Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 8 months into my TLX experience and still have noticeably hard shifts between 1-2 and 2-3 (especially the latter). My passenger's heads will jerk back in even modest accelerations when I hit third gear. I have mentioned this twice to my service manager and he has said both times that this is normal TLX performance. I think it is a "little" better when driving cold, but the bad behavior quickly comes back every time. I have not noticed any improvement or decline in this since day one.

Just last week a good friend purchased an identical TLX to mine (6 cyl, 9 spd) and I asked him how it shifted. He immeidiately said, Oh my gosh, I was going to ask you if my experience was normal! His shifts exactly the same way.

It's been about three months since I was at my dealer last and maybe they have more history/complaints now and might have a different response?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I am 8 months into my TLX experience and still have noticeably hard shifts between 1-2 and 2-3 (especially the latter). My passenger's heads will jerk back in even modest accelerations when I hit third gear. I have mentioned this twice to my service manager and he has said both times that this is normal TLX performance. I think it is a "little" better when driving cold, but the bad behavior quickly comes back every time. I have not noticed any improvement or decline in this since day one.

Just last week a good friend purchased an identical TLX to mine (6 cyl, 9 spd) and I asked him how it shifted. He immeidiately said, Oh my gosh, I was going to ask you if my experience was normal! His shifts exactly the same way.

It's been about three months since I was at my dealer last and maybe they have more history/complaints now and might have a different response?
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you made your first post. :)

Too bad we didn't hear from you sooner. Hopefully you have experienced some good times with your TLX.

Please tell us more about your TLX experience and maybe a bit about yourself.

·
Registered
274 Posts

BCarter: I have had my 9 Speed TLX since December. I have had it back to the dealer 4 times for the poor shifting. The service manager kept telling me that Acura was well aware of the issue and that they were continuing to work on a solution. That was a month ago. Don't let your service team tell you it is normal behavior: it is not.

I got tired of dealing with this issue. I have a lawyer involved now, in a suit. Hopefully this gets something accomplished. All I want is a fix to this issue, so that the transmission performs as a luxury car transmission should.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wes,
Thanks for the info, please keep us updated on any progress. I've had my TLX (9spd) since December also and have 3 main complaints:
- hard shift from 1-2, 2-3
- hesitation when going from R to D (more than a second delay after applying throttle) and then lunges forward
- hesitation (only occasionally) when coasting and applying throttle (similar feel to the above)

I'm due for my first service (I'm an hour from the dealership) and was looking for any suggestions in how to deal with the service manager.
thanks

·
Registered
666 Posts
As the saying goes you cannot squeeze blood out of stone. The dealership cannot provide with a fix they do not have. Register your situation and asked to be contacted when/if there is an update.

I am slightly surprised at seeing these complains during hot weather as now that it hot up here in the north the shift in my car is smooth with 5-10 minutes of driving, and have never experienced any hesitation. My first service is tomorrow and I have no issues to report.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wes, I hope your suit gets all the right attention and more importantly, results. I tell everyone that cares to listen that I love a lot of things about my TLX, but the drive train is such a let down that I can't imagine buying another Acura. The only thing that could change that would be a complete resolution from Acura, soon.

Did I hear correctly that Acura is putting a 9 speed, push button transmission in the 2016 MDX's? If it's the same transmission as the TLX, then clearly Acura hasn't gotten the message that there is something wrong here. Else they are going to be ticking off a whole other group of Acura customers.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
My first service is tomorrow and I have no issues to report.
Congratulations on your first service, especially without issues. It's good to hear some good news now and then. :)

How many miles have you put on your TLX? I just passed 15K on Monday.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wes, I hope your suit gets all the right attention and more importantly, results. I tell everyone that cares to listen that I love a lot of things about my TLX, but the drive train is such a let down that I can't imagine buying another Acura. The only thing that could change that would be a complete resolution from Acura, soon.

Did I hear correctly that Acura is putting a 9 speed, push button transmission in the 2016 MDX's? If it's the same transmission as the TLX, then clearly Acura hasn't gotten the message that there is something wrong here. Else they are going to be ticking off a whole other group of Acura customers.
I actually think that this could be a good thing in the sense that they are putting this transmission into one of their bread and butter vehicles, so they will be very motivated to be sure that they resolve any issues with its performance and long term reliability. The transmission issues (and throttle response lag) are why I am not in a TLX right now....waiting to see if they can resolve and maybe pull the trigger with a 2016. If not I am looking at Lexus or Honda (or RDX with traditional 6 speed auto).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I thought that they resolved the transmission issues at this point. Didn't realize that people were still experiencing problems.

Some people like those hard shifts. Make them feel like their car is more powerful.

Does Acura even say that there is a problem? Sounds like it just might be how the car drives.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Acura has not resolved the transmission issues with either of the models.

I really think that this is holding back some buyers. Everyone expects a few bugs in a new model, but many of us were burned by the bad transmissions in the older 2G TL and that is something that I do not want to repeat. I can deal with reflections of trim in the side window, but transmission complaints worry me.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ia.make=ACURA&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1977198

I have test driven many TLX cars in various configurations. The 8 speed DCT showed no problems when I drove it, but I know that many and not happy with jerkiness and gear searching. Most of my 9 speed test drives were good, but I found the lag to be very obvious (cruising at 50 and then punch accelerator to merge onto highway or pass......big delay). I also experienced the "lunge" forward as I approached a stop sign.....car shifted gears when I was rolling up at maybe 10 mph and car "lunged" forward (SH-AWD model). That was very uncomfortable and could be a big problem if unexpected and someone right in front of you. Many think that the issues can be resolved with software updates which is great to hear. As I said above, Acura should be very motivated to resolve both of these transmission issues. The 8 speed DCT is now in the ILX, and the 9 speed ZF unit is now in the MDX. Seems that they are counting on these to be around for at least a little while.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I really think that this is holding back some buyers. Everyone expects a few bugs in a new model, but many of us were burned by the bad transmissions in the older 2G TL and that is something that I do not want to repeat. I can deal with reflections of trim in the side window, but transmission complaints worry me.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...ia.make=ACURA&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1977198

I have test driven many TLX cars in various configurations. The 8 speed DCT showed no problems when I drove it, but I know that many and not happy with jerkiness and gear searching. Most of my 9 speed test drives were good, but I found the lag to be very obvious (cruising at 50 and then punch accelerator to merge onto highway or pass......big delay). I also experienced the "lunge" forward as I approached a stop sign.....car shifted gears when I was rolling up at maybe 10 mph and car "lunged" forward (SH-AWD model). That was very uncomfortable and could be a big problem if unexpected and someone right in front of you. Many think that the issues can be resolved with software updates which is great to hear. As I said above, Acura should be very motivated to resolve both of these transmission issues. The 8 speed DCT is now in the ILX, and the 9 speed ZF unit is now in the MDX. Seems that they are counting on these to be around for at least a little while.
Funny, you are coming from where I was coming from.

Wifes car is an 03 TL (i.e. 2nd gen). We lost the original trans. at 65K miles....car now has 123K miles and is showing its age (suspension, axles, etc). Searching for a replacement, the TLX was on the short list because aside from the transmission, tires and brakes, we've done very very little to our TL in the 12 years we've owned it.

I really wanted to like the TLX, and could even discount negative reviews/complaints about the 9AT. But once I drove it I experienced those issues first hand.

Coupled with the heartache from the trans issue in our 2G, that was enough for us to rule it out. Its ashame really....the car is really nice otherwise, I just feel like the 9AT is holding it back (both literally with shifting delay/lag, and figuratively with negative press)

While I think Honda has a vested interest in making the 9AT work, I worry that their version of "work" is different than a lot of consumers. Granted, the vocal consumers might be a minority, so maybe Honda will get away with it (which is how I referred to their attempt at resolving the 2G trans. issues), but I prefer not to go down that road again.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Let's break this down. Are you saying that:
a) some new cars rolling off the production line still have the problems.
b) a fix has not been released for those experiencing a problem (not all owners are experiencing the problems)?
I believe the b) is the accurate statement, as I do not recall seeing owners of recently produced cars reporting these problems.

The 8 speed DCT is now in the ILX, and the 9 speed ZF unit is now in the MDX.
It would not be wise to populate the new models with a transmissions that exhibit problems. I do not follow the forums for these other models to know what they may be experiencing, but I anticipate few if any reports of the same issues with some TLX units.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind, which has been mentioned in other threads, is that people who are having issues typically find resources online to seek others who are having similar issues. Based on the TLX sales numbers I bet there are lots without some of the issues identified here.

Don't get me wrong. Those with the issues need to make as much noise to Acura as they can to get their issue resolved. It just might not be as wide spread as it appears to be in the forum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have seen reports of people buying the 9-speed manufactured in March/April that have the 2-3 shifting problems. Not sure if any are more recent.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It also depends on how sensitive people are to those types of issues. Some may find it unacceptable and others may not care. I got mine in October and it does have symptoms described here, but to me, it's not all that bad. On good days, it actually doesn't "bump" at all.

One gripe I do have about this transmission is that it is not the best during low speed situations like heavy rush hour. Sometimes I get a heavy shift like it slipped while switching gears.

Reactions: Wade

·
Registered
181 Posts
Let's break this down. Are you saying that:
a) some new cars rolling off the production line still have the problems.
b) a fix has not been released for those experiencing a problem (not all owners are experiencing the problems)?
I believe the b) is the accurate statement, as I do not recall seeing owners of recently produced cars reporting these problems.

It would not be wise to populate the new models with a transmissions that exhibit problems. I do not follow the forums for these other models to know what they may be experiencing, but I anticipate few if any reports of the same issues with some TLX units.
I actually asked that exact question on AZ forum recently....or maybe it was here, and recent builds are still showing the same problems. Apparently some of the software updates have made things better for some, but other report no fix or a temporary fix.

I also understand that the MDX, although it has the 9 speed ZF, if programmed differently and therefore does not show the same characteristics. Again, all of this is based upon what I have read online and what I have felt while driving.

I really want to love the TLX. It hits all of the things that I want in a car, but if I am that 1 or 2 or 5% that gets the crappy transmission again, then I am not happy. I have no idea how widespread this is, but the most common post on any of the TLX or AZ forums is related to transmission behavior, and the link in my previous post shows enough concern that some have filed complaints at safecar.gov.

If the TLX had no transmission concerns, then I would almost certainly have one in my garage right now.

btw, it is important for people to distinguish the 8 speed DCT from the 9 speed ZF when referring to problems or no problems....sometimes difficult to discuss both in the same thread without indicating which they are referring to.

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
It also depends on how sensitive people are to those types of issues. Some may find it unacceptable and others may not care. I got mine in October and it does have symptoms described here, but to me, it's not all that bad. On good days, it actually doesn't "bump" at all.

One gripe I do have about this transmission is that it is not the best during low speed situations like heavy rush hour. Sometimes I get a heavy shift like it slipped while switching gears.
I got my V6 P-AWS in February. I had read about the transmission issues and talked to my salesman about it before I bought the car. He assured me that the cars were checked before they went off the lot to make sure the problem had been taken care of. I was especially concerned about the car rolling when in parking gear.

I agree that sometimes I notice a little "bump" in shifting between gears and other times I don't. There have actually been times when I have had to look at the tac to see if the transmission had shifted.

Until recently, with a lot of road construction, I have not had to experience a lot of stop and go, slow traffic. So far it has not been an issue with me.

The big thing that I have noticed is how my TLX performs on a downgrade. I have a moderate hill that I have to go down when I leave my neighborhood. In my previous cars I have had to apply the brake to slow the car down as it descends the grade. With the TLX it seems to find a low enough gear that, if anything, I need to use the accelerator. Once it gets to the bottom of the hill if quickly reverts back to a cruising gear (without a bump).:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question from a potential owner on the 9 speed shifting problem. Has anyone noted if thiese hard shifts, etc, occur in all four driving modes, ie, economy, standard, sport, sport+? I would expect a harder shift perhaps in the sport mode and a smoother more benign shift in economy, no? Or is this occuring in all modes. Never drove one so just askin?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The downhill shifting I believe is 'grade logic' kicking in ... it is supposed to maintain your speed consistently down the hill. When the vehicle becomes level again the gears will shift back to normal driving. I've owned three Honda vehicles and they have all had that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts