Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this being my first Acura, its my first experience with the infamous beak grill Acuras uses. I actually dont think its as bad as many people think. BUT, I do think it looks much better colour matched or even blacked out.

So, Im getting mine done this weekend. End result should look like this,

·
Registered
666 Posts
There is a warning about not messing with the beak as the radar unit for the ACC/CMBS sits behind it. Wrapping it could affect their operation.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
It would be interesting to see a wider shot. It reminds me of when I was a kid and put tooth black on my teeth to look like I lost some teeth. :D

Maybe it looks better from further back?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks are subjective of course, but I think it looks better.

Not my actual car either.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think it looks good blacked out but also in the original finish.
Acura have toned it done over the last 5 years, I hated that robot chicken beak on the 2010 TL's for example! glad they aren't that size anymore!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Blacking it out how you did does indeed help.
What would be interesting is seeing how it would look in the same white your TLX is in, color matched, as you said.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colour matched would look good too I think. Matching the paint might be tough. Might be a project for the winter.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
It doesn't look too bad when you step back and take a look at the entire car.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Blacked out look does look very nice. The regular chrome doesn't look bad usually though. I think it can look a little weird when matched with a silver exterior paint color. Then its just too much silver.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont mind the chrome look as this grill isnt as bad as some other Acurs products. Just maybe trying to be different and I think it looks a bit more aggressive black. Its going to be a gloss black to match the grill trill.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's a smart look. Viewed from the right angle the badge would appear as though it were suspended without anchor.

Reactions: MikeinEDH

·
Registered
260 Posts
It might even look good if you added some LED lighting to light up the emblem like they do on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. With the black background it could make it look real nice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think it looks great on the Bellanova White. In my case, it might be better in body color. I say that because I'm becoming less of a fan of my stock rims that contain a lot of black with a bit of chrome. Don't know that I'd appreciate that on the front of the car.
Now, where's that Photoshop thing.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think it looks great on the Bellanova White. In my case, it might be better in body color. I say that because I'm becoming less of a fan of my stock rims that contain a lot of black with a bit of chrome. Don't know that I'd appreciate that on the front of the car.
I'm liking the black on my rims 'cuz it hides the brake dust until I can get to it...

I'm busy,not lazy...

Reactions: MikeinEDH

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that a wrap?
Can you outline what type of material they used? Was it done at a tint shop or body shop?
It will be a vinyl wrap. Using a shop local to me that was recommend by a friend who has had graphics applied to his show cars before. $100 and it's being done on Saturday.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So what kind of rims do you think you would like better instead?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts