Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets take a look at how the TL has done over the years

There is no doubt that in 2004 when the 3rd generation TL was introduced it was a very popular model. It became less competitive as the years gone by and sales started to drop.

The refresh in 2009 only made it worse as the entire world hated the design of the new TL.

And as you can see.. recovery has not been great.

Alot is resting on the 5th generation TL. It is very important for the new generation TL to be the great value and styling that the 3rd generation was back then.

Here is how the TL compares to the competition in the midsized luxury segment

·
Registered
727 Posts
The decline in sales over the years is crazy going form 2003 to 2013.
I know why it's like this. Over the years the TL has failed to keep up with the rest of it's segment with other brands offer more value and features in it's car over Acura. It's usually the people that are loyal to Acura or to a brand that will keep on buying from them and not go elsewhere.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. In 2004 with the announcement of the 3g TL it was unparalleled in terms of value.

Excellent safety ratings, and many luxury features standard which at the time were not. Fast forward to 2013.. The TL offers much less value compared to the competition. Acura needs to step up their game in the TLX and reclaim the throne as the best selling sedan.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Agreed. In 2004 with the announcement of the 3g TL it was unparalleled in terms of value.

Excellent safety ratings, and many luxury features standard which at the time were not. Fast forward to 2013.. The TL offers much less value compared to the competition. Acura needs to step up their game in the TLX and reclaim the throne as the best selling sedan.
The 3G TL is IMO where the TL's peak out and offer best value for your money, since they can be bought used for a great price.
The new TL SH-AWD models are great but too bad when new they don't get much attention, as more hit the used car market and get cheaper people will love them more. Pricing means A LOT.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 3G TL is IMO where the TL's peak out and offer best value for your money, since they can be bought used for a great price.
The new TL SH-AWD models are great but too bad when new they don't get much attention, as more hit the used car market and get cheaper people will love them more. Pricing means A LOT.
pricing does mean alot. the TL SHAWD is a great car. Many people choose to skip it simply because of styling.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The thing about the used market is there is a stigma attached to it. Many people, especially the pseudo luxury shoppers, buy for image. What an image dismemberment if people were to see them driving a car not completely brand new.

I'm not saying its right, its simply psychology of diseased minds. I think a good question for us is where have the old TL buyers gotten to? I have a feeling many of them have jumped ship to the ATS... We'll see if TLX can pull people back in...

·
Registered
727 Posts
The thing about the used market is there is a stigma attached to it. Many people, especially the pseudo luxury shoppers, buy for image. What an image dismemberment if people were to see them driving a car not completely brand new.

I'm not saying its right, its simply psychology of diseased minds. I think a good question for us is where have the old TL buyers gotten to? I have a feeling many of them have jumped ship to the ATS... We'll see if TLX can pull people back in...
I find not many people who buy Acura's are like that. Acura is at the bottom of the luxury car market, which isn't a bad thing, just that it's not seen to be as "balling" to own as say a BMW or Benz.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't see Acura being happy with these sales numbers. The next generation of the TL has to step up its game. Even with a nice car, it will be difficult to overcome the reputation that Acura has as a lower end luxury brand. Although when you compare it to its competitors you see that it has sold a respectable amount of units even if it is less than last year.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I find not many people who buy Acura's are like that. Acura is at the bottom of the luxury car market, which isn't a bad thing, just that it's not seen to be as "balling" to own as say a BMW or Benz.
I will agree its not to the same degree as the German crowd, but that type of image thinking is pretty prevalent across the auto industry. I'm not sure if its natural or ingrained.

Back to the topic however, where do you think TLX is going to pull its sales from? I mean current numbers are pitiful, do you think they can steal from Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus et all or will they simply be pulling people from upscale toyotas and hondas?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I will agree its not to the same degree as the German crowd, but that type of image thinking is pretty prevalent across the auto industry. I'm not sure if its natural or ingrained.

Back to the topic however, where do you think TLX is going to pull its sales from? I mean current numbers are pitiful, do you think they can steal from Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus et all or will they simply be pulling people from upscale toyotas and hondas?
This replaces the TSX and TL, not sure what TSX sales are like but chances are it's much better than the TL. A lot of sales will come from people loyal to the brand that want a mid-sized affordable luxury sedan. They might be able to attract some new customers with the TLX.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
most previous TL drivers have likely moved to Lexus or to the german brands as an upgrade.

the 4th generation TL failed to impress many. and sales show.

Acura is going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they want to bring attention to the TLX.

Because what they did for the ILX and RLX didn't really work that well. It did increase sales... But by a small fraction.

·
Registered
222 Posts
most previous TL drivers have likely moved to Lexus or to the german brands as an upgrade.

the 4th generation TL failed to impress many. and sales show.

Acura is going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat if they want to bring attention to the TLX.

Because what they did for the ILX and RLX didn't really work that well. It did increase sales... But by a small fraction.
It sucks that the ILX and RLX didn't do much for them when it comes to sales, they didn't even do much to those cars, nothing that made them stand out. Maybe they might save these cars with a mid-cycle refresh?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unless they do something drastic mid cycle I don't see sales skyrocketing

They are both great cars.

Its just for the price people are getting near other cars that might have a greater overall appeal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If Aura really wants to get back into the sales game they need to focus on sub-prime buyers. Ture luxury shoppers will not even look at Acura so why not sell to the crowd playing rich?

Just look at the ramp in Auto Loans and tell me Acura isn't missing out ;)

From Bloomberg:

Auto-loan debt held by U.S. consumers has swelled (pdf) to $845 million, the highest level on record since the Federal Reserve started tallying car loans in 1999.

In the past quarter alone, total vehicle loans increased almost 4 percent, or $31 billion
I'd say that about equal to 1 Million TLX's ;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Crazy stats, making a trim of the TLX low enough and priced within a range that works for the middle-class folks will help, they can really use some incentive's, low financing rates, and all the other good stuff to get people to sign off on it all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.