Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After eight months of driving, I decided to make a list of all the issues I had with this vehicle. In general, I am really pleased with the driving experience and power of this vehicle, but a number of little issues are giving me a lot of grief.

Problem solved (so far):

1. Puddle light. Mine's puddle lights have broken four times since last Aug. The first time happened on the day I picked it up. Once a month, I go to the dealership to repair them. The dealership even broke my rearview mirror when they tried to fix them. I don't blame my dealer; after all, the TLX 2021 is kind of a new thing. However, I find the frequent puddle light damage to be inexcusable and irresponsible. Many 2021 TLX, not just Type-S, have this issue, according to what I've heard. I contacted Acura Canada after my 4th repair and filed a complaint with CAMVAP. Acura Canada deployed a field engineer and fixed my car after a month of heated negotiations, and I received a $500 compensation. My puddle light has been operating for almost a month, and I'm hoping it won't break any more until I sell it. I strongly suggest everyone who experienced the same issue complained to Acura head office as well as regulators in your region/country. This is a severe problem for TLX, and it deserves a recall.

2. Body panel alignment. I don't think I need to describe the problem too much, it is also a well-known issue. Head over to your local dealership and have them check it out. In general, they will adjust them for you without any problems.

Problem pending checked:

1. Wind/road noise. I don't know if it is a general problem, or just me, but I am feeling bad about its wind noise and road noise. The only car I have ever owned which had the worse noise is 2015 Tesla Model S. If you ever drove that car, you know what I mean. The wind noise becomes obviously noticeble when the speed is over 60 mph. For the road noise, I know it could be better on the regular models, but it's still too loud. I will go to the dealership and have it checked out and update the result here.

2. Speaker static sound. Another annoying issue. I can hear it clearly when I don't play anything and stop at the red light. It happens even I turned the audio off. I tried to change the audio setting and it didn't help. Again, I will update the dealer's possible solution and the result here.

If you have any of those issues on your 2021+ TLX, please post them here. I would like to discuss with you about them.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
345 Posts
After eight months of driving, I decided to make a list of all the issues I had with this vehicle. In general, I am really pleased with the driving experience and power of this vehicle, but a number of little issues are giving me a lot of grief.

Problem solved (so far):

1. Puddle light. Mine's puddle lights have broken four times since last Aug. The first time happened on the day I picked it up. Once a month, I go to the dealership to repair them. The dealership even broke my rearview mirror when they tried to fix them. I don't blame my dealer; after all, the TLX 2021 is kind of a new thing. However, I find the frequent puddle light damage to be inexcusable and irresponsible. Many 2021 TLX, not just Type-S, have this issue, according to what I've heard. I contacted Acura Canada after my 4th repair and filed a complaint with CAMVAP. Acura Canada deployed a field engineer and fixed my car after a month of heated negotiations, and I received a $500 compensation. My puddle light has been operating for almost a month, and I'm hoping it won't break any more until I sell it. I strongly suggest everyone who experienced the same issue complained to Acura head office as well as regulators in your region/country. This is a severe problem for TLX, and it deserves a recall.

2. Body panel alignment. I don't think I need to describe the problem too much, it is also a well-known issue. Head over to your local dealership and have them check it out. In general, they will adjust them for you without any problems.

Problem pending checked:

1. Wind/road noise. I don't know if it is a general problem, or just me, but I am feeling bad about its wind noise and road noise. The only car I have ever owned which had the worse noise is 2015 Tesla Model S. If you ever drove that car, you know what I mean. The wind noise becomes obviously noticeble when the speed is over 60 mph. For the road noise, I know it could be better on the regular models, but it's still too loud. I will go to the dealership and have it checked out and update the result here.

2. Speaker static sound. Another annoying issue. I can hear it clearly when I don't play anything and stop at the red light. It happens even I turned the audio off. I tried to change the audio setting and it didn't help. Again, I will update the dealer's possible solution and the result here.

If you have any of those issues on your 2021+ TLX, please post them here. I would like to discuss with you about them.
The static issue is a Fakra connector that needs to be replaced. I had it done last year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the puddle light issue solved. They redesigned the light after October. Just be sure the dealer installs the puddle lights after that date and will not be a problem. They misaligned the one I had installed a month ago and it went out, but it has been solid since with many car washes and driving in the rain.

As for wind noise, I swear I had a whistle from the driver's side when going over 70, but attested it to be due to high wind days blowing in a different direction because on calm days it seems to be non-existent. Just my personal issues with wind noise.

Sometimes, with Bluetooth, I get a very digitized tone every so often. Fix - disconnect, reconnect. It is almost like the car is losing connection momentarily.

Android Auto-disconnect when moving the USB cable - I believe it has to do with the USB port itself. Maybe the connector is loose, I have not taken it in. I have used many different cables and same result, even from a brand new cable (which I know, it can have a short as well being brand new) but I am sure the plug isn't seated right in the cubby.

Lane assist - When the lanes widen for off-ramp, the car leans that direction and I have to fight it, saying lane departure in my center console. - Fix...turn off lane assist, but it is super annoying on long trips when it does that.

Tail-light condensation - Dealer replaced whole assembly, keep an eye on it.

Paint defects - I have found many paint defects under the clear coat over the months of ownership. Have the dealership document them all in case of clear coat failure in those areas.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the puddle light issue solved. They redesigned the light after October. Just be sure the dealer installs the puddle lights after that date and will not be a problem. They misaligned the one I had installed a month ago and it went out, but it has been solid since with many car washes and driving in the rain.

As for wind noise, I swear I had a whistle from the driver's side when going over 70, but attested it to be due to high wind days blowing in a different direction because on calm days it seems to be non-existent. Just my personal issues with wind noise.

Sometimes, with Bluetooth, I get a very digitized tone every so often. Fix - disconnect, reconnect. It is almost like the car is losing connection momentarily.

Android Auto-disconnect when moving the USB cable - I believe it has to do with the USB port itself. Maybe the connector is loose, I have not taken it in. I have used many different cables and same result, even from a brand new cable (which I know, it can have a short as well being brand new) but I am sure the plug isn't seated right in the cubby.

Lane assist - When the lanes widen for off-ramp, the car leans that direction and I have to fight it, saying lane departure in my center console. - Fix...turn off lane assist, but it is super annoying on long trips when it does that.

Tail-light condensation - Dealer replaced whole assembly, keep an eye on it.

Paint defects - I have found many paint defects under the clear coat over the months of ownership. Have the dealership document them all in case of clear coat failure in those areas.
Thank you for your sharing. I am more interested in the taillights and painting issue. Maybe you have some pictures about those?

·
Super Moderator
2021 TLX Type S, 355 hp, twin turbo, curb weight 4221 lbs a little heavy
144 Posts

Problem solved (so far):

Problem pending checked:

I own the Type S just two months but funny you said about the problem, I encounter today my Android Auto won't work, I start and restart, plug and unplug it just not working. My 2019 have a similar problem after four months dealership couldn't fix it and I said that I could declare this is a lemon per VA law. The dealer immediately offer me the Type S with a price I can't resist and they took the old car back and credit my car as the same price I bought it 4 months ago, the deal ain't bad. I just don't want to stuck with a trouble. I will try the connection again and see what happen. I will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
296 Posts
I own the Type S just two months but funny you said about the problem, I encounter today my Android Auto won't work, I start and restart, plug and unplug it just not working. My 2019 have a similar problem after four months dealership couldn't fix it and I said that I could declare this is a lemon per VA law. The dealer immediately offer me the Type S with a price I can't resist and they took the old car back and credit my car as the same price I bought it 4 months ago, the deal ain't bad. I just don't want to stuck with a trouble. I will try the connection again and see what happen. I will keep you posted.
Damn I wish I could've gotten an insane offer like that when my current 2019 TLX V6 AWD had a massive engine failure due to faulty bearings... but I ended up getting a brand new engine under factory warranty so far only 3k miles on the new engine so I think I'll trade up into the Type-S in early 2023 just before the new engine in my 2019 reaches 10k miles...

·
Super Moderator
144 Posts
Damn I wish I could've gotten an insane offer like that when my current 2019 TLX V6 AWD had a massive engine failure due to faulty bearings... but I ended up getting a brand new engine under factory warranty so far only 3k miles on the new engine so I think I'll trade up into the Type-S in early 2023 just before the new engine in my 2019 reaches 10k miles...
It just luck, I told the sales. We don't agreed with the price right away, then he call someone to talk to me and that guy drop the price which makes very attractive and irresistible so I bought it.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

·
Super Moderator
144 Posts
By the way my Android Auto work on the following day and I don't have any problem. Like it never happens, that really makes me unsettled. Don't know how or when it might happen again.
Did anyone have a similar issue on a 2021 Type S, please let me know.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S (had 1994 Integra GSR 4DR)
75 Posts
By the way my Android Auto work on the following day and I don't have any problem. Like it never happens, that really makes me unsettled. Don't know how or when it might happen again.
Did anyone have a similar issue on a 2021 Type S, please let me know.
I get it on my wife's phone on her Mazda6 and on my TLX, but only very rarely, I think it is an Android auto thing...

·
Super Moderator
144 Posts
It only happen because they can't fix the problem and in VA more than 3 times same problems and the dealer couldn't fix it can be declare as lemon. Each states are different. You will have to find out what is the lemon law at your state.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts