Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Have you completed the first maintenance for your 21 TLX? What light or letter/number (A1, 2, B1,2..) does your maintenance minder shows? What are all the services performed during your first visit?
I would greatly appreciated if you can share some information. Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would never wait 7000 miles between changes, especially the first. Mobil1 synthetic every 5k for me. I think these car companies figured out a great way to start destroying engines beyond their drive-train warranty. lol

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
139 Posts
Mine wanted A1 service at 3,400 miles. Mostly surburban moderate traffic driving. That seems about right given the nature of use...short trips, incomplete warming cycles are hard on engine oil.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
196 Posts
Hello everyone,

Have you completed the first maintenance for your 21 TLX? What light or letter/number (A1, 2, B1,2..) does your maintenance minder shows? What are all the services performed during your first visit?
I prepaid for the first four years service on my car with the guarantee that I could take it in at six month intervals for scheduled service regardless of the mileage or messages. Mine still said 50% oil life with no maintenance minder message when I had the oil changed at 3,200 miles and six months on the clock. I'm driving a lot more now that my office moved to the opposite side of town so it will be interesting (to me) to see what the situation is when I'm due for service again on April 30th, 2022.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I should take delivery of my 22' TLX Type-S Apex Blue in March. I am aware the Type-S takes 6 quarts of oil. However, I plan on taking the TLX to the Acura dealer for routine oil changes but supplying my own own. Castrol Edge 0W20 Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Due to the recent bought of cold weather, noticing better fuel economy, I was concerned with oil dilution that known issue with TGDI engines. Glad I changed the oil myself, had over 6 quarts on FF! Gasoline oder was unmistakable, changed at roughly 3300 miles. I would definitely advise not waiting till the minder comes on, especially if you live in cold weather or northern states. There was a TSB awhile back that recommended to prolong FF oil change, but that was during the mid 90s, before the first turbo charged gas direct injected engines were produced by Honda. Idea was to leave the higher molybdenum grease from factory in the oil to help with break in. I debated filling back up with OW-30 or -40, instead of recommended OW-20, to help mitigate the lost of viscosity w/ cold weather starts or short drives, but going to check in next 3k to see if this is going to be continual problem or just part of first engine break in as the piston rings haven't honed in yet.

Note, while your under the car, if you didn't opt to get an underbody coat, hit up at least the front knuckle/j-arm, and on the rear hit the rear diff polygonal joint. I went ahead and applied some stop rust and Fluid Film to mitigate salt rust.

51216-TGV-A03

42320-TJB-305

And don't lift or drop her off too fast, otherwise the front shock rubber cap protectors go flying!

51608-TGV-A00

·
Registered
16 Posts
14k and going on my third oil change, maintenance light just went on right now, so excited. Yes 8k in between service is really weird in my experience but its what the warranty says and I am not going to void it over an oil change. But so weird !!!
Central California over here so temperatures and enviroment are as average as it can get.
I do drive it very hard haha it is a weekend car and will be abusing it regularly. So let's see what this k20c can and can't take. So far though it's amazeballs.
Coming from a built k24 in my 08 si as a daily for 6 years, not all 6 were a built k24 but nonetheless it's a whole different driving experience. Having a turbo k with warranty makes those pedal to the metal funner and less stressful hahahaha.

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S
36 Posts
Hello everyone,

I do the maintenance myself, first oil change @1500 miles, second will be @ 5k and every 5k thereafter, Amsoil signature , then @10k air filter and cabin air filter and tire rotation. Brakes as needed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Due to the recent bought of cold weather, noticing better fuel economy, I was concerned with oil dilution that known issue with TGDI engines. Glad I changed the oil myself, had over 6 quarts on FF! Gasoline oder was unmistakable, changed at roughly 3300 miles. I would definitely advise not waiting till the minder comes on, especially if you live in cold weather or northern states. There was a TSB awhile back that recommended to prolong FF oil change, but that was during the mid 90s, before the first turbo charged gas direct injected engines were produced by Honda. Idea was to leave the higher molybdenum grease from factory in the oil to help with break in. I debated filling back up with OW-30 or -40, instead of recommended OW-20, to help mitigate the lost of viscosity w/ cold weather starts or short drives, but going to check in next 3k to see if this is going to be continual problem or just part of first engine break in as the piston rings haven't honed in yet.

Note, while your under the car, if you didn't opt to get an underbody coat, hit up at least the front knuckle/j-arm, and on the rear hit the rear diff polygonal joint. I went ahead and applied some stop rust and Fluid Film to mitigate salt rust.

51216-TGV-A03

42320-TJB-305

And don't lift or drop her off too fast, otherwise the front shock rubber cap protectors go flying!

51608-TGV-A00
Oils have gotten better over time the new API standard oil is now rated at SN plus with the newest being SP!
suggest you read jp on these classifications.
To say you need to change earlier because they are DI turbo engines is just old false info! The 0W(winter) is not a constant, its only at 0W at start up in at its rated pour point! You want the 0w for better oil circulation in colder weather At start up. As the engine warms up you get the protection of 20! Ealy 90’s is just that old, and does not apply!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts