Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to buying wheels and tires but I’d like to buy a new tire that matches the stock ones. I’ve already found rims that I want and that fit the tires but I’m trying to get a match of the tires for my full size spare. The Michelin primacy touring a/s match the tread but the sidewall looks to be different, I am just trying to figure out if that’s actually the correct part. It might not matter so much as long as the tread matches but I’d just like to get a tire that matches if possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
New to buying wheels and tires but I’d like to buy a new tire that matches the stock ones. I’ve already found rims that I want and that fit the tires but I’m trying to get a match of the tires for my full size spare. The Michelin primacy touring a/s match the tread but the sidewall looks to be different, I am just trying to figure out if that’s actually the correct part. It might not matter so much as long as the tread matches but I’d just like to get a tire that matches if possible.
My 2021 ASPEC came with the Michelin primacy tires stock.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The oe tires are Bridgestone Turanza's, if you're looking for an exact match. At least that's what mine came equipped with.
Do you have a spare tire kit? I just got a flat today with just under 2k miles with the Turanzas on my A-Spec. Something got impaled. I got it patched but they said to keep an eye on it. I had to wait about 4 hours to get my car towed. Talk about a crap day. Those inflator kits are useless. I had it in my 19 TLX lease but never had a flat in the three years. The Acura Roadside today was useless. They contract out to AAA and after 3 hours i contacted Allstate Motor Club which i also had and a tow came in about 90 mins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have a spare tire kit? I just got a flat today with just under 2k miles with the Turanzas on my A-Spec. Something got impaled. I got it patched but they said to keep an eye on it. I had to wait about 4 hours to get my car towed. Talk about a crap day. Those inflator kits are useless. I had it in my 19 TLX lease but never had a flat in the three years. The Acura Roadside today was useless. They contract out to AAA and after 3 hours i contacted Allstate Motor Club which i also had and a tow came in about 90 mins.
Thank you for reinforcing my decision not to accept the ridiculous notion that an inflator kit makes a spare tire unnecessary. I paid $420 for the spare tire after complaining about being misled about "run-flat" tires that the car doesn't have.

I do understand why they omit it from the standard equipment, which of course is the same reason they have that stupid "feature" that shuts the engine off when stopped : the EPA CAFE rules. But at least they should try to sell the spare tire as an option.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you for reinforcing my decision not to accept the ridiculous notion that an inflator kit makes a spare tire unnecessary. I paid $420 for the spare tire after complaining about being misled about "run-flat" tires that the car doesn't have.

I do understand why they omit it from the standard equipment, which of course is the same reason they have that stupid "feature" that shuts the engine off when stopped : the EPA CAFE rules. But at least they should try to sell the spare tire as an option.
Yeah the experience today left a sour taste with Acura Roadside. If they are not going to offer a spare or at least offer you an option the day you take delivery, then offer better roadside service. I had to go to Allstate Motor Club as a backup roadside service. I guess I'll contact the dealership about installing a spare tire kit? Has anyone purchased one for their 21 or 22 TLX's and does the dealership have to install? The batter is in the bank and there doesn't appear to be much room back there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah the experience today left a sour taste with Acura Roadside. If they are not going to offer a spare or at least offer you an option the day you take delivery, then offer better roadside service. I had to go to Allstate Motor Club as a backup roadside service.
I've kept my AAA membership, which has paid off in the past.

I guess I'll contact the dealership about installing a spare tire kit? Has anyone purchased one for their 21 or 22 TLX's and does the dealership have to install? The batter is in the bank and there doesn't appear to be much room back there.
I bought it for my '22 TLX and I would not want to install it myself because it seems pretty complicated. It does go over the battery and I think they have to replace some battery mounting hardware. You should get them to order it first because they don't always have it in stock.

I got a discount on the normal absurd price of about $750 by complaining that they misled me about the car having run-flat tires. Even though the salesman lied and said he never said that, they did give me a big discount. Otherwise I would have complained to Acura HQ, which I assume they wouldn't like.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't hear anything about run flats from my sales people for my 22. That inflator kit is only good for certain sized holes. Also I wonder how many times that inflator can be used. I probably wasted a fair amount of it today. When i finally got the care to a pep boys, where the guys were nice to stay open for me after having a crap day. There was the white liquid coming out when they were repairing the tire. They also told me to keep an eye on the tire for a bit. That's great, I've had the car for 2 months and love it, but i have to drive it like i have a 15 year old car. I may just buy a new tire for peace of mind and then look to getting a kit. I'll contact them tomorrow to see what they say about the spare kit and how much of a markup it is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've kept my AAA membership, which has paid off in the past.

I bought it for my '22 TLX and I would not want to install it myself because it seems pretty complicated. It does go over the battery and I think they have to replace some battery mounting hardware. You should get them to order it first because they don't always have it in stock.

I got a discount on the normal absurd price of about $750 by complaining that they misled me about the car having run-flat tires. Even though the salesman lied and said he never said that, they did give me a big discount. Otherwise I would have complained to Acura HQ, which I assume they wouldn't like.
It's not complicated at all. Directions are very clear. I think I needed only one socket for the ratchet.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S (had 1994 Integra GSR 4DR)
51 Posts
I got the spare kit, they charged me their price without markup, I think it was $450 installed. I am actually glad it doesn't have run flat's I had them on my Mini, they sucked.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I got the spare kit, they charged me their price without markup, I think it was $450 installed. I am actually glad it doesn't have run flat's I had them on my Mini, they sucked.
Thanks for the info. I guess that's not too bad with it being installed and for piece of mind. I'll contact the dealership parts dept and see what they charge.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
283 Posts

I know that I'm jinxing myself but I've driven two BMW's and the Acura without spares for eight years and never had a need for a spare. It sucks that there are people who have a bad experience, but the reality is that most spare tires go unused so long without being looked at that they are probably either low on air or dangerously dry rotted to operate at high speeds. The only time that I ever experienced a catastrophic tire failure in the past 25 years was in my wife's Mustang....and her spare tire was flat when I pulled it out of the trunk. I've had three nails in my truck tires over a 20 year period and all of them leaked so slowly that I had plenty of time to get them to a shop without messing with the spare. The only time that my spare has been pulled off my truck was to check the pressure and to replace my rear bumper after getting hit in a parking lot.

I get it that some people want that piece of mind of having a spare tire in their trunk.....but it doesn't make financial sense at all. Where I live, it costs about $75 to get towed. If I ever get in a situation where I need to be towed because I needed a spare, I can get it done six times for the price that the poster above paid for the spare tire. There's a convenience factor of course, but I'm guessing that the overall numbers support the idea that spare tires are a placebo for most people and never get used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know that I'm jinxing myself but I've driven two BMW's and the Acura without spares for eight years and never had a need for a spare. It sucks that there are people who have a bad experience, but the reality is that most spare tires go unused so long without being looked at that they are probably either low on air or dangerously dry rotted to operate at high speeds. The only time that I ever experienced a catastrophic tire failure in the past 25 years was in my wife's Mustang....and her spare tire was flat when I pulled it out of the trunk. I've had three nails in my truck tires over a 20 year period and all of them leaked so slowly that I had plenty of time to get them to a shop without messing with the spare. The only time that my spare has been pulled off my truck was to check the pressure and to replace my rear bumper after getting hit in a parking lot.

I get it that some people want that piece of mind of having a spare tire in their trunk.....but it doesn't make financial sense at all. Where I live, it costs about $75 to get towed. If I ever get in a situation where I need to be towed because I needed a spare, I can get it done six times for the price that the poster above paid for the spare tire. There's a convenience factor of course, but I'm guessing that the overall numbers support the idea that spare tires are a placebo for most people and never get used.
Here's a case where "your mileage may vary" is absolutely apropos.

I have needed my spare tire on at least half a dozen occasions in the last 5 years, on three different vehicles. On none of those occasions was the spare flat or rotted.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
283 Posts
Here's a case where "your mileage may vary" is absolutely apropos.

I have needed my spare tire on at least half a dozen occasions in the last 5 years, on three different vehicles. On none of those occasions was the spare flat or rotted.
There is no doubt that a driver needs to know the environment they are driving in when making these decisions. I'm amazed that you've needed to use your spare that many times but there are just some places where it happens more. For someone in your shoes, the spare tire probably does make financial sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I completely agree about the auto pump the car comes with. It is completely useless. I invested in the spare tire kit. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 2021 ASPEC came with the Michelin primacy tires stock.
Yeah it’s odd though that the tread doesn’t match the primacy tires, it matches the primacy touring but the primacy touring says primacy touring on the sidewall while the tires on mine just say primacy. I’m confused but I’m going to go with the tires that have the matching tread. I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Yep really bizarre to me, can’t see it working for all situations if something really nasty goes down. I’m going for a full size spare to rotate in with the stock tires to really optimize the life of them and of course to have that spare should anything unfortunate happen.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts