Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TLX Admin
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In a recent night-driving road test of 2015 TLX, Torque News-Acura was astounded by the near-day-light illumination of Acura's latest Jewel Eye LED 5 projector beam headlamp technology. We believe Jewel Eye is the white-brightest and safest night-driving illumination, day-time running light assesory in the automotive world today.

In a recent night-driving road test of 2015 TLX, Torque News-Acura was astounded by the near-day-light illumination of Acura's latest Jewel Eye LED 5 projector beam headlamp technology. We believe them to be the best in the business.

The drive

One has to experience driving 2015 Acura TLX in the dark, to fully appreciate the superior headlamp array that is Acura "Jewel Eye" LED 5 beam technology. We've never experienced anything quite like it in any other production car or light truck. Jewel Eye headlamps, as standard featured throughout the Acura sedan lineup are stunning.
The Jewel Eye benefit to the night driver is a brighter, whiter and wider field of vision, with a 200 millisecond quicker illumination of distant road and side of the road objects. At 60 mph that's 17 seconds quicker than conventional headlights.

Acura puts it this way

Stunning, highly illuminating Jewel Eye® LED headlights are standard equipment on all TLX models. Five LEDs per side provide a whiter, brighter beam, use less energy and last significantly longer than HID or traditional halogen headlights.

On low beam, the three outer LEDs on each light reveal the road more clearly without blinding oncoming traffic. The lenses are precisely aimed, yet focus the LED beam over a longer, wider area.
Engaging the high beams adds the two inner LEDs, illuminating distant objects 200 milliseconds sooner than conventional lights. At 60 mph, 200 milliseconds is over 17 feet.

All LED lenses can act as daytime running lights, giving the TLX a distinctive light signature even in bright sunlight.

When the lights are turned off, reflective surfaces behind the lenses contribute to the bright, jewel-like appearance, says Acura engineering.

We like Acura's state of the art while-light LED headlights for near future offerings as found on 2016 MDX. And yes, Jewel Eye headlamp technology will be featured on 2016 Acura NSX Hybrid Supercar when released for sale in the fall of 2015; we look forward to driving it!

Source [Torquenews.com]

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I also agree. The headlights in my Veloster were garbage lol.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I disagree.

i know a few things about HID headlights. i've done a BMW HID retrofit in my 94 integra headlights, and a few other HID projector retrofits in other cars aswell.

Honda/Acura has one of the best HID projectors on the market, better than bmw and audi. the HID cutoff is the sharpest and provide the best spread too. those honda/acura projectors are found in the S2K, TSX, and i believe the TL.

my TSX had a much much sharper cut-off compared to the 2015 RDX, MDX, or TLX. (i had the RDX and MDX as loaners at one point). The cutoff on the jewel eye headlights is not as sharp, and there is a glare with the TLX headlights. next time at night, pull up to a building and you will see that there are two spots high up above the HID cut off that the headlights glare. that may be due to the fact that they are LED projectors and not HID projectors.

example:

TLX: (and this is just taken off the net, i'll take a good pic tonight)

TSX:

s2000:

having said that, considering that there are 5 seperate LED projectors in the jewel eye headlights, the TLX is very good for what it is, and they look fantastic compared to just 1 HID projector. they also look like they are a different kelvin from the stock HID 4300K. i'd happily give up a bit of performance for the look of the jewel eyes but performance wise they fall a bit short.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That reminds me, I never did figure out how to aim them. Mine seem a bit off.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The above article has some pretty poor facts.

200 milliseconds? Do they mean 200 meters? Feet? inches? If it is a time stat then it is relative and meaningless without speed.

Is is 17 seconds (not a chance) or 17 feet at 60 mph? It says both.

So I have to ASSUMEthat at 60 mph you get 200msec more warning. 1/5 of a second, not very much...

Junk writing like this destroys the credibilty of a great headlight system. So I believe none of it...other than my experience. Which is awesome. Imho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats the exact point that got me in first read in this article. Does it mean LED lights travels faster than other kinds of lights? Cant believe it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Perhaps this will shed a little light on the topic...

According to this review at autobytel.com, we're talking about: "When the inner high beams are activated they allow you to make out distant objects 200 milliseconds faster than with traditional lights (which works out to about 17 feet at 60 mph)."

An incremental improvement, to be sure...

What Are Acura's Jewel Eye LED Headlights? | Autobytel.com

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its still a poorly written piece. The correct constant thus must be 17 feet, which equates to 200 msec at 60 mph. Or forever at 0 mph. Or zero at the speed of light, ignoring all of Einsteins stuff of course :)

And light, irregardless of led, halogen, greem, red...alway travels at the same speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
> On low beam, the three outer LEDs on each light reveal the road more clearly without blinding oncoming traffic.

I don't about others but I am constantly getting flashed for High Beams being perceived as on.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I live out in the country where the roads are very dark and Im always getting flashed by on coming traffic lol.

·
Registered
996 Posts
At SO many instances, people in the oncoming cars have attacked me with high beams thinking I am driving with high beams. I then oblige them with my high beams showing I wasn't driving with high beams. THIS is what my high beams look like :cool:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Have not had many flashes from others but man these to light up the road nicely even in the rain... The fogs are even needed esp for more light at the front for others to see you. Love the Jewels, best illumination I've ever had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
TLX headlights are definitely a nice surprise. I never thought much about headlights, or noticed significant distances in other cars I've driven, but these are night and day(light). I mostly notice that I can now read street signs from much farther away, and see potential situations like people walking their dogs on sidewalks. With this new stadium-lighting, I expected to get complaints from oncoming traffic, but none so far. As far as range, maybe they will freeze deer before they make it to the middle of the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not quite as elated as others here.

To me the lights look awesome but are less than awesome at lighting up the road for any great distance away from the vehicle. It is really nice and bright for a short distance but the cut off at the top of the low beams is too low. It is like a wall of blackness rising up ahead at night. The high beams are poor at lighting the road ahead IMO.

The latest news from IIHS is not good:
New IIHS ratings show most headlights are lacking

·
Registered
996 Posts
I've seen the Lexus LED lights on the news cars and they are by far the brightest of them all even in the day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts