Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is bit of a ramble, but I feel compelled to share.

There was a freak and unexpected weather blast this evening in metro Toronto and surrounding areas and it gave me a chance to appreciate the qualities of the car.

The roads have been dry for the last two weeks so there was a buildup of grease and this combined with freezing temperatures and snow flurries created havoc on the highways and roads. In less than a 10km stretch there were a dozen incidents in my direction and the first responders were fire trucks and ambulances. I lost count on how many I saw, but all the fire stations in the area would have been busy.

The good news was my FWD with winter tires handled beautifully. In fact driving was a pleasure:
- temperature set at 24C and seat warmers working automatically
- heated windshield prevented any accumulation of snow/ice
- periodic use of rear window defrost cleared to side view mirrors quickly
- wipers set to automatic kept the windshield clear (no adjustment or fiddling required)
- ACC with slow speed follow made crawling along painless
- voice command of "Display Traffic" was useful. At one point brought up six incidents in my route and read out the text (neat)
- ELS was piping out relaxing, embracing, clean sounds (ANC was active)
- traction on the roads was fine and it was easy to spot the few drivers with winter tires, the rest just get the **** off the road! I love taking off into the wide open snow lanes that other avoid.

One of the incidents was a tractor trailer with the trailer in the express lanes and the cab in the collector lanes straddling the 2' concrete barrier. It must have crashed through. Likely due some lame brained driver with poor tires.

At a stoplight close to home facing a slight to moderate grade, there was a C-class 4Matic beside me. When the lights changed I took off. Traction control did kick in at some point but it was very disciplined. The car kept going a straight line. The C-class looked like it was still on All Season tires, and maybe it is still trying to negotiate that grade.

Come on guys, if you live in a winter area and are going to be driving then put on some **** winter tires. I am betting that all the incidents were due to vehicles still on summer or All Season tires.

Did I mention how much I enjoy and appreciate this car and its fine features. In these conditions I did not need SH-AWD.;)

ps. This site automatically replaces my expletives with ****, cool.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Glad you had the positive experience with the new car. RWD in winter climates is just painful to watch and FWD certainly has advantages in all but ideal conditions. Maybe the engineers at Acura knew what they were doing afterall, good job boys.

I'm sure at some point this winter we will all encounter the issues you witnessed but hopefully having the right tires on the right vehicle will keep us safe. Good rant.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
This is bit of a ramble, but I feel compelled to share.

Did I mention how much I enjoy and appreciate this car and its fine features. In these conditions I did not need SH-AWD.;)

ps. This site automatically replaces my expletives with ****, cool.
Nice review. Glad you're enjoying your TLX.:)

I didn't know about the expletives. That is cool. I need to go back and check where I said bassackwards to see how sensitive it is. :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice!! Have a question about this : "ACC with slow speed follow made crawling along painless" . I thought this was a feature with the advance package which is not available on V4 FWD Models. Is this not true for Canadian models?

·
Registered
423 Posts
In Canada we have the Elite (US Advance) package on the V6 FWD, TLX2014 is in the V6 I think not V4, but your right that we don't have that package either on the V4's.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, as my tag line says V6 Elite PAWS. Some of the features are only on the Advance/Elite models and others are unique to Canada. I think there is a posting somewhere about the differences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.