Acura TLX Forum banner
101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Used roadside assistance with the second incident. A spare would've helped, but it also would've sucked driving 50 (as is usually recommended on a spare/donut) on an interstate where everyone's going 70-80mph.
It's been tested. You don't have to go fifty, that's the brand's lawyers' number.

I recall a more involved test from Car and Driver in the 90's. They drove for hundreds of miles on donuts on FWD & RWD cars moving the spare around to all 4 corners.

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
196 Posts
Spares are unfortunately becoming less common as manufacturers opt for the cost and weight savings instead.

For what it's worth, in my ~20 years of driving, I've only ever needed a spare tire twice. Both were due to potholes that popped a tire on my car. First time my car had a spare and it was thankfully a local incident; second time my car didn't and it was unfortunately also in the middle of a 5-hour drive and I arrived at my destination 5 hours late. That's easily among the worst outcomes of not having a spare. Used roadside assistance with the second incident. A spare would've helped, but it also would've sucked driving 50 (as is usually recommended on a spare/donut) on an interstate where everyone's going 70-80mph.

Third time I could've arguably used a spare but didn't actually need it was also due to a pothole, but I had runflat tires then and I was close enough I could limp the car home and get a new tire ordered for replacement within the next couple days.

I've otherwise done many ~5-hour drives and daily commutes and really the odds of needing a spare are admittedly really low, even with the crappy roads I deal with in the Midwest, but I fully acknowledge that they are nice to have when you need them. I'm still pursuing a kit for the TLX, but it's hard to get info or updates on when anyone will be able to get them as they seem to be backordered everywhere.
Your commentary is the reason that I've decided to be unconcerned about the spare tire. I've been driving for over three decades and I've had two instances in that time where I needed a spare. The first time was 100% operator error and bad luck. I was driving like an idiot and put a hole in the sidewall in a freak accident. The odds of that happening again are super low. The next time was when I got a nail in a tire that got tweaked and created a fast leak. The other three times that I had a tire leak, it was slow enough that it was easy to identify and deal with before I needed a spare. My only concern with the Acura leak kit is a concern that the sealant is dried up and unusable before I need it. For those that want the spare.....more power to them.

·
Registered
2021 SH-AWD Advance
29 Posts
Your commentary is the reason that I've decided to be unconcerned about the spare tire. I've been driving for over three decades and I've had two instances in that time where I needed a spare. The first time was 100% operator error and bad luck. I was driving like an idiot and put a hole in the sidewall in a freak accident. The odds of that happening again are super low. The next time was when I got a nail in a tire that got tweaked and created a fast leak. The other three times that I had a tire leak, it was slow enough that it was easy to identify and deal with before I needed a spare. My only concern with the Acura leak kit is a concern that the sealant is dried up and unusable before I need it. For those that want the spare.....more power to them.
I'm the same way. I drove a 2011 Mustang, with the Track Pack which deleted the spare to save weight, for six years. Didn't spend a second worrying about a spare, and never needed one. Lack of a spare didn't phase me on the TLX either.

However, in the past 14 months I have used the spare on my 2006 Ridgeline twice. The first time was when a tire blew out completely, which I take responsibility for. I should have replaced them when I bought the vehicle used and saw signs of old age on the tires. The second time was coming back from a hike after driving 15+ miles of gravel/dirt access roads to and from the trail head when I picked up a screw. The TLX will never be subject to either scenario. I'm not saying there is no chance I'll get a flat, but the risk is low enough that I don't worry about it.

I guess I'm a bit of a risk taker at heart. I never buy warranties on anything, and I try to get as much life as possible out of everything. Maybe this risk tolerance applies to spare tires, too!

·
Registered
2021 TLX Type S (had 1994 Integra GSR 4DR)
25 Posts
I was on the fence about ordering the spare until last night, my story is as follows. I was going to drive the TLX but since it was going to rain and I just got the puddle lights replaced (They stop working if they get wet) I took my Volvo, I was on the interstate, and was changing lanes and hit something, I think it was a pothole before a bridge joint. There is no way a foam repair kit would have worked on this blow out, and these were not cheap Walmart tires, the are/were Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
I am going to order the spare from Acura as soon as it is available.
Wheel Automotive tire Tread Tire Hubcap

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, despite how rarely I've actually needed a spare over the years, I'm still getting one for the TLX (my excuse is that having two kids in the car with more frequent road trips has me feeling more risk averse).

I was initially looking at the spare kits when they were going for around $120-$130 online, but Acura increased the price a month or so ago and so they're mostly around $300 online now with list price being something like $422. The spare tire itself isn't included either, so you may be looking at something closer to $400-$500 all-in on a spare kit + tire depending on where you source the parts.

The price increase slowed my search, but my dealer + Acura came through for me because they quoted me at $160 when I first asked about the kit a while back and they've decided to honor that quote. I jumped on that offer and should have the kit in maybe a couple weeks or so (it's currently on backorder).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm the same way. I drove a 2011 Mustang, with the Track Pack which deleted the spare to save weight, for six years. Didn't spend a second worrying about a spare, and never needed one. Lack of a spare didn't phase me on the TLX either.

However, in the past 14 months I have used the spare on my 2006 Ridgeline twice. The first time was when a tire blew out completely, which I take responsibility for. I should have replaced them when I bought the vehicle used and saw signs of old age on the tires. The second time was coming back from a hike after driving 15+ miles of gravel/dirt access roads to and from the trail head when I picked up a screw. The TLX will never be subject to either scenario. I'm not saying there is no chance I'll get a flat, but the risk is low enough that I don't worry about it.

I guess I'm a bit of a risk taker at heart. I never buy warranties on anything, and I try to get as much life as possible out of everything. Maybe this risk tolerance applies to spare tires, too!
Ha you fellas are due a karma busting flat lol

I just got my spare kit after getting e-mail saying it was on indefinite backorder? So today I planned to put it in and it snowed....

101 - 108 of 108 Posts