driver's side kick panel to access the wire that you threaded into this location... Then run the wire towards the accelerator pedal and connect it to the SprintBooster. It's completely hidden this way. Pop the kick panel back on when you're finished and that's it!

And there is the controller, all comfy in the tray :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just installed the V3 SprintBooser on my '16 TLX 3.5l V6 (base) and like others have said, it DOES completely change the way the car feels for the better! MUCH better!
I started at red (race) level 5, which is what it is set to from the factory. I inevitably settled on red 9, as it just made the car so much more responsive, without any "touchy" throttle issues at low speed. The car is very much under your control still at this level - and the reduction in lag is a godsend. The car is actually enjoyable to drive in auto mode now - and all modes benefit from the SprintBooster. I'm sold on it. Every TLX owner should get it to make the car respond like it should.

I went ahead and put together a little tutorial on how I installed the controller in my car - it's a clean stealth install, with the controller in the bottom (hidden) portion of the little tray below the center stack. This way, it's out of sight, but easily accessible if I want to change the mode - Say, if I take it to the dealer :)

Install was super easy, and took about 10 minutes.

There is a little plastic tab in the center that just pops up and out using your finger. I started here and stuck the SprintBooster controller cable through this opening.

You can slip the wire between the notches on the plastic tab, allowing you to reinsert the tab without modifying it at all.

No holes to drill!

Pop off the driver's side kick panel to access the wire that you threaded into this location... Then run the wire towards the accelerator pedal and connect it to the SprintBooster. It's completely hidden this way. Pop the kick panel back on when you're finished and that's it!

And there is the controller, all comfy in the tray :)
I am very enticed with this sprintbooster, is it as easy to remove as it is to install? I don't want to have that device on when I bring it to the dealer, I still have my warranty and do not want it to void it. At $300, is it really worth it? How much lag does it eliminate?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've lurked this and a few other Acura forums for a while now. Finally registered to keep track of owners posting third experiences with performance chips... Anxiously awaiting details. Videos would be nice if at all possible.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am very enticed with this sprintbooster, is it as easy to remove as it is to install? I don't want to have that device on when I bring it to the dealer, I still have my warranty and do not want it to void it. At $300, is it really worth it? How much lag does it eliminate?
It's pretty easy to install/uninstall. The trickiest part, is getting your hand up there above the pedal as space is tight. I installed mine without having to unbolt anything - but I wouldn't want to have to remove it every time I took the car in. Having the control module tucked away in that lower tray makes turning off the sprintbooster easy, which basically returns the car to factory responsiveness, so a tech wouldn't know it was there unless he happened to see the controller in the tray, or happened to look way up under the footwell, above the accelerator pedal.

As far as this voiding the factory warranty - from what I've been told, the dealer would have to prove this device caused whatever problem arose. IF I ever encounter any issues, I'll simply unplug the thing and take the car in. They wouldn't even know it was installed. 0:)

Now - on to the reduction of lag. The Sprintbooster exceeded my expectations in this area. With the understanding that this device is only supposed to change the behavior of the accelerator pedal position/feel - to me, it seems that it also forces the throttle body to open at a faster rate than stock is capable of doing. This would seem to track with other user's testimony, as simply pushing the pedal down faster/further does not give you the same effect as this device will give you.
I use the red 9 setting (the highest sensitivity) and throttle lag is completely eliminated. Because of this, the transmission will also respond with gear shifts quicker, as you're removing all that time it takes for the ECU to respond to your pedal input. This will not make the actual shifts happen faster - but triggering a downshift will happen much faster, if that makes any sense.

Ultimately, the car feels completely different (for the better!) like most users have stated. Honestly, this is how the car should have been sent out of the factory - and IF it had, I think sales for the TLX and, more specifically, the V6 9-speed, would have been much higher. Is it worth almost $300? YES. I struggled with purchasing it because of the cost - but having finally pulled the trigger, I'm not planning on returning it, as the car feels so much better now.

I may make a short video demonstrating the responsiveness change - but I suspect it will not be able to really show off how the feel is improved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Add me to the list of satisfied customers. Installed it last night in my '16 SH-AWD Advance, and and did exactly what I hoped. It truly "just feels right".

Paying $300 for something that is likely about $30 in parts hurts, but paying $300 to improve the responsiveness of a $45K car is a drop in the well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about it. I have the 2015 Tech V6 SH-AWD. I have been complaining to Acura about throttle response since I bought the car. I feel like I have to floor it to force the engine to respond aggressively. I had the 2005 TL 6SPM which was super responsive and what I was used to. Going from manual to auto tranny made a huge difference (negative). I wish the TLX offered manual.

With that said, it sounds like the Sprint Booster will give me what I've been looking for since I bought the car in October 2014. I have one of the first 200 off the assembly line.

My only concern at this point is that the Sprint Booster will damage the throttle computer over time. Based on my research, the Sprint Booster increases the "voltage" to the computer. That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. If the throttle body or computer got fried or damaged, it would probably be a very expensive repair and the Acura mechanics would probably give me the "I told you so" speech.

However, I'm so disappointed with the stock throttle response and the installation is simple enough for DIY that I think I'm going to go for it. Now I just need to explain to my wife where the $300 went.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Although I'm no expert, I'd be shocked if it caused any damage. All it's doing is intercepting the signal that your accelerator pedal is already sending, and instead sending a signal that tells the computer that the pedal is pressed down further than it actually is. In race 9 mode, when you press the pedal down 50% it sends the signal that it's pressed down to 100%. It's basically a programmable attenuator.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Wonder what that would do over time... I would think the mixture will be running too rich (50% throttle but system thinks you have 100% throttle open = more fuel)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody with a 4-cylinder engine using the Sprint Booster? What's your experience? I have a 2017 2.4L w/ Tech Package and was wondering if I would benefit from this. Sure sounds like fun.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anybody with a 4-cylinder engine using the Sprint Booster? What's your experience? I have a 2017 2.4L w/ Tech Package and was wondering if I would benefit from this. Sure sounds like fun.
Have a 2017 4 cylinder TLX. Just bought the Sprintbooster v3 it's on the way. Actually wanted v2 because the extra features kinda concern me for something as critical as a gas pedal (for example, valet mode kicking on or security mode disabling throttle entirely). The manufacturers website advertises the V2 for sale, but when you try to check out it says there's zero available. Probably should have asked them if they're out of inventory or the website is wrong.

I'll install it in the next week or two and let you know. I've asked the same question as you here and another forum, and no one with a 4 cyl who has also bought the Sprintbooster has chimed in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed mine day after taking delivery of my car. The lag is horrible before it. The Sprint booster solves it completely and transforms the car.
Could somebody please explain how what the sprint booster does, is different than simply pressing the gas pedal harder/faster?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Could somebody please explain how what the sprint booster does, is different than simply pressing the gas pedal harder/faster?

I would suggest looking at post #42 in this thread. It discusses what the sprintbooster does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would suggest looking at post #42 in this thread. It discusses what the sprintbooster does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was generously given a free sprint booster from another forum member (over on Acurazine TLX forums) - and it does what I thought it would do, essentially remaps the throttle position, making it seem like you're pressed the throttle further.

I think I like it some, but, I'm not quite sure yet - I've had it for a couple/few weeks now. I leave it on in "Red" mode (highest setting). Mine is the V2.

I mean, I like it, but, I think it will make it more likely that I'll use more gas and perhaps wear out my car a little faster. Will have to think about it more, to decide if I want to keep it on "red" mode indefinitely or not...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sprint booster was nice for a while but i had issues where it sent my car into limp mode and had to end up taking it out as the computer being tricked messed with the transmission according to the dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The sprint booster was nice for a while but i had issues where it sent my car into limp mode and had to end up taking it out as the computer being tricked messed with the transmission according to the dealer.
I'd be really interested to hear if your problem with the transmission goes away, I'd put a lot of money on it not having anything to do with the SprintBooster. Check out the video on their site: https://www.sprintboostersales.com/How-It-Works.cfm The only thing the device does is make it look like you're pressing your foot down further and faster than you actually are. That's it. The transmission isn't involved in it at all.

Your dealer doesn't know this, and they're trained to blame any mod for all problems the minute they find one. That's what they've probably done in this case.

I personally ran my car with one for 2.5 years before I traded it in, and never had a single issue. To my knowledge, no one else has reported any issues either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be really interested to hear if your problem with the transmission goes away, I'd put a lot of money on it not having anything to do with the SprintBooster. Check out the video on their site: https://www.sprintboostersales.com/How-It-Works.cfm The only thing the device does is make it look like you're pressing your foot down further and faster than you actually are. That's it. The transmission isn't involved in it at all.

Your dealer doesn't know this, and they're trained to blame any mod for all problems the minute they find one. That's what they've probably done in this case.

I personally ran my car with one for 2.5 years before I traded it in, and never had a single issue. To my knowledge, no one else has reported any issues either.
When i had taken the product out after the problem and took it to the dealer and they fix it initially i obviously went to put it back in but same thing happened so i left it out lesson learned i suppose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When i had taken the product out after the problem and took it to the dealer and they fix it initially i obviously went to put it back in but same thing happened so i left it out lesson learned i suppose.
Interesting. I'd take that up with Mini Mania, it sounds like maybe something is wrong with the unit you have then. Maybe they'd send you a replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm.. this is something I might need. Coming from a 5 speed BMW producing 370 hp and 380 ft. lbs TQ. I was a little disappointed with the acceleration of my TLX. But the sprint booster might be perfect.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts