Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 3.5L FWD 2016 one, and after 6 months I've honestly gotten used to the power way too much. Granted, it's still a fast car and it throws me back into my seat regardless, but I do want to add some power without compromising the reliability of the v6.

Did anyone have any bolt-ons or any ECU tunes done on their TLX?

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
To be fair, the Takeda does not state it will add an extra 17HP. It does say: “The all new Takeda Retain Intake System produces up to 17 Horsepower and 15 lbs. x ft. of torque over stock.” Stating “up to” is their disclaimer should you go to the trouble of having a Dyno Test and finding out you got a horsepower number of somewhere between 0 to 17 horsepower.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah "up to" is true, but you do feel an additional kick though.. I'd gauge it in the 10+HP range on feel alone

Reactions: Mark Pettygrove

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ah, the old "butt dyno".

CAI adds noise. When they advertise hp increases, it's peak hp, and typically at the very top or near top of the engines rev range. Not infrequently, there's a dip in hp and more importantly torque in the rpm range where drivers spend most of their time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ah, the old "butt dyno".

CAI adds noise. When they advertise hp increases, it's peak hp, and typically at the very top or near top of the engines rev range. Not infrequently, there's a dip in hp and more importantly torque in the rpm range where drivers spend most of their time.
I was going to comment what a great assometer that must be to detect a 3% change in HP... :) :eek: :D

Reminds me of 2 cars I had, 1 had a violent vtec hit, seemed really fast, the other was strong and smooth, didn't "seem" fast, but was in fact just as fast as the other car. Taught me that the butt dyno/assometer isn't a good determination of speed and HP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold air intake was actually one of the things on my list, I just wasn't sure about it since K&N the grandaddy of them all has nothing for this engine. I'll most likely get the Takeda.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The Accord 3.5 K&N fits the TLX. My dealer sells them as an accessory.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Greddy makes one too

·
Registered
215 Posts
A few extra hp is nice, but I'd rather it do what it is supposed to do: FILTER the grunge from intake. Anyone who has replaced an air filter can tell you about the stuff a good one will keep out of your engine. I'm sticking with OEM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided that for starters I'll probably do a custom exhaust. I saw someone removing the resonators and adding quad tips that stick out from under the bumper, and I really want to do that now. Not sure of what HP gains I'll be seeing though, but I'm ready to do it for the awesome sounds and aesthetics alone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I removed the resonators and put a before and after clip up on this forum somewhere.. it was a good change, I like the new sound much better

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I removed the resonators and put a before and after clip up on this forum somewhere.. it was a good change, I like the new sound much better
I did see your thread. To be honest, I didn't hear much difference from that video so I'm at the shop right now removing the mufflers instead of the resonators and probably adding a dual exhaust tip under the rear bumper as well.

Will post an after picture and sound capture. Super excited!

·
Registered
213 Posts
bumping another old thread.. i installed the Takeda stage 2 intake.. not sure if it's a decrease or increase to the stock intake..
was hoping it's at least not a decrease considering it's a short ram intake and oem is true cold air..
however the sound is amazing.. i also have the the stupid jerk/lag at 2500-3000 so that doesn't help testing the intake..

ANYWAYS bumped this in regards to a software tune, any out there yet??
don't really wanna get the throttle body spacer, not doing aftermarket exhaust so i'm not sure what else is out there..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts