Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
TLX Admin
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Transmission Issues

Acura has already been running into issues with the ZF-sourced 9-speed transmission in it's highly anticipated TLX, amounting to about 50 percent or more of all delivered 2015 models. For more information and the latest updates on this matter, see the below:

Transmission Discussions:

Seems a big TLX problem mentioned over and over again deals with Transmission issues.

Are you driving an TLX I4 or TLX V6 with or without any transmission issues?

Note: Let us close this poll on 12/31/14 and close this thread on the same last day of 2014.

Please vote if you haven't already. Hopefully after repairs and new purchases, these numbers will show improvement next year.

Acura TLX Technical Service Bulletins

Anyone familiar with new vehicle ownership, the possible issues that show and what resources to make use of, are aware of how valuable Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) can be. For the latest in Acura TLX TSB's, This Thread will be of great value to you.

Supposedly this was updated yesterday, 12/18/14. Not sure where the update was performed.

VIN :
YEAR : 2015 MAKE : Acura MODEL : TLX
NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 2 LAST UPDATED: Dec 18, 2014

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: AWAITING#
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JM8
RECALL DATE: 12/03/2014
RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
SUMMARY:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2015 ACURA TLX V6 VEHICLES. DURING MANUFACTURING OF THE 9 SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT CONTAMINATION MAY GET INTO THE PARKING PAWL OR THE PARK ROD MAY BECOME DISLODGED OR BROKEN, BOTH OF WHICH CAN PREVENT THE TRANSMISSION FROM SHIFTING INTO THE PARK POSITION.
SAFETY RISK:
ALTHOUGH THE SHIFT INDICATOR WILL DISPLAY "PARK", THE PARK LOCK MAY NOT ENGAGE, ALLOWING THE VEHICLE TO ROLL AWAY AND INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
REMEDY:
HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION, FREE OF CHARGE. THE LETTER WILL ALSO INFORM THEM ALWAYS TO ENGAGE THE MANUAL PARKING BRAKE AS A PRECAUTION UNTIL THE INSPECTION CAN BE COMPLETED. BECAUSE THE NEW VEHICLE WARRANTY ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WOULD HAVE PROVIDED A FREE REPAIR FOR THE PROBLEM ADDRESSED BY THIS RECALL, WITHOUT ANY PAYMENT BY THE OWNER, REIMBURSEMENT FOR PRE-NOTIFICATION REPAIRS WILL NOT BE OFFERED. NOTIFICATION TO CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON JANUARY 6, 2015. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA CLIENT RELATIONS AT 1-800-382-2238, OPTION 4. HONDA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JM8.

Vibrations

Some TLX owners have been reporting vibrations they've unfortunately experienced in many different situations, if you're experiencing this, reporting it in one the many topics related is a great start to narrowing down on the source.

Does anyone else get small vibrations when driving around 40mph and 60mph? I brought my car into Acura and they told me that this is how the car should drive. They continued to say that these mph were the car's sweet spots. If I keep my car at 40mph +- 1or2 mph then I will get small vibrations. Same thing goes for 60mph. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing these issues or normalities.

Sales

Ever since it's launch, sales of the TLX have been impressive. While it may be too early to officially call it a sales success for Acura, it's hard not to take note of the serious traction it has gained since release. We can only hope that this trend continues...

Awwww yea, TLX shows a small bump over the TL and TSX's shared 25% (not shown below)

more...
One big draw is the TLX's selection of engines -- a 2.4-liter four-cylinder in front-wheel drive and a 3.5-liter V-6 in either fwd or all-wheel drive -- said Lee Hubbard, managing partner at Jay Wolfe Acura in Kansas City, Mo. The dealership has sold 77 TLX units through October, with sales up 45 percent over the TL and TSX in the same period last year.

"We always had kickback from customers trying to sell a four-cylinder like the TSX offered because it didn't offer enough performance," he said. "But now we have as many asking for the four-cylinder that's mated to the all-new eight-speed transmission and optional drive modes."

more...

Track Day with the TLX

@Ben_Snaper got the chance to track test both a TLX 4-Cylinder PAWS Tech and a TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park in Ontario, Canada. Making it even better, not only did he get to drive the all-new TLX but got behind the wheel of it's competition to get a true sense of how the TLX stacks up within it's segment! See his full report and more, here.

Acura sent me this past fall to Canadian Tire Motorsport Park to Ride and Drive the all new TLX, at it was AMAZING!! :)

We had a chance to look at some cool new features like the new Tire Fill Assist feature. We also got to use Siri Eyes Free which really is easy to use if you are an iPhone user. Even had a chance to try the all new driver assist and safety features such as the Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). Both were good systems however the CMBS did nothing on 2 occasions (2/15 participants). These systems are not perfect but great to have just in case.

Finally after all that it was track time!! We got to test both the TLX 4cyl PAWS Tech and the TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite against its competitors. Up against the TLX 4cyl was the 2014 Lexus IS250 RWD and the 2014 BMW 320i. Against the TLX V6 SH-AWD Elite was the 2014 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro and the 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD.

First I got to drive the BMW 320i which I thought drove really well. It was very sporty and felt like it was a solid heavy built vehicle, not very much flexibility in the frame, very flat cornering. It was the most underpowered of the 4cyl models but handled very well when put to its limit. One thing I noticed was that this was the only car equipped with summer tires while all the other vehicles had OEM all seasons. The BMW had a good transmission and solid engine but the lack of usable power on the track did make this vehicle seem a bit slow.

more...

How's your MPG on your TLX?

What's gas mileage like on your TLX? Worse than advertised? Exactly as advertised? or Better than advertised? Whatever your MPG may be, seeing what other owners have reported along with all influential factors can be found here. Don't forget to post your MPG numbers!

On my third tank now.

I seem to average 35.5 MPG on the highway and 28 combined city/highway in Sport mode using premium gasoline. 75% of my driving is interstate/turnpike. I never just drive in the city alone. Once I take a long trip out of town on the highway, I will manually check the mileage.

I am happy I get this much in Sport. I wonder if the computer can be trusted?
V6 - Tech, 4th tank of premium fuel, 'ECONOMY' IDS Mode, 33.2 MPG avg, 47 MPH avg. I do not like the way the car performs or the MPG in this mode. I am going to cycle thru the modes again to see if there are any changes due to 'break-in'. I have 1,500 miles on the car now. Back to 'NORMAL' mode with this tank.
My 2.4 tech TLX is averaging about 21 MPG (according to trip computer) at best when driving in city, anyone else have fuel economy this low? I normally drive in Sport mode but have also tried normal and it didn't help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts