Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glad you bumped this Mr TLX because I got a good chuckle - the TLX accelerates ok especially if you shift down 1 or 2 gears before you floor it, but I have NEVER been thrown back in my seat! And I am known to have a heavy foot!

Anyway, pretty tough to truly improve performance on a naturally aspirated engine unless you make big mods. Like installing a super charger! Usually the small mods provide small incremental increases that you probably would not notice in the real world.

The single biggest thing this car needs is more torque, not HP.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm thrown back in with the TLX when I hit it... wonder if you always a heave foot did the TLX learn your style and smooth out the acceleration? I'm not heavy but when I need it I want it and the TLX delivers. Its learned to hold shifts while merging on the highway for me... very cool TLX!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Glad you bumped this Mr TLX because I got a good chuckle - the TLX accelerates ok especially if you shift down 1 or 2 gears before you floor it, but I have NEVER been thrown back in my seat! And I am known to have a heavy foot!

Anyway, pretty tough to truly improve performance on a naturally aspirated engine unless you make big mods. Like installing a super charger! Usually the small mods provide small incremental increases that you probably would not notice in the real world.

The single biggest thing this car needs is more torque, not HP.
Completely agree about more torque thing. I test drove Infiniti Q50, and that thing did throw me back in the seat. Gotta love those turbo engines. ;) But in general to occasional sporty driving, I feel TLX is just fine.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not trying to be a smart arsh.... but wouldn't power toss you back in your seat and torque "pull you through something, offer the ability to pull something at low speeds?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm thrown back in with the TLX when I hit it... wonder if you always a heave foot did the TLX learn your style and smooth out the acceleration? I'm not heavy but when I need it I want it and the TLX delivers. Its learned to hold shifts while merging on the highway for me... very cool TLX!
Just curious, does the TLX learn your style once and set it or is it continually updating?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ktuner doesnt list the TLX but hes done alot of work on V6 accords. I guess he can now shut off VCM completely. You can contact him to see if he is willing to try a tune on a TLX

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just curious, does the TLX learn your style once and set it or is it continually updating?
Ktuner doesnt list the TLX but hes done alot of work on V6 accords. I guess he can now shut off VCM completely. You can contact him to see if he is willing to try a tune on a TLX

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
contacted them.. will see what they say..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think this is all relative. My weekend driver was a modified Z06. With that said the, TLX is by no means a race / performance car, but I do feel it's adequate for its niche. As mentioned above, drastic improvements could be had when modifying a forced induction engine. A tune or supercharger pulley swap can yield tremendous gains. There's not much that could be done here. The engine uses a high compression ratio so adding a supercharger or turbo charger has its limits. I'm sure some "bolt-ons" could provide efficiency and therefor offer slight improvements but nothing note-worthy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not trying to be a smart arsh.... but wouldn't power toss you back in your seat and torque "pull you through something, offer the ability to pull something at low speeds?
HP will give you a higher top speed but it is torque that gets you off the line quickly. Torque that begins at a lower rpm (usually seen in forced induction engines or electrics) will make a car feel quicker.

Torque that peaks at a high rpm will not feel quick until the engine reaches that high rpm. That is why you will feel fast acceleration in a Tesla because the battery gives you instant peak torque. It is also why other gas cars might be beat off the line by a Tesla but could have a higher speed at the quarter mile.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My TLX leaps forward when I floor it, pushing me back in the seat.
For sure, what each of us feels is relative. The TLX has decent acceleration but to me the engine has to work too hard, and I have never felt any serious backwards push into my seat.

I drove the new Audi Q5 last week with a turbo 4 that puts out less HP and similar torque as the TLX V6. That Q5 pushed me back in my seat more than my TLX.

I also drive or have driven 300+hp, 400+hp and 500+hp cars and all of those definitely pushed me back.

So indeed it is all relative, but when I compare the TLX to lighter cars with more lower end torque or higher hp cars, to me, the TLX does not feel fast.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Couple of other thoughts:

1. I wonder if the weight of the AWD in my car is why I feel disappointed with it's performance vs the OP's FWD which pushes him into his seat? I only test drive the car once and with the specs on paper, I really expected to be more impressed than I have been.

2. If someone really wants better performance from a TLX, just wait some years because almost certainly the future models will be lighter and with higher power forced induction or hybrid engines. Bet on that. Then you could take those engines to the tuners!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The difference is about 125 pounds between the 4 and 6 cylinder AWD and about 93 pounds for the non AWD for what its worth.

·
Registered
213 Posts
alright guys.. about a TUNER.. spoke with KTuner as mentioned on the other page..
they said they can do 2015-2016 V6 TLX's if anyone's interested..
price is $449 or $649 but it's a tune yourself set up which i'm not sure i'd know enough to be able to use it and at $649 for an obII plug in device it's kinda steep
here's the link

15-17 TLX ? KTuner, LLC

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently installed sprint booster, based on forum on Acurazine,well worth it. It will give you the acceleration/push you are looking for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently installed sprint booster, based on forum on Acurazine,well worth it. It will give you the acceleration/push you are looking for.
I installed mine day after taking delivery of my car. The lag is horrible before it. The Sprint booster solves it completely and transforms the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed mine day after taking delivery of my car. The lag is horrible before it. The Sprint booster solves it completely and transforms the car.
I did the same as well. Sprint Booster V3 changes everything :)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts