Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently took delivery of a new 2021 TLX Type S in Tiger Eye. However, later that day in the garage, noticed large panel gaps and misalignment with window trim, particularly on the driver's side. Almost as if QC was missed on that side. The passenger side is much better overall. Brought it in to my dealer to look at, and was told the service shop doesn't do body work and that the gaps, while admittedly large, are considered acceptable by factory standards. Photos below:

Driver's side rear door
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Driver's Side Trunk
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Fender

Driver's Side Window Trim Rear Door and C pillar
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Driver's Side Hood
Hood Motor vehicle Helmet Yellow Line

Has anyone else encountered this? Any options to get this fixed?
Also, there seems to be significantly more wind noise while driving at higher speeds than compared to a Nissan Altima or Mazda 3. Anyone else having something similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
My September '20 build Advance has some larger gaps than I'd like, particularly around the hood and trunk, but nothing like that. I'm not sure what the remedy would be. Damned difficult to address after the fact. Talk to the dealer, but keep in mind that their options with something like this are limited, too.

If it's really bad enough that it makes you want to dump the car you'll probably have to involve a lawyer with a detailed understanding of consumer protection laws where you live.

It's unfortunate, but this is yet another reminder that the pre-delivery inspection is, from our standpoint, the most important part of the car buying process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I placed a order last Saturday on a 22' TLX Type-S Apex Blue with red interior & performance wheels. It should arrive by March but before trading up & signing I will perform a inspection & look out for the gaps.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
196 Posts
Recently took delivery of a new 2021 TLX Type S in Tiger Eye. However, later that day in the garage, noticed large panel gaps and misalignment with window trim, particularly on the driver's side. Almost as if QC was missed on that side. The passenger side is much better overall. Brought it in to my dealer to look at, and was told the service shop doesn't do body work and that the gaps, while admittedly large, are considered acceptable by factory standards. Photos below:

Driver's side rear door
Driver's Side Trunk
Driver's Side Window Trim Rear Door and C pillar
Driver's Side Hood

Has anyone else encountered this? Any options to get this fixed?
Also, there seems to be significantly more wind noise while driving at higher speeds than compared to a Nissan Altima or Mazda 3. Anyone else having something similar?
I'd be curious to see how these gap issues look from 10' away. Sometimes, people get so caught up in the details that they obsess about things that nobody else would feel important. My A-Spec has one or two panel gaps that aren't perfect, but I'd guess that fewer than 1 out of 10 people would notice them unless they were told to be looking at the gaps. There are also times where you have two different curves coming together and a gap might look terrible from one angle but okay from another.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
Panel gaps are funny things. The best I've seen lately are on a Ram pickup. Mazda and Toyota do a good job too, as does Ford and GM...generally. Honda (and Acura), Infiniti/Nissan and Subaru are variable from car to car.

Lexus apparently believes there should not be things like panel gaps and so it doesn't use them, but they feel the same way about handling and steering response, too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Doesn’t your dealer have a body shop? I would make a call to Acura, if the dealer continues to show no interest! My opinion it is unacceptable. If the dealer thinks that acceptable by Acura standards then Acura has lost its quality touch!

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
36 Posts
Mine is not that bad, but if does have some minor panel misalignments here and there, definitely Acura is not what it used to be in terms of quality, for what is worth I see the same defects in other vehicles, I was recently looking at 2021 Escalades in 2 different dealers and the panel misalignments in both were ridiculous, you could see them a mile away

·
Registered
2016 TLX
15 Posts
I purchased a 2020 Aspec that has a misaligned (higher on one side and gaps don't match) hood. I noticed it before buying it but was assured by Acura it was not wrecked which was my main concern. I took it to my body shop guy and he confirmed it was not wrecked and said a lot of new cars are put together with gaps. I was a little skeptical but after reading all these posts I feel better about it not being wrecked at least. Someday I'll get it aligned cause it bothers me too!

·
Registered
196 Posts
After reading about these issues, i went out and checked my 2020 TLX, and everything seems to line up perfectly! Wonder what is going on? Could it be the reduced workforce on the manufacturing line?

·
Registered
2016 TLX
15 Posts
After reading about these issues, i went out and checked my 2020 TLX, and everything seems to line up perfectly! Wonder what is going on? Could it be the reduced workforce on the manufacturing line?
I have also heard / read that some of the new units are damaged during transport or even on the lot and are taken apart to re-paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts