Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m considering purchasing a new TLX with the 3.5 liter V6 auto 9 speed and AWD. I did a short test drive and was impressed enough to start researching the car. I am planning to do a more extended test drive using the various driving modes to get a better idea of the car’s performance. In reviews I’ve read it seems to be regarded as sort of a poor cousin in the BMW 328/Audi A4/Mercedes C class league.

But in my searching around I came across a number of complaints regarding sluggish/jerky shifting. I didn’t notice that in my test drive but a lot of that was highway driving. From what I’ve learned this transmission was developed by ZF of Germany but is built by Honda. The same transmission is used by Jeep (I don’t know who builds the gear boxes for Jeep) in several of their vehicles and there are plenty of unhappy Jeep owners. I expect the installed base of Jeeps is quite a bit larger since Jeep has been using the transmission longer. Jeep has released some software updates to address this problem. I’m guessing this a re-flash of the transmission control module programmable memory. But after the re-flash those owners complain of different problems. So it doesn’t seem like they’ve really fixed the problem. I don’t believe that Acura has released a software update.

So I’m trying to figure out how much of a problem this is and whether there is a real fix for it. I’m not looking to play transmission roulette.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Welcome BikerBill. It's great that you're researching with people who actually drive the car.

I'm happy to report that in my first two weeks with the car I have had no symptoms of what some of the others are experiencing. It shifts very smooth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I’m considering purchasing a new TLX with the 3.5 liter V6 auto 9 speed and AWD. I did a short test drive and was impressed enough to start researching the car. I am planning to do a more extended test drive using the various driving modes to get a better idea of the car’s performance. In reviews I’ve read it seems to be regarded as sort of a poor cousin in the BMW 328/Audi A4/Mercedes C class league.

But in my searching around I came across a number of complaints regarding sluggish/jerky shifting. I didn’t notice that in my test drive but a lot of that was highway driving. From what I’ve learned this transmission was developed by ZF of Germany but is built by Honda. The same transmission is used by Jeep (I don’t know who builds the gear boxes for Jeep) in several of their vehicles and there are plenty of unhappy Jeep owners. I expect the installed base of Jeeps is quite a bit larger since Jeep has been using the transmission longer. Jeep has released some software updates to address this problem. I’m guessing this a re-flash of the transmission control module programmable memory. But after the re-flash those owners complain of different problems. So it doesn’t seem like they’ve really fixed the problem. I don’t believe that Acura has released a software update.

So I’m trying to figure out how much of a problem this is and whether there is a real fix for it. I’m not looking to play transmission roulette.
Welcome to the forum. I have the V6 FWD Advance that I took delivery on in mid February. So far most of my driving with it has been local in town driving with an occasional highway road trip thrown in. So far I have not experienced any issues with the transmission. Of the four IDS settings I have only used two - NORMAL and SPORT. SPORT has a little more get up and go to it from stop and I find that the transition between gears seems to be smoother in that mode. The shifting in this TLX seems to be smoother than the shifting in my previous 2012 TSX. Thus far I have no complaints and look for any excuse to hop in the car and go for a spin. :)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The initial batches of the TLX might have had some real issues, but they should have been addressed with the recall.

Ive had my car for about 2 weeks now and Ive read some complaints about harsh or or similar complaints on how the tranny shifts, but I have no complaints. The tranny being 8/9 speeds, it does do alot of shifting compared to a 5/6 speed that many people might be accustomed to.

It also sifts very differently in the various IDS modes. I find it very slow and unresponsive in Eco or Normal. Sport is a nice comprimise without any slow shifts or overly aggressive ones. Sport+ holds the gears much longer before the upshift and that shift is typically very quick and abrupt. It also rev matches and blips the throttle on the down shift, so it can be kind of aggressive at times.

Ive found driving appropriately for the IDS mode makes for the best overall driving experience. Meaning, dont drive like a granny in Sport+ or dont beat on it in Eco.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I’m considering purchasing a new TLX with the 3.5 liter V6 auto 9 speed and AWD.
[Edited for clarity]
I’m not looking to play transmission roulette.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first posts.

Definitely do your research and then decide if you want a TLX.

I am also one of the lucky ones with no outstanding issues. I enjoy driving the car everyday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The initial batches of the TLX might have had some real issues, but they should have been addressed with the recall.

Ive had my car for about 2 weeks now and Ive read some complaints about harsh or or similar complaints on how the tranny shifts, but I have no complaints. The tranny being 8/9 speeds, it does do alot of shifting compared to a 5/6 speed that many people might be accustomed to.

It also sifts very differently in the various IDS modes. I find it very slow and unresponsive in Eco or Normal. Sport is a nice comprimise without any slow shifts or overly aggressive ones. Sport+ holds the gears much longer before the upshift and that shift is typically very quick and abrupt. It also rev matches and blips the throttle on the down shift, so it can be kind of aggressive at times.

Ive found driving appropriately for the IDS mode makes for the best overall driving experience. Meaning, dont drive like a granny in Sport+ or dont beat on it in Eco.
I wholeheartedly agree with MTD. I have had my SH-AWD Advance since February and have had no issues.
PleasantRidger

·
Registered
12 Posts

You should ask the dealer for an overnight test drive. that's what I did and was able to drive it around my neighborhood and get stuck in traffic etc etc.
I owned a 06 lexus GS300 before, the tlx shifts harder than the lexus. BUT.... its also WAY more fun to drive. Ive had mine for three weeks now and there is nothing to write home about in the complaint department. The car behaves exactly like my test drive, so i have no reason to complain. the BEST/WORST thing you can do is read these forums before buying a car, lots of info which is great, but its also a destination for people to complain. I know, as I had a similar post 3-4 weeks ago where a lot of members helped me off the ledge.
in my opinion, this car has it all. luxurious, fast, quiet and full of great technology that i couldn't imagine living without. I feel like every feature is at my fingertips (literally)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Agreed. The longer the test drive the better. I didnt do an over night, but I drove 2 different cars each for a few hours, stop and go city, highway, rural.

ichurch, Im in Burl all the time. Ill wave and any TLX's I see. They are real rare here in Hamilton.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for checking in.

Count me in with the crowd that "never had a problem, but sure feels sorry for those that have reported them, and sure hopes that they never happen to me if I do an upgrade"...

My car has been great. I do have to get the inspection related to the parking pawl recall, but do not anticipate any problems.

As someone said, above, reading these forums can really spook you. It can be hard to separate the noise from the trolls from the real issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took delivery of my SHAWD TLX in early March, and I've had no complaints at all. The transmission shifts smooth, but there's a sportiness about it that I really like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had my SH-AWD Advance for a couple of months now. My only issue with the car is how often it forces me to turn a three mile errand into a 20 drive through the hills to get home. The Advance trim features are worth every penny to me.

I drive mostly in Econ mode to keep myself out of trouble. Econ is fine for around town and it still has plenty of power if I need it. I use Sport mode if I want extra responsiveness or want to be aggressive in the curves. In any IDS mode you can reach 100 mph in pretty short order, and it certainly feels a lot more stable at that speed than my wife's Avalon.

I can feel the shift into 3rd gear, but is's not objectionable to me. The older Cadillac I traded in for the TLX used to hammer me on its final shift into Drive. The TLX is much smoother.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I know what you mean!

I find myself planning out specific roads that makes the SH-AWD system light up like a dog getting told it's going to go for a walk :D

It helps to find THOSE roads

1 - 13 of 13 Posts