Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Acura TLX A-SPEC V6 SH-AWD
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Currently using 225/55/17 on my V6 SH-AWD A-Spec. Debating using my factory 19s on 245/40/19 winters. Anybody doing this currently? If so, what is your experience?

Some tire shops say they wouldn't do it. The majority say I can do it no problem and it will be fun to drive.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
Those are pretty wide snow tires! I'm not a tire expert, but a taller tire will cut through the snow a little better. I decided to go with separate wheels and tires to make transition simple (and DIY).
Check this thread (9 pages of winter tire discussions).

·
Registered
238 Posts
I looked at the option of winter tires on my 19" rims (2015 AWD Advance), but wasn't impressed enough with the winter tires performance reviews. Instead I decided to go with all-seasons, and I love them even in the snow. Tire choice I went with were:

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
245/40R19

I had my dealer acquire them ($200 each), mount + balance, and alignment.
Car handles phenomenally with these tires -- car rockets out of turns now, and handling is so much better, especially in cloverleafs and mountain roads. I head to the ski slopes in the white mountains every weekend so they get tested frequently in the snow and definitely work well in icy or unplowed snow.
I wish I put these tires on my car on day 1 -- it's almost a different car now, and so much better than the "boat" tires that the car came with. Vibration went away, and I get fewer of the transmission jerks than I used to.
Frankly, I think Acura would sell a lot more of these TLX's if they made these Potenza tires standard instead of the michelin junk that is OEM with the weak sidewalls & low traction.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I have the Firestone version, Firehawk AS 245/40/19 XL98V, on my car and I agree that they handle great.When I went to the Acura 19" rims that is what I chose.

·
Super Moderator
818 Posts
I'm getting new tires for another car (2015 Civic, yes: plenty of Honda products in this house). Going for the All-season UniRoyal Tiger Paw A/S. The tire guy was gushing over a new grade of tire: All-Weather. They are a full mix of summer and winter with a better snow tread. Maybe I'll look at those when my current Snows are ready for replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts