Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reports of noteworthy engine oil dilution with K20C series engines?

I only bring it up as I've noticed an improved MPG with recent drop in temperatures, guessing engine oil viscosity is decreasing, when driving habits remain the same. We had our first freeze a couple days ago, and recalled hearing about 1.5L TGDIs on CRVs having similar issues. I pulled the dipstick, and the oil level appears borderline high with a distinct and strong gasoline odor.

Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Bicycle fork

Also, wished they would have used more traditional hashed marked metallic end dip stick, with the orange plastic damn near impossible to read.

·
Registered
196 Posts
No reported issues. The better fuel economy is based on air temp and air density. I doubt it has any thing to do with oil viscosity, since the only play 0W(winter) has is while the engine is cold. The oil will flow like
20 as the engine reaches normal temp along as with the oil Temp!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any reports of noteworthy engine oil dilution with K20C series engines?

I only bring it up as I've noticed an improved MPG with recent drop in temperatures, guessing engine oil viscosity is decreasing, when driving habits remain the same. We had our first freeze a couple days ago, and recalled hearing about 1.5L TGDIs on CRVs having similar issues. I pulled the dipstick, and the oil level appears borderline high with a distinct and strong gasoline odor.

View attachment 27011

Also, wished they would have used more traditional hashed marked metallic end dip stick, with the orange plastic damn near impossible to read.
We also are seeing a significant improvement in MPG since the cooler weather arrived. I attributed the increase to running the A/C less. I’ve been told that the A/C compressor consumes 7 hp from the engine when it is running. That same 7hp is enough to keep the TLX at a steady 50 MPH with the AC off. Car A/C systems are about the same as a whole (small) house system. A good house A/C system can drop the temperature in our homes about 3 degrees an hour on a hot day assuming 80 degrees inside your home when the AC is turned on. A car’s A/C must be able to drop the temp 20 degrees in 10 minutes inside your car on a hot day assuming 120 degrees inside when the AC is turned on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Auto AC compressors themselves being Scroll or Vane type consumes a lot less than the old recripricating compressors. Once a cars cabin reaches temp and the blower speed is in lower speed it actually can take less than 1hp. The big load is on the alternator when the blower speed is in a higher setting.
As far as home HVAC it all depends on outside temp, humidity, insulation, and air tightness of the home. Hence the reason a HVAC installer should use the manual J calculation and not just square footage when sizing the HVAC system.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
Turbo motors love cold, dense air. Intercoolers on the intake tract used to be a popular performance modification, but they seem to have fallen out of favor as of late.

·
Registered
54 Posts
We also are seeing a significant improvement in MPG since the cooler weather arrived. I attributed the increase to running the A/C less. I’ve been told that the A/C compressor consumes 7 hp from the engine when it is running. That same 7hp is enough to keep the TLX at a steady 50 MPH with the AC off. Car A/C systems are about the same as a whole (small) house system. A good house A/C system can drop the temperature in our homes about 3 degrees an hour on a hot day assuming 80 degrees inside your home when the AC is turned on. A car’s A/C must be able to drop the temp 20 degrees in 10 minutes inside your car on a hot day assuming 120 degrees inside when the AC is turned on.
I used to get better mileage in my 2018 Accord 2.0T with the AC on than off. No idea why, I wasn't any lighter on the pedal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback all, didn't factor A/C usage into fuel economy, but good points.

Well for peace of mind, I decided to drain the pan at a little over 3k anyway, but no filter replacement. I should only get 5.0 qts, but overfilled the newly empty oil container, so little greater than 6 qts. No indications of metallic fouling from wear, dark discoloration I attribute to the molybdenum grease from factory on parts, but definitely had gasoline smell, planning to send off for UOA, just to peg the percentage of fuel present. I'll check again in the next 3K, unless oil level rise faster than anticipated. If I'm going to have to change the oil more frequently, definitely going to use one of those Fumoto quick drain valves.

Turbo motors love cold, dense air. Intercoolers on the intake tract used to be a popular performance modification, but they seem to have fallen out of favor as of late.
Yes, however denser air results in the PMG-FI dumping more fuel to maintain the correct fuel to air ratio, thus why in cold engine start in the morning you can occasionally smell gas if your near the exhaust. Fuel weeping by the piston rings is further compounded by short trips, where the engine may not reach operating temperature to burn off the fuel in the engine oil. May have to make space in the garage, to keep her indoors, and take it out for longer drives, 20+ minutes of high way time, or may even install an engine block heater.

BTW, since you mentioned intercoolers, did anyone see the TSB-20-053?

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Going to have the dealer flash the PMG-FI, just in case next time I'm out there. Apparently, operating in humid environments can result in sudden loss of engine power. The CEL flashes, indicating misfire, there's been cases reported with folks going full throttle in rain or fog having misfires on K20C series. The remedy more invasive on the Accord and RDX though, full intercooler replacement, but it would appear for now on the TLX it's just an programming update on the fuel injector. I'm curious as to the differences in the Accord versus TLX intercooler, part numbers are different. So perhaps they Honda/Acura resolved the issue before production? Hope the supply chain normalizes. Last, time I was at the dealer they were struggling to get parts to service vehicles, shortage for engine filters, windscreens and number of other items. I use to be able to get rear diff fluid, DSPF for instance, but no joy, followed up with local Honda dealership - same story from their parts department.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts