Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've been thinking about Acura's approach to luxury. Autoextremist states it pretty succinctly as, "Technology for technology's sake."

Indeed, the TLX has followed that mantra. Acura has put every piece of technology that they have into the TLX. Just take a look at this list of technologies.

- Precision All-Wheel Steer
- Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD)
- Agile Handling Assist
- Integrated Dynamic System (IDS)
- Acura Link
- HomeLink remote system
- Real-time traffic
- Lane Departure Warning system
- Lane Keeping assist system
- Collision Mitigation Braking system

Now having all those technologies is not a bad thing in itself, but I feel that Acura has conflated luxury with technology. Ultimately, the luxury buyer is looking for much more than just technology. I think that luxury buyers see luxury as a feeling and a lifestyle. It has to do with the design of the vehicle, the care that has been put into it, and the pride you take in owning the vehicle. Many luxury buyers would give up a whole bunch of these technological features, like lane departure warning and lan keeping assist, in favor of a vehicle that uses the nicest materials and simply evokes an emotional response from them.

By focusing too much on technology, Acura has become a bit of a robot in the luxury world. Their cars don't evoke strong emotions, they seem like a nice package with every technological goody possible packed inside. Maybe that appeals to some, but I think that the way into the luxury buyer's pocketbook is through their heart and not through dazzling technology.

It also seems that Acura hasn't learned from its past mistakes. It continues to present the same thing to consumers, while it claims that it is new and different. Repeatedly Acura has missed the mark when it comes to connecting with luxury buyers where it counts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
fortunately it's an acura which is known for reliability, luxury, etc, pretty much the best trouble free affordable luxury and that reputation alone might leave people to overlook many things

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think you have it a little backwards. Technology leads the sharp end of the luxury stick because its exclusive and expensive. So no Acura has not conflated luxury with technology erroneously. The fact that Teslas are the wealthy vehicle of choice validates that as they are clearly the pinnacle of technology ATM, baring racing machines of course. Teslas are actually not the nicest in terms of sumptuous materials or soul stirring engagement, their offer is purely technological and its being gobbled up.

Acuras problem is they're not offering technology that is functionally better than rivals. Perhaps paws is their single unique attribute, but even that is more gimmicky than functional.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its mostly the technologies that start to drive the car for you that are the problem. Those aren't the technologies that make luxury IMO. It might not be the worst thing, but its not the way to bring back Acura from the brink.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I think its mostly the technologies that start to drive the car for you that are the problem. Those aren't the technologies that make luxury IMO. It might not be the worst thing, but its not the way to bring back Acura from the brink.
but again those are all features that their rivals are offering, clearly they are in demand from luxury shoppers. Thats the problem, Acura doesn't do anything better than anyone else. They can't even out tech Honda which is the real problem. Honda wants to debut all new tech on Honda vehicles, leaving the Acuras looking like a joke compared to their pedestrian overlords...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Acura puts its emphasis on technology, whereas with the other brands that is just one part of the total luxury package. In the end, I don't think that technology is really enough to pull in buyers. Technology may not be Acura's weak point, but they can't expect it to make up for their short comings in other areas.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Acura puts its emphasis on technology, whereas with the other brands that is just one part of the total luxury package. In the end, I don't think that technology is really enough to pull in buyers. Technology may not be Acura's weak point, but they can't expect it to make up for their short comings in other areas.
Not true one bit. Audis slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, which means advancement through technology. Their entire company ethos is based around technology...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I would have to agree with this assessment. I just really don't understand what it is that Acura is trying to put on the table with their sedans right now.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Not true one bit. Audis slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, which means advancement through technology. Their entire company ethos is based around technology...
Audi brings a lot more to the game than just technology. They have some beastly engines, good luxury refinement, and a selection of coupes to reel in the buyer. It would seem that they have their target audience figured out where Acura is blindly fishing for what they want to be.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That might be part of the problem. Acura doesn't know exactly what its customers are looking for. At least not in the same way that BMW or Audi does. I think that Acura needs to think outside the box a bit. The NSX is really exciting but it seems like it will never come to market.

·
Registered
105 Posts
you guys do realize technology is more than flashing buttons to press and entertainment systems. Thats what Vorsprung durch Technik means to Audi. Do you think they keep winning Le Mans every year because their technology is a flash in the pan infotainment system or something equally absurd.

Technology directly refers to refining of engines for improved power and efficiency, technological breakthroughs in the form of construction, processes' and even tuning. Don't get short sighted by the definitions.

If OP would of said Acura mistakes Trinkets for Luxury then we could agree, but Technology is absolutely the cutting edge of luxury weather you like it or not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you guys do realize technology is more than flashing buttons to press and entertainment systems. Thats what Vorsprung durch Technik means to Audi. Do you think they keep winning Le Mans every year because their technology is a flash in the pan infotainment system or something equally absurd.

Technology directly refers to refining of engines for improved power and efficiency, technological breakthroughs in the form of construction, processes' and even tuning. Don't get short sighted by the definitions.

If OP would of said Acura mistakes Trinkets for Luxury then we could agree, but Technology is absolutely the cutting edge of luxury weather you like it or not.
Yet, that technology you are referring to has very little to do with the mainstream market success of the Audi brand, beyond the halo effect of it. What's so "Vorsprung durch Technik" about the A4, which constitutes the bulk of Audi's sales? It's mostly about looks and halo effect.

(Besides, "Vorsprung durch Technik" it's just a freaking marketing slogan.)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yet, that technology you are referring to has very little to do with the mainstream market success of the Audi brand, beyond the halo effect of it. What's so "Vorsprung durch Technik" about the A4, which constitutes the bulk of Audi's sales? It's mostly about looks and halo effect.

(Besides, "Vorsprung durch Technik" it's just a freaking marketing slogan.)

What's so Vorsprung durch Technik? well their entire modular platform setup was a superb technological break through in the way vehicles are put together. The modelling, planning and execution are all made possible by technology. Quattro itself is pure software, Audi's pioneering of LED and now Laser lighting... The LED's lighting on all Audi vehicles was first developed for Le Mans as are the upcoming Laser lights. Hybrid powertrain research from Le Mans has gone into their new e-Tron range, not to mention the advancement in clean diesel tech pioneered by the old TDI cars from years back.

And if you choose to disagree with that then I don't see how you can criticise Acura and leave Audi unscathed. Because essentially then you are saying Audi is better at marketing...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts

I reluctantly have to agree with that. The TLX has a few items that are definitely more than flash and baubles, and is the reason I am following this car closely. Putting a digital direct injection on a J35 series block is extremely interesting. It is cutting edge from the way they are going about it, and presents some tricky engineering issues that may or may not eventually work. Acura is working very hard to make it "mod proof" to protect the programming in this engine. Also, the double clutch 8 speed coupled to the 4 cylinder version has proved to be a real problem. Almost nightmarish in getting the programming bugs fixed since it is coupled with a torque converter. Acura expects this to be the volume seller, and wants to get everything ironed out before it gets released.

Then there is the 9 speed on the V6 version.

I know this because I have been around Acura forums for a very long time, and have more than a few inside sources. Acura is being extremely secretive on inside information. Uncharacteristically so in this case. The point is, these two drive train options are, while deeply disappointing in specifications, incredibly high tech and if they can be made to work will really take auto design forward a great deal.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I reluctantly have to agree with that. The TLX has a few items that are definitely more than flash and baubles, and is the reason I am following this car closely. Putting a digital direct injection on a J35 series block is extremely interesting. It is cutting edge from the way they are going about it, and presents some tricky engineering issues that may or may not eventually work. Acura is working very hard to make it "mod proof" to protect the programming in this engine. Also, the double clutch 8 speed coupled to the 4 cylinder version has proved to be a real problem. Almost nightmarish in getting the programming bugs fixed since it is coupled with a torque converter. Acura expects this to be the volume seller, and wants to get everything ironed out before it gets released.

Then there is the 9 speed on the V6 version.

I know this because I have been around Acura forums for a very long time, and have more than a few inside sources. Acura is being extremely secretive on inside information. Uncharacteristically so in this case. The point is, these two drive train options are, while deeply disappointing in specifications, incredibly high tech and if they can be made to work will really take auto design forward a great deal.
that's what i liked about acura they stayed high tech enough but i still think they can do more for it's loyalists and people that once loved the brand

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
that's what i liked about acura they stayed high tech enough but i still think they can do more for it's loyalists and people that once loved the brand
I fear that this car, which has been pretty universally flamed in online comments and social media, is what Acura is betting the farm on.

Sure hope it works out.

·
Registered
727 Posts
likely they are, sadly, what we saw was a production model and all that's needed now is for production to start, orders to start and soon enough you'll see them. hopefully it's not going to be a flop

1 - 20 of 36 Posts