Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my TLX for about 3 months now. I traded a 2012 MDX base for a SH-AWD Elite TLX and I couldn’t be happier with it. I am surprised how little I miss my MDX.
What I like:

• Quiet interior. Having a conversation at any speed is effortless. Nobody has to try to talk over road/wind noise.
  • Lane Keep Assist. I really like this feature. I never thought I would like it so much but it is fantastic. When it is activated, it does an amazing job of keeping you from drifting out of your lane. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But I’m glad I have it. I find it makes the car even more effortless to drive.
  • Brake Hold. Another feature that I didn’t realize I would love so much. I miss this every time I have to drive my other car. I have 2 small children and this is especially useful when I need to reach into the backseat while stopped.
  • Idle stop. I know lots of people complain about this but I don’t mind it. It is actually quite easy to get used to re-starting the engine by nudging the steering wheel. Sometimes it does come on when I would prefer it didn’t, no matter how light I think I am pressing the brake. Overall, I have no issue with it.
  • Push button gear selector. I find this to be very nice looking and not at all difficult to use. I really like not bumping my coffee on the gear shifter.
  • Seats. We find the seats very comfortable even on long drives.
  • LED headlights. These are just fantastic. They work great and look even better.
  • Dual screens. I personally find this works very well. I like that my wife can play with the audio on the lower screen and the gps is still visible on the top one. Not sure why so many people complain about this. For me it is a big plus.
  • Rear view mirror. I really like the design of this. Looks really sharp
  • Auto dimming side mirrors. These are just amazing. They work great and really reduce the headlight glare.
  • Heated windshield. It makes driving in winter much safer. It keeps the wipers from icing up and that helps keep the windshield clear so this is a great feature.
  • SH-AWD. What can I say about this. Acura sh-awd is just fantastic. I have been a big fan for many years.
  • Styling. This really is a good looking car. I can’t even count how many people I catch staring at.
What I dislike:

• Horn. I think the horn sounds pretty weak. I have only used it a few times but everyone seems to ignore it. Maybe everyone is a jerk or more likely, the horn just needs to be louder.
  • Manually adjustable steering wheel. My base MDX had a power adjustable steering wheel and it was nice. It’s not something that gets used a whole lot, and I understand we can’t have everything, so not a big deal.
  • Backup camera. I find that I can’t back into parking spaces straight anymore. I may ask my dealer to check that it is aligned properly because the lines don’t seem to match up well with parking lines.

I can’t think of anything really bad to say about this car. My dislikes are fairly minor. I just really enjoy driving it. It has loads of power and handles great. I know some people have criticized it for not having as much power or not handling quite as well as certain BMWs or Audis etc. But it has more power than I will ever be able to use and I really doubt I will be pushing it to its handling limits, especially with 2 little ones in the back. For me, this is the absolute perfect car.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
So I’ve had my TLX for about 3 months now. I traded a 2012 MDX base for a SH-AWD Elite TLX and I couldn’t be happier with it. I am surprised how little I miss my MDX.
Excellent review. Thanks for posting. I agree. I don't have some of the features you have, but you sum up the TLX very well.

:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Nice detailed review, one of the best i have seen on here.
Can't find one of your points that I don't totally agree with either, those are all the features i get the most out of too, bar the idle stop and push button gear selection as in the 4 banger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The power steering wheel would only be beneficial when multiple drivers use the car, with one driver, you adjust it once and never touch it again. In my case, I prefer the cost benefit of not having it. I do think it should be available as an option though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
An outstanding review, congrats. I cannot remember if I have every heard my horn in the 5 months I have had the car. I am still leaning to use the backup camera lines effectively.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's why it's not really a big deal to not have the power steering wheel. It's mostly me driving. But I did like how the MDX steering wheel would move up and in when you turned off the car. Would make it easier to get in and out. Although, in fairness, sometimes it would not go back to its proper position after starting the car.

One thing I forgot to mention is how much I enjoy the automatic heated/cooled seats. I also like how it turns on your seat, steering wheel and heated windshield when you remote start the car in the cold. Very nice and thoughtful feature. I do find myself turning off the heated windshield the vast majority of the time since it comes on when the temperature is below 4C. I think I would rather turn this on when I need it but, again, that is a pretty small thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.