Acura TLX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
How do we define a "luxury" car? Build quality, craftsmanship, materials used, options and features, badge on the hood, price point?

IMO a TLX is pretty luxurious (meeting my above points) for its price. More so then a similarly priced Euro anyway.

Personally, I never cared about a "luxury" badge in my buying decision -- I focused more on my experience with the car, tech, ride, etc.

As an alternative definition of a luxury car, one could also look to the names of folks working in "forums of interpretative dance". I've met dancers named Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, but never met a dancer named Acura
:)

I guess it boils down to what message you want to convey...

·
Registered
979 Posts
personally, i never cared about a "luxury" badge in my buying decision -- i focused more on my experience with the car, tech, ride, etc.

as an alternative definition of a luxury car, one could also look to the names of folks working in "forums of interpretative dance". I've met dancers named mercedes, lexus, porsche, but never met a dancer named acura
:)

i guess it boils down to what message you want to convey...
lol!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well... if you ALREADY had your Acura, and then everyone got one, how would you be "following the masses"..??
And I assumed you purchased the car because YOU like it.. yes? Then why would you then stop liking the car if more people bought it? Would your taste change proportionate to the number of TLXs being sold?

:D
Nope..Behind my statement I said LOL.. I was only joking. Since the age of 16 years old, I've only driven Honda and Acura. >:D

·
Registered
979 Posts
i'm opening a can of worms again.

on saturday night i had a date. picked her up and she loved the car. i never said anything about it, she brought it up. (bonus points lol)

we went to a fancy dinner down town at the trump hotel, they have valet parking so i can feel fancy for the night with my date. i pulled in behind a land rover, and there was a G-wagon infront of that. there was also a white aston martin parked right up front in the middle. well, didn't they MOVE the aston martin and put my TLX there, they stuck the land rover in the back and g-wagon in the corner.

then this morning, dropping my kid off to kindergarden, 4 separate parents who i don't know strike up a convo with me asking me every detail about the TLX. i swear Acura needs to cut me a cheque because i could have been a salesman. they were saying that they always noticed the TLX when i drop off my kid and every single one of them wanted one. another parent who drives a bmw M1 hated his car, and was saying that he will be going to price out a TLX. I let the parents get in it and check it out and they were very impressed and then shocked at how much i got it for when they asked.

and acura isn't a luxury brand? i beg to differ.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know about the TLX not being a luxury car - although the posters here are correct - it simply doesn't have the cachet of the other so-called luxury marques. In order to get a BMW with the same (or similar) features list, you're in a 530 series which goes into the upper 50's to low 60's. So, a TLX delivers the same luxe, although in a slightly smaller package than the BMW 530 series for about $15K less.

If you don't think $45K buys enough luxury, there's always the RLX Advanced at about $61.5K and if you really want to spend a lot of money on an Acura, try the RLX SH-AWD Hybrid (if you can find one) for almost $69K. That should put you into the Mercedes E class in terms of cost and exceed that of a BMW 530 series.

I love my Acura TLX more than my Lexus ES350. It's peppier, it's considerably sportier, drives better (the ES350 reminds me of an old GM land yacht) and costs a bit less for the same or similar feature list. In fact, I love it so well, my new 2015 TLX is my 5th TL(X) after having had 2 Legends!!!

Anyway, who really cares what other people think of my car. It works for me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Acura sedans were never compared to the Big 3 (German competitors) up until the TLX.

If the auto journalists have come to admit that the TLX competes with the Big 3, it means a lot since these people are very opinionated.

In two reviews, they said, it doesn't compete with the Lexus IS but the ES instead, but the ES doesn't offer AWD which makes the TLX a better buy. That's high praise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ZRZnqDB3Q

Even the ILX is being compared to the CLA and the A3. Now only if they offered SH-AWD in the ILX, it would increase the price but it would be a better contender since the competitors offer AWD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo9DiqFvAcU

But in general,yes Acura isn't considered a Tier 1 luxury brand and neither is Infiniti and I could care less. I refuse to pay $15,000 more for the badge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
a better question is how is a bmw 3 series a luxury car.
Lol. This is a great question. I live in Denver Colorado. The BMW 3 series is one of the most owned vehicles in my area. They may be from a luxury company but the amount that I see, they are not a true luxury car. Almost anyone with a job can afford one as long as it is a couple years old. I see probably about 50 BMW 3 series a week and maybe 2 BMW 7 Series. I drove a TLX and a RL in the past. Now I drive the TSX and the MDX. I would drive all of these cars over the 3 series BMW any day.

·
Registered
2 Posts

on saturday night i had a date. picked her up and she loved the car. i never said anything about it, she brought it up. (bonus points lol)

we went to a fancy dinner down town at the trump hotel, they have valet parking so i can feel fancy for the night with my date. i pulled in behind a land rover, and there was a G-wagon infront of that. there was also a white aston martin parked right up front in the middle. well, didn't they MOVE the aston martin and put my TLX there, they stuck the land rover in the back and g-wagon in the corner.

then this morning, dropping my kid off to kindergarden, 4 separate parents who i don't know strike up a convo with me asking me every detail about the TLX. i swear Acura needs to cut me a cheque because i could have been a salesman. they were saying that they always noticed the TLX when i drop off my kid and every single one of them wanted one. another parent who drives a bmw M1 hated his car, and was saying that he will be going to price out a TLX. I let the parents get in it and check it out and they were very impressed and then shocked at how much i got it for when they asked.

Well said.

·
Registered
992 Posts

America? I didn't like the food AT ALL. It was alright but nothing spectacular for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Luxury is associated with sumptuous or extravagant living. Acura comes close but until it has a high end exclusive model (hello NSX!) and the lowest model is much more than a re-badged Civic (ILX getting there), it will always be a "near luxury" brand. Face it, the fact that it has very good value does not make it luxurious. Walmart has very good value, do you consider that brand luxury? True top end "luxurious" people also want exclusivity; lower priced items tend to be not exclusive. The lower end German models are certainly more affordable in their less luxurious trim levels, and if you want luxury, you have to option up. But even the low end "near luxury" German models have something that Acura does not have enough of: cachet.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
When I see a low end 3 or a CLA (and there are tons of them around), the first thing I think of is someone trying to keep up the the Jones'. Cachet hardly comes to mind.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Luxury is associated with sumptuous or extravagant living. Acura comes close but until it has a high end exclusive model (hello NSX!) and the lowest model is much more than a re-badged Civic (ILX getting there), it will always be a "near luxury" brand. Face it, the fact that it has very good value does not make it luxurious. Walmart has very good value, do you consider that brand luxury? True top end "luxurious" people also want exclusivity; lower priced items tend to be not exclusive. The lower end German models are certainly more affordable in their less luxurious trim levels, and if you want luxury, you have to option up. But even the low end "near luxury" German models have something that Acura does not have enough of: cachet.
i get what you're saying. bmw and benz both have the exclusive models with their M package and AMG packages. however those are kind of out the window seeing as you can M-everything now. that badge kinda looses it's meaning when you can M package a 320i or something like that. all it means is that a $ sign comes with it, and of course people automatically associate $ with upper class/luxury, but it's all smoke and mirrors, almost like a rapper getting gold teeth because it's expensive, not because it looks good.

feature for feature and in the same class, there is not one thing that puts them ahead.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sure, there're a lot of low end German cars out there and for sure a lot of those buyers are chasing the Joneses. They probably wouldn't even notice a TLX because it has the wrong "badge". But the majority define the market and the minority become the niche. Therefore if they (majority) consider Acura as a less luxurious brand, it's much harder for Acura to change opinion. Which is why Acura needs the "halo" NSX badly. ****, I need an NSX badly!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Another thing, u r right that an M sport 320 is a joke, but spend a little more money and you get a 328i X drive which will out handle and out perform the TLX. The new C300 has an interior that is stunning and it also will out perform the TLX. So with the low end Germans, you can always trade up. I'm not even talking about 335's or C450's much less for true M's or AMG's.

With the TLX, where do you go? And that is why it is generally considered a lower tier.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Acura NSX will be good for brand but it falls into same trap as other Acuras, it is practical and sensible. Luxury and performance don't need to be those things. They are supposed to be extravagant. Not overly, but not afraid to be.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Another thing, u r right that an M sport 320 is a joke, but spend a little more money and you get a 328i X drive which will out handle and out perform the TLX. The new C300 has an interior that is stunning and it also will out perform the TLX. So with the low end Germans, you can always trade up. I'm not even talking about 335's or C450's much less for true M's or AMG's.

With the TLX, where do you go? And that is why it is generally considered a lower tier.
I don't know about the 328I x drive, my dad has one and i would pick a TLX over that car any day of the week..(even he would once he saw mine LOL) a 328I x-drive only has 241hp where the TLX has 290hp. the SH-AWD is a much better awd system over the bmw however the TLX is a bigger car.

just priced out a TLX elite and a 328I x-drive with all the similar options etc. both decked out, both have skirt kits (m-sport package and optional wheels) the TLX came in at $53,500 and the bmw at $65,200. that's what happens when you make headlight squirters a $300 option.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't know about the 328I x drive, my dad has one and i would pick a TLX over that car any day of the week..(even he would once he saw mine LOL) a 328I x-drive only has 241hp where the TLX has 290hp. the SH-AWD is a much better awd system over the bmw however the TLX is a bigger car.

just priced out a TLX elite and a 328I x-drive with all the similar options etc. both decked out, both have skirt kits (m-sport package and optional wheels) the TLX came in at $53,500 and the bmw at $65,200. that's what happens when you make headlight squirters a $300 option.
Spot on. Exactly my thoughts. The 3 series is a SMALL car. Like really small. I felt cramped sitting in the driver's seat and I'm not even a big guy.

The TLX is spacious and comfortable.

TLX and 3 series are in the same class by the way.

·
Registered
979 Posts
you're right, the 3 series is a very small car. i loosely keep it in the same class as the TLX because of it's price point and well that's what BMW's choice market is for that car (with a starting price at $55k and a lesser 320i model)but it's more comparable to a civic. if honda offered the civic in a 4wd platform then it would be exactly like a civic. i'm not a big guy and there was more front interior room in my integra, in the three series i can have a gangster lean on (see lying down while driving) and my legs are still cramped.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts