Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The story leading up to the release of the Acura TLX was a question of whether or not this sedan would be able to turn around Acura's lackluster sedan lineup. There were many who didn't think the TLX went far enough. Now with 3 solid months of sales under its belt, the TLX is proving its haters wrong.

The Acura TLX is proving that it can hold its own in the uber-competitive American luxury car segment. In the month of October it came in 5th overall in its segment. Only 4 models outsold it: the BMW 5-Series, Lexus ES, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, and the BMW 3/4-Series. The TLX was only behind the BMW 5-Series by 24 units. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

Another promising sign for the Acura TLX is the trend of its sales over the past 3 months. Sales have been consistently increasing month after month. In August 2,286 were sold. September saw 3,884 sales, and October saw 4,890.

Do you think that the TLX will be able to keep up this steady increase in sales? Will it be able to rise past 5th position in its segment?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wow, BMW really do have a nice piece of the pie down there! Two in the top five and those combined beat the other top three combined!
Not taking away from TLX's very impressive first few months of sales though! They had a lot of good competition but are selling really well. Be interested to see Canada numbers too.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think Canada sales line up pretty well the same. Usually they do anyway.

Acura must be really happy about the results so far. They had a lot riding on the TLX, and there were many skeptics. I bet they feel pretty proud of themselves.

·
Registered
222 Posts
that is crazy, but it is consistent with what i have been seeing on the road, already i have seen a few of them and that's with being a good distance away from acura dealers and being outside for a short period of time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If your someone that likes the latest technology in a car I don't think you can beat the TLX for the price. Go on the BMW or Mercedes or Audi website and build an equivalent 3 series or C class or A3 and after you add $900 for metallic paint and $3,200 for driver assistance package and $800 for a moonroof etc etc you will be $7,000 to $10,000 higher. Doesn't make sense to me to drive a BMW 3 series at $45,000 with fake leather seats and halogen headlights - that doesn't scream luxury to me. Then a few years down the road when your maintenance plan runs out - Bring More Wallet to get the repairs done. I'm also done with the beak haters - I admit the recent TL's are a bit much with the Robo-Chicken or can opener grill but on the TLX to me it almost looks like an airplane wing that flows nicely into the headlights. A customer who drives an S series Mercedes came in to my workplace inquiring who owned the fantastic looking car in the parking lot - he was referring to my TLX ;-)

·
Registered
430 Posts
4890 TLXs were sold in October, a 95% year-over-year increase compared with the combined total of the TL and TSX in October 2013, a 26% increase compared with the TLX’s own total from September of this year. During a month in which brand-wide Acura sales rose 8%, the TLX accounted for 31.7% of all Acura sales. These were tremendously useful figures for Acura last month, as the ILX, RLX, TL, TSX, MDX, RDX, and ZDX all posted year-over-year decreases.
Now Is The Acura TLX A Hit? - The Truth About Cars

·
Registered
317 Posts
Now what i'm wonder is how much longer can they keep this up for?
I can see a big portion of that 4xxx number being loyalists and people who are just comfortable with buying an Acura over the many luxury vehicles out there.

Hopefully sales don't dip down significantly as time goes on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think as the word spreads on this car, sales will continue to grow. Right now it feels like the TLX is a sleeper...

The next hurdle frankly is what Consumer Reports says in their review. I think a lot of folks in this price range look to CR for solid advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think as the word spreads on this car, sales will continue to grow. Right now it feels like the TLX is a sleeper...

The next hurdle frankly is what Consumer Reports says in their review. I think a lot of folks in this price range look to CR for solid advice.

I agree. I am one of those who subscribes to Consumer Reports - they published a first impressions report on the TLX which was mixed.

All-New 2015 Acura TLX May Have Hit its Target - Consumer Reports News

It will be interesting to see what ratings they give it after they have completed their first assessment phase. Still, if the TLX is half the car the TSX was, it should do well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea now Acura needs to focus on sustaining this level of sales. More advertising and extolling the virtues of the TLX compared to other luxury sedans should do the trick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another factor of initial high numbers of units sold was the built up demand of past TL owners who have been waiting for the past several years for Acura to get their act together. I have about 2500 miles on My X and feel it is a winner even if the sales figures level.

It is very hard to change BMW owners to anything else the brand loyality is out of sight even if they are in the shop a lot. There have been so many sold and the numbers of owners past and present is so large Acura will never catch them. The truth is they do drive better and they should for the extra money and trouble they cause you. Then there is the whole status thing....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Talking about advertising, I think I've seen more TLX commercials over the last month or so than I've ever seen before from Acura.
Agree ! And they are very short, just like some sort of tweets, but with high frequency of airing them. I think it aims at developing interest by showing different aspects of the car hoping that people get curious and will make a trip to the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts