Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a company that will drill and slot my front rotors. No one have anything for the car. I鈥檓 going to start this first. 4000 lbs with small brakes ain鈥檛 working out l, cause this is my 8th times cutting them. I do drive on the fast side with Ktuner flash. 馃槄 will update once I get the rotors back!

Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
Cross-drilled and slotted rotors will do nothing but increase your chances of the rotor cracking between holes, especially when not done as part of the manufacturing process. You will see zero performance improvement.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cross-drilled and slotted rotors will do nothing but increase your chances of the rotor cracking between holes, especially when not done as part of the manufacturing process. You will see zero performance improvement.
I鈥檝e heard this many times about cracking. I have run drilled on all my car. I like them cause it the rotors doesn鈥檛 warp faster than oem. Thanks for your input.

Registered
I鈥檝e heard this many times about cracking. I have run drilled on all my car. I like them cause it the rotors doesn鈥檛 warp faster than oem. Thanks for your input.
From what Ive read your right. The holes help warping and the slots clean the pads? I seen another guy posting about upgrading the pads to EBC. But they're not out yet but shouldn't be much longer hopefully. Would be a good upgrade to go with the drilled and slotted Rotors.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what Ive read your right. The holes help warping and the slots clean the pads? I seen another guy posting about upgrading the pads to EBC. But they're not out yet but shouldn't be much longer hopefully. Would be a good upgrade to go with the drilled and slotted Rotors.
Mine is on the way rn. If you guy go on tlxofamerica ig story. I just tagged him with type s calipers on my aspec. 馃槷鈥嶐煉

Registered
2016 I4 Tech - Fathom Blue Pearl w/ chrome trim blackouts, Enkie Vulcan wheels, remote start & more
From what Ive read your right. The holes help warping and the slots eat the pads?
Fix'd. :)

Actually:

Registered
馃檵馃徎鈥嶁檪锔忦煓嬸煆烩嶁檪锔忦煓嬸煆烩嶁檪锔忦煓嬸煆烩嶁檪锔 I鈥檝e did my digging. My kit will be in this Saturday hoping acura doesn鈥檛 change The status to back order. 馃く馃敟
So these are the brakes straight from the type s.
Fix'd. :)

Actually:

馃槀I ment to say clean not eat lol. Not sure why it auto corrected to that lol. A friend of mine owns a Porsche Cayman and it has huge drilled rotors and they do have cracks. But it just looks so good, it's hard not to have em lol.

Registered
R3 - I satirically changed "clean" to "eat." Slotted rotors can be very hard on pads.

Registered
2021 TLX Type S
I run drilled and slotted rotors on my F150 Raptor, I did it for the looks mostly , so far they do the job perfectly , no cracks, no abnormal pad wear, you really have to abuse them to get to temperatures high enough to crack them.

Registered
I run drilled and slotted rotors on my F150 Raptor, I did it for the looks mostly , so far they do the job perfectly , no cracks, no abnormal pad wear, you really have to abuse them to get to temperatures high enough to crack them.
They definitely look good. Soon as I can get nice looking rotors I'll have them on the car lol.

Registered
The only way you will get better stopping is by increasing both brake and rotor area, and using multiple piston calipers giving better pressure distribution.The drilling and slotting is more for alleviating heat and dust interfering with the friction surface.
The value add of slotting and drilling is only realized when using the brakes hard as on the track or high speed driving.
Since you stated you dont do either, you are not going to see any value add.

As far as rotors cracking due to drilling, funny how non of my Porsches rotors have ever cracked not even around any of the drill holes!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only way you will get better stopping is by increasing both brake and rotor area, and using multiple piston calipers giving better pressure distribution.The drilling and slotting is more for alleviating heat and dust interfering with the friction surface.
The value add of slotting and drilling is only realized when using the brakes hard as on the track or high speed driving.
Since you stated you dont do either, you are not going to see any value add.

As far as rotors cracking due to drilling, funny how non of my Porsches rotors have ever cracked not even around any of the drill holes!
Thanks for your input.

Registered

Registered
I was saying that Porsche is not immune to rotors cracking, and you proved a point: Dimpling is not the same as cross-drilling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.