Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone else find the Acura grille pretty ugly? I looks like a shield to me. With the Acura badge I think they could have derived something a lot more interesting than a big metal plate.

I think it could do wonders for the look of Acura's vehicles if they decided to revamp the grille design.

This Acura grille looks a bit nicer to me.

And plenty of places do custom Acura grille because people know the standard is so ugly. (below pics)

From the modified grilles above you can see that it would not be that hard for Acura to do something that looked much nicer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i always favored black Acura's with a black front grille with the badge left in chrome, best look and cleanist look. i plan to do this on the TLX if it doesn't look good when stock

·
Registered
339 Posts
Acura needs to get the TL grill right this time over.

They really took it too far for the first iteration of the 4th generation.

The grill was just out of this world.

They made it look a bit better on the revamp but I personally think Acura should take a look at what make the grill work on the 3rd gen and try to make it similar but more updated towards the newer Acura design language

·
Registered
317 Posts
honda just announced a new grille design, not sure if this will change anything at acura but it's some change, we'll see what happens in the future

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be nice to not have to worry about getting a different grille from the standard. Really I would prefer to have a grille on the vehicle that I just like and don't have to change. Hopefully, Acura takes to heart the public reaction to the last grille and makes some changes so that it is better received.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are going to spend extra money on changing the grille after you buy, you might just want to buy a different car and save the time and effort. Unless you are into customizing the car anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it will have to depend on how ugly it turns out. I personally never had a big problem with it but it didn't impress me either. I hate making these changes myself. I am the type to buy it and keep it the way it is for the most part.

·
Registered
260 Posts
it will have to depend on how ugly it turns out. I personally never had a big problem with it but it didn't impress me either. I hate making these changes myself. I am the type to buy it and keep it the way it is for the most part.
Not worth the hassle in my opinion. By the time you spend the extra time and money on making the change you could have just bought yourself something that you like from the beginning.

·
Registered
339 Posts
the new grills for 2013 are not bad. they are growing on alot of people. it's the grills from 2009-2011 that bothered people.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the new grills for 2013 are not bad. they are growing on alot of people. it's the grills from 2009-2011 that bothered people.
I just don't think its the type of "growing on people" that doesn't stem from people not knowing they like it yet, and its more the type of "growing on people" that comes from trying to like something that you really don't. Whether or not you think the Acura grille is ugly or not, I maintain that it could be better.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm going to disagree fully. The NSX smashes the argument. I think NSX is going to kick off a new design language for the company.

already the ILX is wearing a much smaller grill...

I'm hoping the TLX will come through with a sleeker grill reminiscent of the new NSX

·
Registered
339 Posts
The NSX grill isn't sleek. Its one of the largest of the Acura family. It works because of the body line.

The TL grill has already shrunk in 2011+ models

It's only the 2009-2010 models that have the huge grill.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The NSX grill isn't sleek. Its one of the largest of the Acura family. It works because of the body line.

The TL grill has already shrunk in 2011+ models

It's only the 2009-2010 models that have the huge grill.
So what you're saying is this

is sleeker than this...

maybe if you measure sleek by width. I dont measure sleek, its a characteristic meaning integration with the design. The NSX grill is sleek, look how the headlights flow into the acura bar. The TL's grill is jangled and out of place, like an unintelligent smile.

I doubt TLX gets anything better, the new Accord is vomit inducing..

·
Registered
727 Posts

is sleeker than this...

maybe if you measure sleek by width. I dont measure sleek, its a characteristic meaning integration with the design. The NSX grill is sleek, look how the headlights flow into the acura bar. The TL's grill is jangled and out of place, like an unintelligent smile.

How the NSX front end grille is designed and how it ties into the rest of the front end design is what they should do to the rest of the vehicles they have, it would improve them by a lot.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While I don't like the Acura grille generally (that's why I started the thread) I do think that the NSX grille looks really nice. I agree that the way the grille flows into the headlights makes it much nicer. I also think that putting the badge on the hood instead of int the middle of the grille makes a difference. If Acura uses the NSX grille as a starting point for the design of other grille then they may be able to convert me.

·
Registered
339 Posts

is sleeker than this...

I refer to sleek as in it doesnt stand out.

The NSX grill does stand out.

It works well because of the shape of the car but that doesn't mean the grill doesnt stand out.

The TL grill has gotten alot better since 2009-2010. To be honest it kind of just looks like a camry now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.