Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ,

is it just me or how come to the public it seems that acuras are not represented as a luxury car? even when i was at the dealer and asked if this uses regular gas they some what got peeved and said no its luxury car it needs premium.
it does not jump out at people like woah he has a lexus or woah a mercedez or bmw.. the appeal is not there . the only people that truely appreciate the acuras is acura owners itself which i dont mind it drives great and the mpg is great also the price was great too

·
Registered
93 Posts
Name branding, somehow BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc.. have that Luxury appeal. Maybe it's Acura's closeness to Honda and the lower price point gives it that upgraded Honda stigma? Everyone I showed my TLX too has said wow and commented on how great it looks.

But you said it best in your OP, "the only people that truely appreciate the acuras is acura owners itself".

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
With MB and BMW offering very low rent and cheap version of the CLA and 3, those cars are hardly something I would think of as a luxury car. At those price points, people are leasing them to "keep up with the Jones's" and/or impress their middle class friends.

Whats a better purchase, a $45k loaded TLX or a low-end Bimmer?

Maybe in some more affluent areas, an Acura might not seem like much, but Honda and Acura as a whole is a far better company then most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hello ,

is it just me or how come to the public it seems that acuras are not represented as a luxury car? even when i was at the dealer and asked if this uses regular gas they some what got peeved and said no its luxury car it needs premium.
it does not jump out at people like woah he has a lexus or woah a mercedez or bmw.. the appeal is not there . the only people that truely appreciate the acuras is acura owners itself which i dont mind it drives great and the mpg is great also the price was great too
Premium gas has nothing to do with whether a car is a luxury car or not. It's related to the compression ratio the engine manufacturer chooses for the engine. Acura's are designed for high compression, therefore they require premium gas. Paying more for gas is nothing to boast about since rich people are cheap and complain about paying more for gas (but can easily afford the difference in price).

Acura is a luxury brand. Wiki has a lot of good information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura

Acura helped inspire the creation of Lexus and Infiniti:

"Since its inception, Acura has been a trailblazer in the automotive industry. In the late 1980s, the success of the company's first flagship vehicle, the Legend, inspired fellow Japanese automakers Toyota and Nissan to launch their own luxury brands, Lexus and Infiniti, respectively. "

What did Acura offer that European cars didn't offer?:

"The 1990 launch of the NSX, a mid-engine exotic sports car, offered a reliable and practical alternative to exotic European sports cars, and introduced Honda's VTEC variable valve timing system to the North American market."

If you ask me, Acura accomplished a lot in the luxury sedan market.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I personally never did see the Acura as a Luxury car... what I did appreciate was the reliability AND the understatement it makes with a nip and tuck above a Honda.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Acura never really struck me as a luxury brand either but something right under. MB and BMW may join Acura with their lower price point models and I rank Lexus as one of the top Luxury brands not including luxury imports.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's all in the eye of the beholder. Some people may not see it as as luxurious as some other brands. I think the bigger question is whether you care more about what you think of the vehicle, or what other people think of the vehicle.

·
Registered
191 Posts
In Europe, I never thinked about BMW, Volkswagen or Audi being luxury cars... Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and a few others are "Luxury" cars for me.
BMW, Audi are flagged in my mind "high quality German cars" (for me, Mexican made BMW are not as reliable as European ones - but it is only a personal taste between continents).
Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are in my mind flagged "high quality Japanese cars". On top of Japanese cars that are, for me, the most reliable cars.
Maybe it is the price of some cars that make them seems "luxury", and not the feeling of the car (materials, driving taste,...).

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
How do we define a "luxury" car? Build quality, craftsmanship, materials used, options and features, badge on the hood, price point?

IMO a TLX is pretty luxurious (meeting my above points) for its price. More so then a similarly priced Euro anyway.

·
Registered
191 Posts
TBH in my mind I can agree Acura as luxury. But not BMW 3/4/5 series... they compare more to Mazda cars (I was very surprised to see in the new BMW3 a dash similar to the one in Mazda3 ...)

·
Registered
144 Posts
BMW is trying to lure in the large middle range market an that's what the 3/4/5 series is for. It does lower their brand in my eyes and it's hard for me to call them a luxury brand anymore.

·
Registered
727 Posts
BMW is trying to lure in the large middle range market an that's what the 3/4/5 series is for. It does lower their brand in my eyes and it's hard for me to call them a luxury brand anymore.
Seems like they're targeting just about every segment too, the 2 series is apparently going to be available as a sedan, surprising moves from them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think that luxury is almost more associated with the brand than the model.
Exactly. That's why some people just HAVE to have a MB, BMW, Audi, etc.

I think all of us can agree that we like our Acura's because you get all the luxury flavor and benefits without the luxury price. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I may be wrong but luxury cars base their prices off the materials used on the car. Acura is definitely a luxury brand but its just a bit lower then lexus or infiniti. It also has a different feel to it. Its like a younger feel to the design and materials. The acuras and hondas are mod friendly. You can take a tlx, mod the crap out of it and nobody will say a thing. You mod a gs350 and people will think you are goofy. But yea, thats why Im starting to dig acuras. Its luxury for younger minded guys. Not neccesarily a bad thing. Just different style.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts