Acura TLX Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree that the 3 series is smaller but if you want handling, most (all?) auto journalists would say it is the better car vs TLX. 290 HP sounds better than 240 until you see that the 290 is achieved at higher RPMs. More important, Max torque of the TLX is similar to the 328 but it gets there at a whopping 4500 RPM. 328 gets there at 1250 so you feel that turbo kick in like right now. Combine that engine with 150lb lower weight plus superior handling and you have the 328 ranked #1 in entry-luxury cars. TLX is ranked #10.

http://m.caranddriver.com/acura/tlx

I am not a huge BMW fan, but I recognize engineering superiority. For me, the TLX is a good car but not great. ZF 9 speed and poor tires hold it back. In terms of value however, it stands out much better which it has to in order to be successful.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
I think a lot of the journalists drink the cool aid as well and I always take the reviews with a grain of salt until I see the cars in person I've been in a new 328 and as I've said before, I'd buy the TLX again in a heart beat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The 3 series rec'd no love from MT during the COTY testing.

To quote: "The king is dead".

BMW has in general lost it's way IMHO. They make uninteresting cars that are extremely expensive by any metric. Frankly, Mercedes is eating their lunch. The new 7 series is completely undressed by the S-class Merc.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The 3 series rec'd no love from MT during the COTY testing.

To quote: "The king is dead".

BMW has in general lost it's way IMHO. They make uninteresting cars that are extremely expensive by any metric. Frankly, Mercedes is eating their lunch. The new 7 series is completely undressed by the S-class Merc.
According to MotorTrend the new Jaguar XE S has dethroned the 335i and I doubt the 340i will change that.

https://youtu.be/-3YFTFLmcfk

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Has C&D EVER had anything bad to say about a BMW product though? They love Bimmers.

My neighbour has a 320 and Im pretty sure it has vinyl seating covers and steel wheels with fancy hubcaps. Such cachet!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Has C&D EVER had anything bad to say about a BMW product though? They love Bimmers.

My neighbour has a 320 and Im pretty sure it has vinyl seating covers and steel wheels with fancy hubcaps. Such cachet!
With the exception of the base model, every TLX comes with genuine leather seats. With BMW and Mercedes, you have to pay $2000 to get real leather. Audi however offers nappa leather standard on A6 and above.

·
Registered
979 Posts
lol when you subscribe to car and driver they should send you a powered by bmw sticker. it's the most biased car journalism you can read.

i have a few friends with 2015 bmw x-drives i should borrow my buddy's V6 TLX and put this into practice haha having drag/street (ahem in mexico lol) raced quite a bit over time i'd be very confident in the TLX winning.

·
Registered
992 Posts
lol when you subscribe to car and driver they should send you a powered by bmw sticker. it's the most biased car journalism you can read.

i have a few friends with 2015 bmw x-drives i should borrow my buddy's V6 TLX and put this into practice haha having drag/street (ahem in mexico lol) raced quite a bit over time i'd be very confident in the TLX winning.
I've had my TLX for 2 months now and I've floored it a total of 2 times when my friends wanted to see what it could do.

My friend last night commented his A4 was no where near it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
BMW is trying to lure in the large middle range market an that's what the 3/4/5 series is for. It does lower their brand in my eyes and it's hard for me to call them a luxury brand anymore.
Mercedes and BMW both have to offer lower entry models because of the changing market. All the luxury brands have more competition now due to the non luxury closing the gap with improving the offerings and upping the quality. That's a large market in the low to mid 30k range. Unfortunately though you'll find they'll still nickel and dime you with packages to get some of the things you get with the non luxury for several thousand less. However the person that wants the BMW and Mercedes badge may sacrifice a few of the features like ventilated seats and blind spot monitoring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my lifetime the only person that I care what they're thinking is....myself and I think its a luxury car.
Despite what some may say, every article that mentions Acura in a car review will refer to it as Hondas luxury division. That should say it if the writers refer to it as luxury. The ones that generally say the TLX is a fancy Accord probably never has driven or owned either.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Despite what some may say, every article that mentions Acura in a car review will refer to it as Hondas luxury division. That should say it if the writers refer to it as luxury. The ones that generally say the TLX is a fancy Accord probably never has driven or owned either.
To be fair, historically Acura's have just been fancier (sometimes just plain rebadged) Hondas. There is no way you can sit in an ILX and tell me it's luxury. The interior feels cheap, the car is rough and loud and crashes over uneven pavement, and honestly feels cheaper than a top-trim Civic. The TLX and current RDX is changing things and feeling more "luxury", but Acura still has a ways to go. I consider the brand to be "premium", maybe a step above Buick, but a step below Lexus, and right around Infiniti and Lincoln.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To be fair, historically Acura's have just been fancier (sometimes just plain rebadged) Hondas. There is no way you can sit in an ILX and tell me it's luxury. The interior feels cheap, the car is rough and loud and crashes over uneven pavement, and honestly feels cheaper than a top-trim Civic. The TLX and current RDX is changing things and feeling more "luxury", but Acura still has a ways to go. I consider the brand to be "premium", maybe a step above Buick, but a step below Lexus, and right around Infiniti and Lincoln.
Well looking at the Camry, Sonata, Altima, and Accord which all seem to dominate the roads for everyday sedans, the TLX while has a luxury look from certain angles can also blend in with the non premium brands. You take the spottier version of the new Camry and it too has the aggressive hood bumps and curves. The next generation TLX really should separate itself some and see about as bold of a change the 10th generation Accord has. I sometimes feel that some may not realize that it's considered a luxury brand.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts